Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to share the commercial I made for the PalmSpot contest... As much as I personally understand what Palm's Life Move Fast commercial was trying to show, I don't think the masses really get it without voiceover or an explanation of the phone/OS.. so, I tried to just keep it simple and show off how the OS and device work together and what it can bring to the user! let me know what everyone thinks...

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

P.S. I know that I say that all webOS phones get the latest OS update in a matter of days (as per 1.4), even thought we now have 1.4 (verizon), 1.4.1, and 1.4.1.1. But, I filmed this before 1.4.1 and 1.4.1.1 were released and as far as i am concerned, we are all still on 1.4.x, which is pretty darn good for me and nothing like android's fragmentation!
    Good job
    You did a good job showing what the phone can do. However it comes off much more like an infomercial or a quick review then it does an add spot.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Great job showing all the features!
    http://learning.palm.com/splg/webos/

palm / webos learning video
    palm is very lucky that they have a very dedicated and loyal group of user base. i'm sure they're monitoring forums like this one, but to get the message to palm loud and clear i am forwarding the link to them anyway. thx for making that video.
    Great job, that was awesome!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    You did a good job showing what the phone can do. However it comes off much more like an infomercial or a quick review then it does an add spot.
    I totally agree, but if it explains the phone to someone who hasn't seen it before, then I think it works. I posted the link of facebook and a friend wrote back "Not the most creative...BUTTTTT You ABSOLUTELY sold me on it!!! I got everything it does...and having a Blackberry, I also witnessed everything my phone doesn't do. I especially liked the way the browser works. I hate the browser on my Blackberry so much, I barely use it."

so, that was my goal, and it seems to be working! now i just need 5,000,000 more people to see it (ok, lets be realistic.. 500,000! )
    Last edited by Audemars02; 04/05/2010 at 10:06 AM.
    nice content and you have a good "commercial voice", energetic.

but ouch, that sound/feedback was annoying. 3.5/5 stars.

Fix and you have a VERY good one and contender for the contest.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    nice content and you have a good "commercial voice", energetic.

but ouch, that sound/feedback was annoying. 3.5/5 stars.

Fix and you have a VERY good one and contender for the contest.
    feedback? i dont hear any when i play it...does anyone else?
    +1 Wow!

That is the most practical and understandable submission I have seen so far. If Palm took that exact script and ran it through a professional re-production, that would be fantastic. That's the most meaningful example of "merit marketing" I've ever seen for the Palm.

We don't need "image ads" or "positioning". We need ads that show practical example of what the phone can do, and how it does it better.

The MotoDroid ads accomplished that with the "human search" but that's getting old and it's a very narrow use case. Now they added searching for stars... not very practical. What I like about the droid ads is the use of the robot makes the keystrokes seem quick and easy (notoce the robot never trys to use the physical keyboard).

What you've done here is show the essence of each step as crisply as the iphone ads do, and with a very practical set of tasks. Not that most of us probably play games frequently - but the younger segments of the population (every highschooler that got an iPhone from mommy and daddy) will get that. I think the commentary such as "try that on an iPhone" was brilliant, and Palm should should just flat-out copy what you've done here.

Now, the next challenge is to do this with a side-by-side comparison to how that same set of tasks would look on Android and iPhone.

Example. Three co-workers in an airport passing time on a game. The boss sends an e-mail to all three. What happens to each of their phones. REsume game, they get facebook and txt updates. What happens. If someone could take the view of just the phone taken in this ad to show each experience (one commercial vs iphone, a second against droid in the interest of making it fit in 20-45 seconds)it would be a POWERFUL follow-up second punch.

So first this ad shows what Palm can do, the follow-up shows how bad the same experience would be for the others. You know that every iPhone user would say "ya, I hate when that happens" every time they see the commercial" because they would be seeing what actually happens to them in every day life.

That's the key to merit-based ads (and merit-based attack ads). ANd it's what Palm users seem to grok better than any other community:

SHow practical examples of how the phone makes your every day life better. ANd then show how it makes an iPhone users every day life a little bit frustrating.

I hope that someone much smarter than me can take that concept and put it into a video. I can see it in my head, but I could never create such a video - even if I had access to an iPhone or Android...

ANy takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Just wanted to share the commercial I made for the PalmSpot contest... As much as I personally understand what Palm's Life Move Fast commercial was trying to show, I don't think the masses really get it without voiceover or an explanation of the phone/OS.. so, I tried to just keep it simple and show off how the OS and device work together and what it can bring to the user! let me know what everyone thinks...

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

P.S. I know that I say that all webOS phones get the latest OS update in a matter of days (as per 1.4), even thought we now have 1.4 (verizon), 1.4.1, and 1.4.1.1. But, I filmed this before 1.4.1 and 1.4.1.1 were released and as far as i am concerned, we are all still on 1.4.x, which is pretty darn good for me and nothing like android's fragmentation!
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the nice words!!! And I actually tried to do something like you suggested showing a "side-by-side" set of actions and have some great ideas, but just dont have the skills.. my simple "records the device" ad was hard enough for me to do! but if anyone out there who has the skills wants to work together to create an ad, i would be more than happy to share my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    +1 Wow!

That is the most practical and understandable submission I have seen so far. If Palm took that exact script and ran it through a professional re-production, that would be fantastic. That's the most meaningful example of "merit marketing" I've ever seen for the Palm.

We don't need "image ads" or "positioning". We need ads that show practical example of what the phone can do, and how it does it better.

The MotoDroid ads accomplished that with the "human search" but that's getting old and it's a very narrow use case. Now they added searching for stars... not very practical. What I like about the droid ads is the use of the robot makes the keystrokes seem quick and easy (notoce the robot never trys to use the physical keyboard).

What you've done here is show the essence of each step as crisply as the iphone ads do, and with a very practical set of tasks. Not that most of us probably play games frequently - but the younger segments of the population (every highschooler that got an iPhone from mommy and daddy) will get that. I think the commentary such as "try that on an iPhone" was brilliant, and Palm should should just flat-out copy what you've done here.

Now, the next challenge is to do this with a side-by-side comparison to how that same set of tasks would look on Android and iPhone.

Example. Three co-workers in an airport passing time on a game. The boss sends an e-mail to all three. What happens to each of their phones. REsume game, they get facebook and txt updates. What happens. If someone could take the view of just the phone taken in this ad to show each experience (one commercial vs iphone, a second against droid in the interest of making it fit in 20-45 seconds)it would be a POWERFUL follow-up second punch.

So first this ad shows what Palm can do, the follow-up shows how bad the same experience would be for the others. You know that every iPhone user would say "ya, I hate when that happens" every time they see the commercial" because they would be seeing what actually happens to them in every day life.

That's the key to merit-based ads (and merit-based attack ads). ANd it's what Palm users seem to grok better than any other community:

SHow practical examples of how the phone makes your every day life better. ANd then show how it makes an iPhone users every day life a little bit frustrating.

I hope that someone much smarter than me can take that concept and put it into a video. I can see it in my head, but I could never create such a video - even if I had access to an iPhone or Android...

ANy takers?
  12.    #12  
    Woohoo...my commercial has sold another friend on the Pre Plus!!!!

(just had to share)
    definitely liked this, coulda used some music i thought
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
  14.    #14  
    Please support my add:
    OR
    (The sound quality isn't as good as the webOSRoundup link, but it's the same commercial)
    Great job
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Great job
    Thanks! please spread the word!
    Audemars02, your video was ace. The content was well thought out and the viewer gets a thorough understanding of what the phone is all about. I can see something like this being split into 4 smaller commercials and run in quickfire ads on the TV. One of my favourites.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Audemars02, your video was ace. The content was well thought out and the viewer gets a thorough understanding of what the phone is all about. I can see something like this being split into 4 smaller commercials and run in quickfire ads on the TV. One of my favourites.
    Thanks...I kinda thought the same thing... actually, like I said in my entry, I really just took a page out of the Apple playbook in designing this thing: just show how the phone works! but, i figured that for my entry, I had 2 minutes to use, so I was going to use them all! :-)

If you could, please work to spread the word.. got twitter? here is a sample tweet you can use:
    "Please RT -- Support @Audemars02 's #PalmSpot Commecial "WebOS Does & Does & Does Some More". Watch it at http://tinyurl.com/webosdoes "

THANKS!
    Adam
    This video is totally top notch! If I didn't have a pre, I would be ******* interested in looking it up after seeing that.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    This video is totally top notch! If I didn't have a pre, I would be ******* interested in looking it up after seeing that.
    SWEET! So make sure you show this to all your friends who DON'T have it to convince them!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast