1.    #1  
    Palm and Modernista Part Ways
    Tech Marketer Launching Talks With New Shops

April 5, 2010

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- Palm is severing ties with its agency, Modernista, and has already begun talking to other agencies about future relationships, according to executives familiar with the matter. The Boston-based independent shop has handled advertising for Palm since the technology company launched its Pre smartphone last summer. Palm spent $35 million in U.S. measured media in 2009, according to Kantar Media. Read the full story at adage -- Kunur Patel
  2.    #2  
    Hmm my url got cut because my post count is too low. Here it is:

adage.com/agencynews/article?article_id=143141
    Its good to hear that Palm has finally started to place a tourniquet on the hemorrhage that was their marketing. I just wished they noted this 6 months ago. Hopefully, this means that they will find a competent ad agency to get people thinking about webOS.
    What took so long? They should have canned them after the "creepy girl" ads.
    Good for Palm. Probably the best business decision they have made in a long time.
    I can see people now saying "but I liked the creepy palm girl commercial"
    Those 'creepy' ads may have been appealing to some...but they did less than nothing to build customer excitement to check out the new devices. Horrible ad company... better late than never for Palm. I hope they hook up with a major player in the advertising industry!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Go Palm, Finally a step in the right direction!
    Looks like that contract was not up for renewal lol

1074.gif Did Someone Say Party 1074.gif
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Wait a minute....there was actually advertising for the Pre?
    I'd like to high five Rubinstein for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    What took so long? They should have canned them after the "creepy girl" ads.
    I agree!! They did this way too late, after reports of below average sales. No one informed them earlier that the ads weren't drawing in customers? Or they didn't notice this themselves?

Sometimes, I can see why people on other sites keep thinking Palm is going to die. They are almost always late, late, late.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Personally, someone from Palm had to approve the creepy girl advertisements. After all Palm IS their customer! I will say that 100% of the blame should go to Palm because if they did not approved those adverts, how would they have gotten into the market?
    Well sometimes you THINK something will work and it bombs. Ad campaigns have gone wrong before with other companies. But what surprises me is Palm didn't seem to notice until it was too late, AGAIN.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I can see people now saying "but I liked the creepy palm girl commercial"
    Hey, I liked the "creepy palm girl" ads!

But y'all are right--those weird ads had nothing to do with my decision to get a Pre. I can't imagine anyone seeing that and saying "I gotta get me THAT phone 'cause the creepy girl said so!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well sometimes you THINK something will work and it bombs. Ad campaigns have gone wrong before with other companies. But what surprises me is Palm didn't seem to notice until it was too late, AGAIN.
    And yet, we could ALL have told them they wouldn't work. We don't need image ads or positioning ads, we need merit-based ads that show everyday tasks done right.

Remember Microsoft once used the tag line "everyday tasks made easy"?

Prospective buyers want to know what the phone is going to do for them to make their day better. Check out the user-created videos in the PalmSpot contest. Here is the best one...IMHO

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

If Palm used that exact script, re-shot the video for TV standards, they would have a winner....
    lmao check out their joke of a website!

Modernista!
    They might want to remove this link.

Modernista!

It brings up nothing but articles about Palm dumping them!
    Actually their website concept is interesting. But you do get the feeling they are "different" so I don't think Palm made the right choice to begin with.

Palm needed to attract the average masses. Even Motorola, who was absolutely in the toilet more than Palm at the time, managed to do this. The phone I got yesterday is partial proof of that, the Droid even more so.

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Just checked Wikipedia and I had to just say "really" at Gary Koeple's comments on the Pre...what lala land is this guy living in. It is amazing that this guy got paid for the ad campaign that they put together tripping on acid.

----------------

Modernista! Amsterdam is currently declared bankrupt.[10]

Modernista! will be remembered always for their avante-garde Ad campaign for the PALM Pre in 2009, considered a creepy campaign by many, that polarized the viewers and made them uncomfortable. Gary Koepke, the co-founder and executive creative director of Modernista himself stated in the magazine "Advertising Age",

"The Pre is probably being talked about more than other phones right now because of the marketing and advertising, and that's a good thing. Could the ads work harder to show exactly how the phone works? Yes, but we knew it would be polarizing people to have a woman not shout at them and tell an interesting story."

Some attribute the lack of market acceptance for Palms Pre phones, in part, to the Ad campaign by Modernista.

On April 5th, 2010 Modernista lost the Palm Pre account, with Palm looking at other shops for its future marketing. [11]
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo