1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/e...-beautiful-ba/

I know there's a thread but this is more like a what if thread.

If HTC buys Palm, (I don't wanna sound like an ***** but yeah) what would happen to my phone? Would I need a whole new phone? Would my current Pre still be okay and in service?

Basically what would that mean for normal users like myself?
    if HTC buys Palm, I'm pretty sure we will see a WebOS tablet at most 6 months after the merge is completed.

and HTC will counter sue Apple for patent infrigment.
    if HTC buys Palm, I'm pretty sure we will see a WebOS tablet at most 6 months after the merge is completed.

and HTC will counter sue Apple for patent infrigment

exactly, and depending on if HTC keeps Web OS(which I'm pretty sure they would) and if they keep the internals at Palm to keep developing for the Web OS(which would be smart too since it is the only web based OS in the world) your phone will still be supported, though a new htc phone in another couple of months (prob for sprint) would make sense.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    If HTC buys Palm, (I don't wanna sound like an ***** but yeah) what would happen to my phone? Would I need a whole new phone? Would my current Pre still be okay and in service?

Basically what would that mean for normal users like myself?
    Your phone will not suddenly vanish from this plane of existence, if that's what you're asking.

If HTC is buying Palm only for their patent library, they might kill off WebOS development. If that were to happen, the heart of the Pre/Pixi is based on Linux and open-source packages. Given that the user community has done more with WebOS than Palm has the resources to do, I could see WebOS lingering on with community-produced updates (even if Palm were to shut down today) as long as there was still viable phone hardware available.

Keep in mind that there are emulators out there for the Atari 2600, Commodore Amiga, and even the 1980's biggest disappointment IBM's OS/2, ans all are being supported by an active community of fans when their corporate support has long since ended. I'm not going to go out on a limb and make any bold predictions, but I do suspect that WebOS can be pried out of the Pre/Pixi and glued onto another platform quite simply. (Heck, the developer's kit emulator is a prime example, running on an x86 Linux emulator!) If Palm's parting gift to the WebOS community is to release the source code to everything that they've written, WebOS might just thrive as an open-source alternative to Android and all of Google's evil-ness for years to come.

If HTC is buying Palm for WebOS, it could very well be the start of a very good thing for us. I believe that they have the ability to push WebOS to critical mass as an application platform, where Palm just can't seem to get it into enough hands alone. I suspect that HTC also has the resources to put a bigger in-house software development team onto WebOS, which will bring us the missing features quicker than Palm can do it today with their limited staffing.

My $0.02 is to let the situation play out, and let's see what happens. Whether it's open-source, community supported, or taken over by HTC, WebOS will be around and viable for at least two more years regardless of what happens.....
    and I hope the ladder, that HTC is seeking the purchase to expand Web oS, not to scrape it and just keep the patents. Lets keep our fingers crossed for either HTC or whoever puts a bid in.
    If HTC purchase Palm, I see them using WebOS as there brand of software for mobile devices. I've seen a tread of hardware companies developing and marketing there own OS for mobile devices.

I also see some WebOS features making it's way into the Sense UI interface for Android and Windows 6.5 devices.