1.    #1  
    Well, my wife is on her way back from her trip. I'll soon have to give up the TREO 270 (hey, I bought it for her-really). While she was out of town, her TREO 270 arrived and I used it for two days instead of my normal VisorPrism/VisorPhone configuration. I must say, it has been a pleasure using this device for the past two days.

Will I miss it, Yes! Will it be difficult to look at the VisorPrism the same after holding the tiny little color phone for two days, Yes! Would I consider buying a TREO 270 for myself, Yes/No. I would, but only with some form of expandability (SD with SDIO Support). Even some adapter to plug into the bottom TREO 270 connector would sooth my concern. I will miss the keyboard and the small size/convenience of the unit. It desparately needs a single-button to press for the "Applications" silk-screen on a typical graphitti palm device. It is a royal pain having to press two buttons for something used so frequently, a definite design flaw in my opinion. For the rest, superb.

I still have this fear of a Hard Reset while travelling and no way to restore my configuration. I don't carry a laptop with me and this is why the VisorPrism/VisorPhone/MemPlug will be the solution I stick with, at least for now. That is, until the TREO 370 comes out OR an add-on exists to allow SD/SDIO connectivity through the HotSync port on the TREO 270.

Great job Handspring, this device will be a winner.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Sorry to see you leave...

By all means I think you are right on the expandability issue through the Hotsynch port.

This issue was neglected for a long time...
    1st as palm had serial and not USB.
    then as HS had thier expandability, so no one bothered to use the USB.

>>> It is about time someone will pick that glove, as palm products migrated to USB (though they too have their Expandability, so...), and mainly since us TREO users have no other option.

As stated before, I would love to be able to use that port for more then just HotSync - Using other USB products, such as M-Systems DiskOnKey - which could also be great as it can be directly loaded from any PC.
    Then a Snap Keyboard for the 180g...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jonecool
    I still have this fear of a Hard Reset while travelling and no way to restore my configuration. I don't carry a laptop with me and this is why the VisorPrism/VisorPhone/MemPlug will be the solution I stick with, at least for now. That is, until the TREO 370 comes out OR an add-on exists to allow SD/SDIO connectivity through the HotSync port on the TREO 270.
    My solution to this is that when I'm away from the office I travel with an ultralight Toshiba Portege laptop. I hotsync my Treo to the laptop daily via IR-- don't even need to carry the hotsync cable. Not sure if this works for everyone, but no worries if I ever have to do a hard reset on the road (BTW, in three and a half months of fairly intense use, this only happened to me once, caused by the TreoMail Beta early on.)
    Another possibility is to get some small secondary el cheapo Palm -- say, a second-hand Palm V -- for backing up your most critical data (e.g. the address book) and beaming to the Treo until you can get to a PC for a complete restoration. You could conceivably do a full system backup with an expandible PDA like a VDX + MemPlug.

Obviously, it's not as elegant as popping in an SD card, but it's better than hauling a laptop everywhere.

Another approach is to investigate web-based conduits. I know that with the Kyocera 6035 it was possible to send and receive data to MyPalm.com, and while that particular service is (I think) offline, there's probably an identical service out there. If not, I've just given you a business plan!

There are also credit card-sized electronic phonebooks by Rolodex and other manufacturers that can at least allow you have carry a secondary contact list.
    Originally posted by jonecool
    It desparately needs a single-button to press for the "Applications" silk-screen on a typical graphitti palm device. It is a royal pain having to press two buttons for something used so frequently, a definite design flaw in my opinion.
    Actually, once I installed Switcheroo (an extremely rockin, cool and FREE hack) I hardly EVER even go to the apps screen anymore. You will definitley want to score that for the wife. Mine is slow to warm up on a lot of tech stuff but with Switcheroo she was digging it from the get go.

You should give it a try with it, it just might push you over the edge

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I concur with Veloslave - Switcheroo rocks - I rarely use the Apps screen.

I'll also add that Switcheroo is a STABLE hack - while some other hacks have proven troublesome on the treo, Switcheroo has caused no problems for anyone to date as far as I know...

Paul
    Forgive me for my ignorance, though I worked for Compaq and now HP that sell Pocket PCs and read only once where a PDA problem can cause lost of data, is that the same as a hard reset? I am a user of 9210 but has not happened to me yet even when the power goes away from the battery - my data is intact both in the MC card and in the 9210 memory.

As I am looking at using a Treo 270 in the field and travelling, how bad is that and how frequent? is that common among PDAs?
    It desparately needs a single-button to press for the "Applications" silk-screen on a typical graphitti palm device. It is a royal pain having to press two buttons for something used so frequently, a definite design flaw in my opinion. For the rest, superb.
    I reprogrammed my SMS button to bring up the application switcher. I thought it was silly to have to hit a combination of keys, too.
    -Jim
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    Forgive me for my ignorance, though I worked for Compaq and now HP that sell Pocket PCs and read only once where a PDA problem can cause lost of data, is that the same as a hard reset? I am a user of 9210 but has not happened to me yet even when the power goes away from the battery - my data is intact both in the MC card and in the 9210 memory.

As I am looking at using a Treo 270 in the field and travelling, how bad is that and how frequent? is that common among PDAs?
    I own a Treo 180 and I have the same question. I thought a hard reset was that button on the back of the Treo that you have to use a small pin to press. I've press it a couple of times to experiment to see if I lose data (contacts, pqas, memo notes, etc)... the data persists. If that button isn't the hard reset that everybody claims that loses their data, then what is???
    Originally posted by icedivr

I reprogrammed my SMS button to bring up the application switcher. I thought it was silly to have to hit a combination of keys, too.
    -Jim
    I think Switcheroo would still be a lot faster. With Switcheroo it would be three buttons with only ONE screen change... and NO jog wheel and NO stylus (or finger smudge ;-)

I would put Switcheroo in the top three must haves, aside from what the Treo comes with.

This message was brought to you as a public announcement, the author has no affiliation with the makers of Switcheroo or it affiliates. Family members ARE allowed to use the program or this information

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I own a Treo 180 and I have the same question. I thought a hard reset was that button on the back of the Treo that you have to use a small pin to press. I've press it a couple of times to experiment to see if I lose data (contacts, pqas, memo notes, etc)... the data persists. If that button isn't the hard reset that everybody claims that loses their data, then what is???
    That is the hard reset button, but you have to be holding down the power button at the same time you press the pin in. At least that is the way hard resets were done on old Palms. If you don't hold down the power button, it is a soft reset.
  12.    #12  
    Well, it's certain. My wife is going to sell her TREO 180 and keep the TREO270. She "liked" the TREO180, she "Loves" the TREO 270. Guess it's time to auction the TREO180 off on Ebay... She hasn't even had the TREO but a month an a half. It's a good thing I'm a firm believer in screen protectors, it's in perfect condition.

She also mentioned the TREO270 seems to draw graphics allot faster than the 180. I noticed the same thing, I can't imagine why. It's the same processor, but it does seem to be about %15 faster response time in certain applications.

Oh well, I'll still get to use it on occassion
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod

Yes, only a hard reset, brought on by battery frailure (complete drainage or other failure), and severe program malfunction (crash) will erase the data in the device. Hard resets are few and far between for most people, if they EVER have one. Those at higher risk are people like us who test buggy new software, install tons of system extensions (hacks) and push the devices to their limits.

Your "9210" (iPaq of some kind?) didn't lose data after the battery apparently went dead because the battery didn't actually go completely dead. It wouldn't turn on because the battery was too low, and it was preventing use so that your data could be retained until you charged it again. RAM will lost the data stored on it when the power is gone, no matter what kind of device or OS it is. Your memory card, on the other hand, is probably flash memory, which CAN retain data after the power is removed (in fact, power is only used on the card to read and write data, mostly to write). So even if the battery in your device completely died, erasing the RAM, the memory card would still have its data on it.

The Treo, like all good PDA's (Palm OS, or PocketPC, or whatever), will force a power-off when the battery gets too low to safely run and retain data. This will only happen if you leave it on (wireless as well) 24/7 for several days (depending on your wireless signal strength and usage patterns, of course ;-). Anyone away from a computer that long should at least bring a power cable to keep the Treo charged... just like any other PDA (well, one that sucks up the juice, anyway ;-).

If you take your Treo, and use only the included software, or at least the tried and true, well tested applications, it's VERY unlikely that you'll ever have the misfortune of a hard reset. If you cram it full of beta software and hacks, then a hard reset COULD happen. More often, though, it's just a soft reset, as many PPC's require for efficient use on a regular basis. ;-)

As for Switcheroo, I wouldn't call it bulletproof. While I can't rule out the possibility of a conflict from another hack or program, I had a hard reset just the other night while I was playing with Switcheroo. I had just programmed a few more apps to buttons, and I was running through them all one at a time. You know, opt+q, opt+w, opt+e, etc... Well, about half way through, I got a blank screen. Looking closer I could see the line at the top that indicated debug mode. Soft and warm resets had no positive effect. I ended up hard resetting to get it working again. I restored all my data the next morning and haven't had a problem since. Maybe it doesn't like doing app switching like crazy like I was doing, and maybe it was something else entirely. Just thought some of you might want to know about that, though.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Thanks a lot, Greg. Whew. That was a major consolation.

The Nokia 9210 is a communicator which I bought rather than the Compaq iPAQ with the GPRS jacket. It's so big and heavy that the 9210 to me was a better choice.

Now, I am looking into the Treo 270 that's why I'm here observing both the pluses and the minuses.
    Originally posted by GregGaub

As for Switcheroo, I wouldn't call it bulletproof... Maybe it doesn't like doing app switching like crazy like I was doing, and maybe it was something else entirely.
    -Greg
    I just called it SOLID - only Superman is bulletproof, and even that's debatable if you use big enough bullets...

Personally, I think it was your animal magnetism....

Paul
    Okay, so Switcheroo is a recommended hack to get around the applications key deficiency.

Which hack manager do you guys like and recommend?