Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu told Marketwatch that he wasn't sure Lenovo could pull off a purchase of Palm, suggesting that other possible buyers include Hewlett-Packard Inc. (NYSE:HPQ), Dell Inc. (NASDAQELL) and Cisco Systems Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO).
    "HP is definitely more plausible," the news site quoted Wu as saying.
    Palm really isnt doing that bad....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Palm really isnt doing that bad....
    No, they're not, I agree. I remain hopeful that they can survive on their own. However, with their stock price so low, they could definitely be a target, and ultimately they (the current board and officers) would have nothing to say about it if someone came along with a good enough offer.

So, if we're forced to speculate, I'm glad to see HP getting some mention. They'd be my first choice--they're making great hardware, including solid mobile devices (running Win Mobile only), and have been doing a lot with touch. If anyone were to come out with a webOS tablet, I think HP would be it--webOS on their upcoming slate would be very nice. And HP could benefit as well as anyone from Palm's patent portfolio.

Lenovo would be interesting as well, with their IdeaPad U1 deal, but in the end I think HP would remain the better option. And I'd rather an American company buys them if anyone does.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I wouldn't mind if a good hardware producer scooped up Palm. Let Palm make the OS and some manufacturer produce 3 or 4 good phones for it with different form factors.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So, if we're forced to speculate, I'm glad to see HP getting some mention. They'd be my first choice--they're making great hardware, including solid mobile devices (running Win Mobile only), and have been doing a lot with touch. If anyone were to come out with a webOS tablet, I think HP would be it--webOS on their upcoming slate would be very nice. And HP could benefit as well as anyone from Palm's patent portfolio.
    +1
    If I am HP CEO I would buy palm. HP is not getting relevant lately in the mobile space. They won the PC war on Dell. But the PC market is slowing down. The next big thing is tablets/slates. HP cannot compete with the likes of APPLE/ and all the other Chromium based tablets if they partner with Microsoft. Plus Hp is nowhere to be seen in mobile phones. PALM makes perfect sense for HP. They can be relevant in tablet + mobile business.

Then there is a small matter of Patents.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    +1
    If I am HP CEO I would buy palm. HP is not getting relevant lately in the mobile space. They won the PC war on Dell. But the PC market is slowing down. The next big thing is tablets/slates. HP cannot compete with the likes of APPLE/ and all the other Chromium based tablets if they partner with Microsoft. Plus Hp is nowhere to be seen in mobile phones. PALM makes perfect sense for HP. They can be relevant in tablet + mobile business.

Then there is a small matter of Patents.
    Hmm least I predicted ..... Tablet anyone ?
    you are the man... Nice call
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hmm least I predicted ..... Tablet anyone ?
    HP's patent library's about to become more formidable...
    You know, that's an angle I hadn't considered. Palm wouldn't have thrown down with Apple over infringements of Palm's IP because Apple could have just bled them out. However, HP is in a much better position to take on such a fight, if they want to do so. Interesting. I imagine the Apple lawyers are pouring over all of Palm's patents to prepare a defense right now.

Gargoyle