1.    #1  
    The Treo is too quiet. Using the jog dial, I can't even hear the caller until the volume is set to about 5 out of 8, and on a city street or in a car, I always have it on 8.

Now, clearly the Treo can be made louder - we have the speakerphone function, which is about '15' on the 1-8 scale. The problem is that there is no way to make it that loud using the volume control - you must hit the speakerphone button, which is TOO loud.

It seems the problem is that the volume dial is just setup wrong. '1' should be a setting where you can barely hear the caller, '8' should be almost as loud as the speakerphone setting.

I propose someone write a hack to correct this, and I'll pay money for it when it's done. I bet others will too. It is very simple - simply change the 'scale' of the volume control so that it goes from 5-15, rather than 1-8. Make sense?
    or maybe you could put it on speakerphone with the volume really low and still hold it up to your ear!
  3.    #3  
    The only problem with the "always use speakerphone" approach is that the phone always defaults back to non-speakerphone mode with each new call...
    Actually, that's a product defect. See this thread: Is it supposed to sound like this?

I've already ordered a replacement Treo 270 because of this problem.
    I called handspring for a replacement TREO 270 yesterday. The speaker in the one I recently received is much weaker than the TREO 180 my wife currently has. I can barely hear the Speakerphone and placing it to my ear is too quiet also at full volume level. I guess this is a pretty common problem...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    My Speakerphone seems somewhat louder than my Treo 180. The headset (speakerphone off) is about the same as the Treo 180.
  7.    #7  
    I'd like to clarify something - my speakerphone is PLENTY loud. Clearly the Treo can be loud enough.

The problem is simply that the jog dial does not allow access to the higher volumes.
    Make sure you have the speaker located directly over your ear. When I have my vol all the way up, I can hear it across the room (NOT on speakerphone), yet I'll hand it to someone else and they'll have trouble hearing it. Thanks to the clear window I can see they have it up too high, and they're missing the speaker.
    Your not crazy ..... your right ..... it needs a hach to correct the speaker problem ..... hopefully it will come .... Bob
    Hear Hear! I agree too. I live in Manhattan, and the volume is a bit too low for the street sometimes. Any developers want a crack at it?.....
    i'm having the same problem. my speakerphone is PLENTY loud...but the regular volume is unacceptably low, i can't hear the person unless i am in a superquiet room. is there any fix in the works? has anyone had success returning the phone for a new one?