Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Being a fairly active member on this site, supporter of webos, and even dabbing into themes and app ideas, I am a bit concerned. I know I'm not alone in asking myself this, but will webos be my next phone?

While I know there are many fans whom I respect on this site, I am not a fan nor a flamer, but an enthusiast of technology. When palm introduced webos from a company almost going down, I had a lot of respect for them and the device and OS amazed me. Today, I can't say that I don't love my pre, more specifically webos, however, there are certain things that are making it harder to not look else where and while I do believe theres much truth to you simply buy the phone fit for you, how do you do that when your torn? I love the webos platform, the gesture area, the notification system, and synergy. I also like the ability to multitask and the customization that webos has to offer.

However, I must admit that the device is arguably not the best quality in terms of durability, and on top of that, without an overclocking patch, it can truely be unusable with the tmc errors. I was not sure whether I wanted to put that patch on, but I was at the point in which I could not take getting the tmc error when nothing was even running and read that the patch helped with that. Since then I have not had that error unless opening big games which still is annoying. What concerns me more is There is little word from palm on these issues, and everything is so mum. I've been on an on and off mood about apple, but one has to admit they are alittle better about letting people know what's going on, marketing both hardware and software. I'd like to know where palm is going. Aside from hardware and some software issues with memory, feature wise there is still room for some improvements as well as innovations. App wise, it's not about the quantity, but the quality and types of apps, is not so high, granted some apps are good for people, but honestly in comparison, as much as some might not want to agree, many of the apps which we have that are usefull have much more elegant and functional versions on other platforms, specifically iphone and sometimes android. Most of our apps suffer from basic UI design, and limited functionality. My hopes are that the pdk will help with both elegant looking, and feature packing apps. Notifications are great, however the os still doesn't have push notifications and thus many apps which would benefit from notifications don't have them due to this, or have to poll every so often to get them. I also am still shocked that webos does not have visual voicemail while android and iphone os do. (yes we have youmail and a google voicemail client, but neither are for everyone. I want native contact caller id, native voicemail pulling without outside call forwarding, and native notifications as do most other people not using current vvm clients.

In conclusion I am concerned as I feel pushed to want another device for my next phone as technology is advancing beyond palms current rate. The constant updates are awesome, and SO much has improved, so I see some hope, but with all the doom and gloom going on, apples introducing of some major features including multitasking and a xbox 360 equivalant online ecosystem, and windows phone 7's cool new features, as well as the extreme hardware android is kicking out. I feel like even for loyal webos supporters it is hard to not look at these devices and wonder, what will the new iphone 4g be like, will it come to sprint, and would i consider it? Evo looks nice, and I'm sure we'll see some nice wp7 phones this winter too so in conclusion, my question to palm is, please let us know what is going on, let the fans, supporters and tech enthusiasts know what your plans are for the features, hardware, and software issues mentioned above are. I believe the biggest contributing factor to those thinking of leaving are the lack of knowledge of the whats coming and with palm in the situation they are in now, people are concerned.

How many of you were supporters of webos and now feel compelled to possibly look elsewhere? and if so, is lack of information contributing to that?

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Wow, you did pretty good considering that you typed this from you pre . But I'm with you man, why cant palm just tell use that they will for sure release new hardware. I know about the rumor that palm said that they will by the end of this year, but considering we had knew about the pre like for like 6 months before it had came out and something tells me also that this time they want to keep it on the down low due to now one steals their idea lol. i hope to here a forsure thing from them soon
    Rubi did say they have new devices being released in the future, but of course he did not say when or what.
  4.    #4  
    if palm reps see this, people just want to know what's going on. There's so much going on in the tech world and rumors but not any word from palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    if palm reps see this, people just want to know what's going on. There's so much going on in the tech world and rumors but not any word from palm.
    +1, I mean they had no problem doing it for the pre, but now they want to be all huss, huss
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    One thing is very obvious. He was typing on a sprint Pre. Other wise we would of seen doublle letterrs.
    LMAO yeah you have a point their lol^^^^^^
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravaloft View Post
    One thing is very obvious. He was typing on a sprint Pre. Other wise we would of seen doublle letterrs.
    lol yes it's a sprint pre :/
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think that your sentiments are very similar to mine. It is hard to see other OS companies like Apple and Microsoft making announcements getting people excited about their products while Palm is being pretty tight-lipped. I know Mr Rubenstein recently spoke publicly about the issues with Palm and that they would have future devices but really there was no clear indication of a timeframe or any details. People thrive on anticipation of products. Look at all of the people that stood in lines for the Pre (I was one of them). I waited for 6 months for the Pre and was excited every day. I know that Palm is short on cash so it's hard for them but they have to create a buzz and keep the buzz going by hinting at what's coming. Isn't that the key? When the buzz is gone, people get bored. I am with Sprint and can upgrade 1 time per year. I also love new technology so if I don't hear of anything from Palm soon in regards to new hardware, I will probably meander over to Android until my next upgrade. If the new Windows Phone 7 is pretty compelling in June of next year, I may not come back to Palm for quite a while.
    Palm won't be releasing a Pre 2??
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    Palm won't be releasing a Pre 2??
    Nope. If Palm is indeed sold, it could mean any number of things, from all existing inventory pulled and carrier and manufacturer contracts canceled (with the requisite cancellation penalties), to the absolutely most awesome kick-*** device ever known to mankind produced by an invigorated Palm with their new owner's support.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nope. If Palm is indeed sold, it could mean any number of things, from all existing inventory pulled and carrier and manufacturer contracts canceled (with the requisite cancellation penalties), to the absolutely most awesome kick-*** device ever known to mankind produced by an invigorated Palm with their new owner's support.
    Yea, I'm not expecting a Pre2 anymore. I am hoping to see WebOS on someone else's device though...
    Well, my point wasn't that we wouldn't see it, just that at this point we have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. Could be terribly bad news, could be incredibly good news.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I really thought I read somewhere a long time ago that Palm never had any intention of creating more devices of their own, but instead farm out the hardware building to other companies and just control the O/S..
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I really thought I read somewhere a long time ago that Palm never had any intention of creating more devices of their own, but instead farm out the hardware building to other companies and just control the O/S..
    I don't remember anything like this, and Ruby has said recently that new product development efforts are going well. So, I think that Palm's intention (is? was?) to release new devices of their own.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Sigh I can only hope that (if HTC buys Palm) that we get the best hardware out there to go with the best software out there!

My friend got the Moment. He likes it only cause of the app selection. When I played with it, it was very annoying tapping 3-4 times just to do one thing.
    But what if palm releases the pre 2 in the fall and then the company gets sold.

What happens to those people that just bought that pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post

I'll let you know when that happens because I will be first on line for the Pre 2 as soon as it hits Sprint, regardless of what is going on with Palm!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post

Precisely the same thing that will happen to people who just bought a Pre/+ or Pixi/+ if Palm is sold tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Precisely the same thing that will happen to people who just bought a Pre/+ or Pixi/+ if Palm is sold tomorrow.
    which is???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast