Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Either Palm has no mindshare, or I'm a really poor salesperson. Despite all the gloating I do about my Pre, I have only succeeded in getting one friend to buy a webOS phone. Everyone else has either bought an Android or an iPhone. Some friends know I like the Pre and surprise me with an iPhone or Android purchase, never having grilled me about the Pre. It seems like Palm was never really ever in the running.

This isn't a technology issue. This is a mind share/marketing issue.

Just venting. Nothing else to say, except that I find myself blaming the freaky ad campaign. I guess it's hard to go up against phones with Google or Apple brand recognition.
    Im slowly converting my work :-D.

My boss got one, our local consultant got one and his wife, an employee and his wife got theres.

World domination my friend!. I can tell you in the year I have owned this phone, I have only seen 1 other person other then the people I have convienced (and end up loving the phone btw) that has this phone.
    I'm up to 1 actual and 2 "going to get" when contract expires or discount contract gets in place. It is amazing what a little hands on time with the Pre and someone that knows what they're doing on it (not a sales person) can do.

I just can't get past the Verizon lock-in mindset. They only give us 8% off and are extremely overpriced. We're in the process of getting a deal with Sprint for 25% off, give you voice text and data for less that Verizon, plus they let you accumulate discounts (at least when I originally got my Pre).
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I've goten 2 people to buy them. My friend thugpipe does pop ont he forums form time to time and another friend who is never here and only has preware because i put it on her phone for her. I have 1 other friend who bought one himself without my prodding so I know a total of 3 people with them. Ironically thats not to far behind the number of "iphone friends" i have so I think I'm doing pretty good percentage wise. I also take a lot of credit for 90% of my friends now owning xbox360s. Most where either ps2 people or just hadn't owned a console in years. I'm terrible persistent
    I went home for the first time recently in a while ... 7 people in my household had an iPhone. I was the only non-iPhone owner (I won't lie, I'm running Android these days).
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Either Palm has no mindshare, or I'm a really poor salesperson. Despite all the gloating I do about my Pre, I have only succeeded in getting one friend to buy a webOS phone. Everyone else has either bought an Android or an iPhone. Some friends know I like the Pre and surprise me with an iPhone or Android purchase, never having grilled me about the Pre. It seems like Palm was never really ever in the running.

This isn't a technology issue. This is a mind share/marketing issue.

Just venting. Nothing else to say, except that I find myself blaming the freaky ad campaign. I guess it's hard to go up against phones with Google or Apple brand recognition.
    I think you've summed up the reason why the Pre failed -- it was never on anyone's radar because of questionable decisions made by Palm. Developers didn't care because they didn't want to stop writing native code to focus on webapps. Users didn't care because they didn't want to wait for the missing features and genuine third party support to gradually appear. Trying to convince both groups to take a leap of faith because "hey, we have cards and we integrate your Facebook friends list into your contacts" is tough to do when there are other platforms they could be spending time on.