Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    nice. . . How much is gain tax?
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    nice. . . How much is gain tax?
    Capital gains tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have some stock to sell you, only $12.65 per share - how many do you want?????

No Fee, use Pre, don't care!!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    For example I buy at 5 sell at 10 it drops back to 5 I buy again. . Rinse and repeat
    That's not illegal unless you've been given non-public information (for example an employee of a company telling you they are getting bought out before it's announced). If you can find a stock that you can continually ride for short ups and downs. I don't personally recommend this kind of investment but I also invest in heavy industry, slow steady rises (except for last year).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    Hey, what is an easy way for me to buy a few shares of Palm stock?
    if you don't know how, you shouldn't be buying individual stocks yet (and you certainly shouldn't be buying a "few" shares of a $5 stock. commisions will kill you). seriously. you need to be doing some research and learn about how the market works before you buy.
    yep... buy a jim cramer book and bone up. that's why in the other thread i recommended putting your head between your needs and hold tight if you did buy

honestly, it's had it's run up so i would be careful... i had thought it could be a good pop from 3 to 6 on buyout rumors but that's about it.

just read this article and they really make a good point that $5 is expensive for this company

Palm fueled by rumors, but price would be high - MarketWatch

Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    if you don't know how, you shouldn't be buying individual stocks yet (and you certainly shouldn't be buying a "few" shares of a $5 stock. commisions will kill you). seriously. you need to be doing some research and learn about how the market works before you buy.
    Which trading site requires the lowest acount balance and transaction fee? Not that familiar with all the diffrent ones out there.
    a few were mentioned in this thread...

etrade = $1000.00 min deposit to start.
    scotttrade - $500.00 min deposit.
    i believe zecco min is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    a few were mentioned in this thread...

etrade = $1000.00 min deposit to start.
    scotttrade - $500.00 min deposit.
    Buy palm stock now
    typically you will need $25K to start a day trading account as well. Zecco is good. I use firstrade myself but willbe opening an acct at zecco shortly.
    I had bought a book about this a month ago cause this is something that I'm interested in getting in to, so far I'm debating about either being passive or aggressive, but still have not made up my mind yet and leaning more in to aggressive
    Fidelity has a decent mobile site, although I only use it for cash not trading so can't go into detail there...
    http://www.zecco.com

$4.50 commission fee per trade.

+

No mininum account balance.

You won't find it anywhere cheaper.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I am looking to start investing myself. . What would you guys recommend if you only had ur pre to browse the website?? Would you guys recommend buy and sell repeatedly? Is it legal? For example I buy at 5 sell at 10 it drops back to 5 I buy again. . Rinse and repeat
    Pattern day trader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use www.thinkorswim.com Their software is amazing. The CS is excellent. They have no problems with reserving shares for you for free. Also they don't bother you about the pattern day trading if you don't do it too often.

Jim Cramer is a hack.
    I think ima check out that zecco one. cant afford to have to leave a deposit at the moment, but instead trying to get my money working for me fast
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I bought my PALM shares through Sharebuilder (Buy Stocks Online and invest your money at ShareBuilder). They are apparently an affiliate of ING Bank (Online Banking - ING DIRECT USA - Save Your Money!).
    Sharebuilder has NO minimum account and NO minimum trade. They charge $4 per trade as long as you trade on the day they specify, which I believe is every tuesday. If you want to trade realtime, then the fee is approximately $9 or $10
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    I think ima check out that zecco one. cant afford to have to leave a deposit at the moment, but instead trying to get my money working for me fast
    so, to be clear:
    - you just bought a book about stocks a month ago
    - you're going to trade individual stocks
    - you're going to be aggressive
    - you can't afford a deposit in a brokerage account
    - you're looking to get your money working for you fast

this is a recipe for disaster. but to play along, let's ask the easy questions first:
    1- what money are you looking to get working for you "fast" when you can't afford a deposit?
    1a- do you have an emergency account?
    1b- what happens to your financial situation if you lose all the money you invest?
    2- how much money do you have to invest?
    2a- "aggressive" and "fast" to me, imply that you're planning on being an active trader. how many trades do you think you're going to make a week?

some general info for all you guys looking to jump in with both feet:
    - even the pros generally aren't very good at this. there's a reason indexed funds are so popular- many actively managed funds don't beat the index. what makes you think you can do better than the pros?
    - even analysts who follow specific companies and specific markets don't agree where a stock price is going. do you know more about the companies and the markets you're looking into than the analysts?

when starting out, why not:
    - start with a stock tracker / watch list and make dummy trades. see if you're really as good at picking stocks as you think you are.
    - save money while you're doing this. invest in an index fund if you must. although the dow hit 11k and closed at the highest point since sept 2008 (did you know that? if not, you're probably not ready to buy individual stocks). this is a nice year long rally- continuing trend, or bubble?
    - remember, you need a decent amount to start- trading in small amounts KILLS you in commissions. do you know that you pay a commission to buy AND to sell? if you're paying $10/trade on little $500 lots, you need to make 4% just to break even. 4% over the long term is a lot. traders that do 4% better than the indices are rock stars. for example, $10k compounded over 25 years, 8% gets you $38k, but 12% gets you $130k.

some specific questions about palm for you to think about:
    - you do realize this is a company still bleeding money, right?
    - that, of course, doesn't mean it's not going to start making some.
    - but why do you think palm is going to start now, with iphone and android being so much stronger. you realize that palm has been stagnant the last year, while android is skyrocketing, right?
    Mods,

Please move this thread to the General Palm Forum - thanks!!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I am looking to start investing myself. . What would you guys recommend if you only had ur pre to browse the website?? Would you guys recommend buy and sell repeatedly? Is it legal? For example I buy at 5 sell at 10 it drops back to 5 I buy again. . Rinse and repeat
    ahhh, if it only were that simple... :-)
    Sanyo 8100 => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Pre (all on Sprint)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast