Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    They'll all be lined up and shot?

Why would anything "happen" to product owners?
    There has been a lot of speculation lately about another company acquiring Palm (Nokia, Motorolla, and Lenovo have all been mentioned in acquisition talks). What impact would this have on the Pre? I bought a Pre Plus last weekend and love it, but will it be rendered obsolete if the company is bought out? Would a new company even bother with WebOS updates?
    The short answer is no one knows for sure. I wouldn't trade your Pre in based on rumors, but I'd imagine that whoever buys Palm is buying them as much for webOS as they are for their patent portfolio. Buyout or not Palm and webOS won't disappear or cease to function the day it's announced. Deals like this are complicated and take a long time to complete, I'd reckon you'll probably have moved on to a new phone by the time anything drastic happens, because it certainly won't happen over night.
    Everything will be fine.

Don't lose sleep over it. Palm and the brand name won't be going anywhere, nor will webOS.

Just sit back and enjoy your pre
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I was listening ...
    Sounds like both scenarios would be good for WebOS.

Bottom line is, owning a Pre is no more (or less) precarious now than it was last week.

Last week, we were all discussing whether or not Palm could afford the resources necessary to give the devices and the OS what they need to succeed. Now we're looking at the possibility that someone will buy the company and provide those resources, or that the possiblity that someone will buy the company and shut them down.

All we've done is switch from concern over what Palm may do, to worrying about what whoever buys them may do.

We'll know more if/when someone does buy them, or if/when Palm makes whatever change they make. Until then, the phone still works, and I suspect the udpates will continue just as they always have. I've seen nothing from Palm to indicate that anything is going to change soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sounds like both scenarios would be good for WebOS.

Bottom line is, owning a Pre is no more (or less) precarious now than it was last week.

Last week, we were all discussing whether or not Palm could afford the resources necessary to give the devices and the OS what they need to succeed. Now we're looking at the possibility that someone will buy the company and provide those resources, or that the possiblity that someone will buy the company and shut them down.

All we've done is switch from concern over what Palm may do, to worrying about what whoever buys them may do.

We'll know more if/when someone does buy them, or if/when Palm makes whatever change they make. Until then, the phone still works, and I suspect the udpates will continue just as they always have. I've seen nothing from Palm to indicate that anything is going to change soon.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    exactly.

Nothing has even been confirmed and/or denied as of late about what's going on.

Nothing will change at all
    In all fairness, JR and Palm won't let anything like that happen.

There's always stipulations to any merge/acquisition between companies. Palm is probably looking for a company to merge with to back them financially yet leave the brand name and webOS in their control, rightfully so that's how it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think it would be good for webOS. There is no reason to believe that a Chinese company would not fire every Palm employee in the US and bring everything to China. The manufacturing is already done in China so why keep the brains in the US? That's the last thing the Chinese want. It's not as if there has been any real success in the US and Europe. All they would need from webOS is a platform to run cheap domestic smartphones on. That means the EOL of the Pre and Pixi in the US and whatever else is on the drawing board.
    A lot of the major players in the phone/smartphone market are foreign companies anyway so I wouldn't even worry about that. Many of these companies have US offices so I wouldn't be surprised if the lights stayed on in Sunnyvale, in fact I'd be more surprised if they didn't. I don't think any company that buys Palm is going to just kick the developers and engineers to the curb, it just doesn't make fiscal sense to can the guys that created and developed webOS thus far in favor of people with no experience with it. It's more likely they'll supplant some of the higher ups (Rubi sadly) with one of their own leaving most of the core team intact. Just my $0.02 of course.
    Actually, I find myself in agreement with Herb. There's just not enough info right now to really get a clear picture of what the long-term outlook of Palm is. All we know is that they have a tough quarter to get through, and around the time time of the next earnings, SOMETHING (e.g. buyout/acquisitions, announcement of new hardware) tangible should give us some better clues as to where the company is going from here.

In any of the cases, no reason to enjoy your Pre less if you have one, and plenty of reason to think long and hard about buying a Pre if you don't have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, I find myself in agreement with Herb. ...
    In any of the cases, no reason to enjoy your Pre less if you have one, and plenty of reason to think long and hard about buying a Pre if you don't have one.
    Except the bolded part is where we part ways on agreement (no surprise there, huh?)

There is really no more reason to "think long and hard" now than there was last week. I'll grant that there was reason to consider carfully (though I'd have to say "long and hard" is a bit extreme), but in light of two year contracts, < $60 purchase prices (for the Pre, free for the Pixi), ETFs that amount to less than what many of us originally paid for the Pre, I'd say that while it's worth some care in consideration, the Pre and Pixi still are very "purchaseable". Especially in the context of this discussion, the swirling rumors don't make them any less so.

In short, the doom and gloom over this particular set of rumors is more than a bit overstated.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Thats what she said?
    Except the bolded part is where we part ways on agreement (no surprise there, huh?)

There is really no more reason to "think long and hard" now than there was last week. I'll grant that there was reason to consider carfully (though I'd have to say "long and hard" is a bit extreme), but in light of two year contracts, < $60 purchase prices (for the Pre, free for the Pixi), ETFs that amount to less than what many of us originally paid for the Pre, I'd say that while it's worth some care in consideration, the Pre and Pixi still are very "purchaseable". Especially in the context of this discussion, the swirling rumors don't make them any less so.

In short, the doom and gloom over this particular set of rumors is more than a bit overstated.
    Actually, when I say plenty of reason, I mean more than just buyout rumors. There's also Sprint doing regional stock blackouts as evidenced by the "Sprint Dropping The Pre" thread, which suggests that you'll be forced to pick another handset should you have any hardware issues depending on where you live.

Not saying it isn't "purchaseable"...far from it. But if I didn't have one already, the aforementioned events would give me pause.
    To answer the original question: Close your shutters, lock your doors, and curl up in a fetal position in your basement. Await further instructions. Wear lots of tin foil.

It's not going to help, but it will be funny to watch.

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Thats what she said?
    Nope, and it wasn't what he said either (I have it on very good authority that hparsons is a he, surrounded by shes, but definitely a he...).
    To kind of nudge the thread back in a sorta serious direction... I think that the biggest question one needs to ask oneself is: do I consider my smartphone purchase to be a short-term thing, or am I making a long-term investment?

For myself, although I continue to hope that Palm survives and thrives because I think webOS is the best platform, I really am looking for a long-term solution. I want to buy into a platform and use it for some time to come. That's because I use my smartphone as a real productivity tool, and so I invest a bit in time and money to make it work for me.

But, I can also imagine people who might switch smartphone platforms like they used to switch dumbphones. Maybe they'll use it for Web and email, and apps, but not in a way that couldn't easily be switched to another platform. The only cost would be apps they've purchased, but since they're pretty cheap that's not the issue it used to be when decent apps were $30 or more. For these kinds of people, I'd say, sure: buy a Pre/Pre+. You'll enjoy it for a year and then move on, just like you would with any other smartphone.

And so if I were just now considering what platform to choose, I might still choose my Pre but I'd certainly have some nagging doubts. Thing is, I'm probably less likely to switch from Sprint, and so my choices would be pretty limited. If I were on Verizon, however, then I'd be torn between the Droid (blech, but it IS a growing platform) and the Pre+. I'd probably end up with a Pre+ still, but I'd know that there's a chance (maybe remote, maybe not) that I'd be making a choice that might last a year but that I'd maybe be making the decision again sooner than I'd like.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    if web OS updates are stopped, and sales are stopped of any web OS handhelds (if apple buys them, it's a possibility, though a long shot), then the app market for webOS will just dry up.

What will then need to happen is a port of android to the pre.
    I believe at some point Palm will be bought out. It's there only viable option. Whoever buys it will determine whether the Pre model will continue or create a whole new line using the OS and improving it. My guess is that the Pre will fade away with newer models being introduced. As far as updates to the OS for the Pre specifically, that again will depend on who buys Palm and what their intended purpose is for the OS.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    (Disclaimer: This is all personal opinion so the fact-police can holster their fingers)

I think the bulk of people who were going to buy a Pre already bought it last year. So IF Palm gets bougt out and IF they stop supporting it doesn't really matter. If you're unhappy with the Pre then you'd be ditching the phone first chance regardless of Palms ownership, and if you're loyal to the Pre then you're already making compromises and excuses so you just continue on that path. Everyone wins.

as for new owners. I'm glad people like it but personally then I wouldn't recommend a product from ANY company that is struggling. It's just an unnecessary risk.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I think the new company would be smart to keep palm or even the webOS system.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast