Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Palm makes a mass majority of their money by selling the hardware. The actual OS brings in little revenue (app sales only). HTC wouldn't be too interested in WebOS because it would require them to buy a licensing fee whereas Android is free and open to manipulation. If Palm licensed to other manufacturers , then the OS would be at the discretion of Palm.
    I understand what you are saying... but why have they done it all in the past and is on board as the main Win 7 partner?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    If the Pixi where not crippled, I for one would never have bothered with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    If HTC had a phone running WebOS... wow. I mean if Palm announces it is working on a phone with HTC for release even in 2011, I wouldn't jump ship anywhere and wait it out because I know whats coming is going to be GOOD!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    If HTC had a phone running WebOS... wow. I mean if Palm announces it is working on a phone with HTC for release even in 2011, I wouldn't jump ship anywhere and wait it out because I know whats coming is going to be GOOD!
    But... very important is the Palm design... cuase I dnt want a full out touchscreen... I need my slide out landscape keyboard
    actully HTC I believe is interested in Web OS. As stated in earlier reports since 08 htc has been looking for a solid company to either have a exclusive deal, or aquire that makes its own operating system. With Palm, (and since htc and palm worked so closely together already before in past) HTC would not only aquire a competitve OS, but also the patents to fight off Apple. As goes for just the OS licensing out by Palm, they would make alot fo money doing that, (as google does this themselves and makes alot for profit) hence even googles nexus one was built by HTC so that could be a option for palm. Letting HTC design all of their phones, and allowing HTC to release phones at will, and then if they wanted to release their own design of a phone still would make them alot of money (remember the Palm treo P palms versions, and the Palm treo w windows version) but this way just regarding hardware designs. Palm would make a considerable amount of cash splitting the profits of HTC's version and a profit still releasing their version, but all running Web OS. Lets face it the only argument anyone has (even shows with laptopmags phone battle where the pre won still) is the form factor, which of course is frowned upon because every phone thats out right now is a single slab design with a large screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Highly doubt that

If so, source?
    The price differential has been closing. Amazon has also been out of the Pixi a couple times. The Pre may be selling more, but the Pixi is clearly the one outliving expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    But... very important is the Palm design... cuase I dnt want a full out touchscreen... I need my slide out landscape keyboard
    I think Palm should have one of each.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I think Palm should have one of each.
    Your 100% right... and on that note... I have 2 Pixi's in the family for my parents... and I hate that the Pixi hasn't taken off like the Centro, because it really is a sweet piece of machinery... (for me the screen is a bit too small, but for parents...they love it and never had smartphones before)

I wish they had the $$ for a High end Pre style, High end Touchscreen (or portrait slide out) and a "Lower end" Pixi...
    All we can do is wait out a "leak" of the next generation WebOS device. You know it's coming, but it's just a matter of when.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    i believe that webOS is the best OS on the market, but palm don't have the $$ to get forced market share. At the mament they are relying on the device selling itself...but with the power of HTC, Palm could have numerous webOS devices, putting phones in hands, thus elevating the platform.

and if HTC and palm worked closely, they would avoid the fragmentation issue seen by android, and have powerful hardware to deliver this awesome OS.

I'd love palm to succeed on their lonesome, but hey, this would be a great second best!
    Hi all, for what ever it is worth, I just found this as well:

Palm to be purchased by HTC or Lenovo?

April 09, 2010 @ 3:46pm by Michael Kwan

Palm to be purchased by HTC or Lenovo? - Mobile Magazine

The Palm Pre was supposed to represent the resurgence of the company. The Palm Centro and Palm Treo were quickly losing market share, but the Pre was new, exciting and innovative. Unfortunately, it seems that it wasn’t quite as big a success as Palm had hoped.

As such, there are rumors going around that Palm is available for sale and it already has two very interested suitors. Even though these acquisition rumors are just that — rumors — the Palm stock price shot up about 10% today based on the news.

As it stands, Palm is worth about $1 billion, but a bidding war could increase that price. From what we hear, both Lenovo and HTC are interested in purchasing Palm, since the acquisition could bode well for their respective smartphone businesses.

HTC could do very well by buying Palm, not only to get its hands on webOS, but also all of those smartphone and other device patents that Palm holds, which could help with HTC’s legal battle against Apple.
    ==========================
    Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    now that I think about it I blame Ruby and here is why.. When the pre launched he said Palms goal was to get it on every carrier that was the big mistake he should have had a difernt device foe the big 3. You think at&t users really want a pre plus they should be getting brandnew hardware and that's the truth.
    why should palm essentially shoot sprint users the bird by giving att new hardware when they put up with a device with a terrible track record for hardware and an undercooked os if anything sprint should be getting new hardware
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12