Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    After reading a couple articles and watching a Cnet prediction for 2010, it does not look good for palm.
    Is anyone like me, worried that within 6-12 months we'll be switching to, GASP, iphones and berry's?
    I love my PRE, and I understand the concerns over the hardware, marketing, etc. but the Phone is a game changer and is a great alternative.
    I just dont want to become part of the isheep crowd, or worst yet a Bcracker

Anyone else concern?
    "My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."
    Mike Tyson
    naaa.. someone has quoted just their patents alone are worth almost a billion... There next device or devices better be bigger and better.. "most" people want the big screen.. give it to them! They have a few years left in them.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just letting you guys know of - once again - a report about the potential downfall of Palm. Yahoo Finance has this to say as it categorizes Palm with the likes Blockbuster, Borders, Rite Aid, etc.

Palm (Nasdaq: PALM) was counting on the Pre and Pixi Plus to lead its resurgence back to the top of the smartphone market. Unfortunately for Palm, these two smartphones have failed to deliver. Although the initial response was good, Palm has been unable to sustain its momentum. Palm reported a non-GAAP net loss of $102 million last quarter.

Palm has found it increasingly difficult to compete in the crowded smartphone market with Apple, Research in Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM and Google (Nasdaq: GOOG. Shares have been slaughtered, dropping 77% over the past six months to $3.75 and this valuation may be overly generous. Some Wall Street analysts have valued the smartphone marker's shares as worthless and are speculating on a Palm bankruptcy.

So, what can Palm do to survive? Palm's best chances at a turnaround may be for a larger industry player like Nokia or Motorola to buy Palm out. Palm is burning through cash at an alarming rate and would need a technology company with deep pockets to keep them afloat.
    So, what can Palm do to survive?

remain calm, and do what they do best, just double their effort.

the rebbi
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I just finished reading this:

businesses-on-the-brink-change-or-fail: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

and to be quite honest I really don't know how to feel. I still don't want to give up on Palm or the Pre, I do think it's an excellent phone but, when Palm can be mentioned in the same breath as Blockbuster, then I start to worry. I woundn't mind it if Motorola buys out Palm but at the same time, would they?Might it be time to abandon ship? I know the new HTC Evo is coming out exclusively for Sprint and it looks super bad-***, has anyone gotten any info on this new smartphone or its release date? How does it compare with the Pre? What do you guys think???
    old news...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Very old news, have a search for all the other doom and gloom threads ...
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    blah blah blah
    so sick of repeat boring threads

Palm will be fine. Media is filtered. So sick of the negativity
    The sky is falling the sky is falling...
    The Mods really need to create another full forum just for this junk. Any Palm user who's had a device going back to the days of the 'Pilot' series has heard this 'prophesy' every year about their demise. Just make a forum labeled "Imminent Doom", or "Palm's Demise" and have sub folders for each year's postings (2009, 2010....2040...etc) and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The Mods really need to create another full forum just for this junk. Any Palm user who's had a device going back to the days of the 'Pilot' series has heard this 'prophesy' every year about their demise. Just make a forum labeled "Imminent Doom", or "Palm's Demise" and have sub folders for each year's postings (2009, 2010....2040...etc) and be done with it.

+1
    doomcast!
    I've been a fan of Palm since I got my Zire31, then a TX, and now the Pre. They've had ups and downs before, I'm still behind them and hope they will come through again. No plans to jump ship.
    What is getting to me is how people think jsut new hardware makes a phone better than another... its ONE piece... but it has to work with the software and Im sorry if you really od research people complain about android being kludgy. And spec sheets "should" always sound amazing. Its the delivery that matters. Example: on the palmcast last night one of the guys was complaining about the capacitive buttons being pure ****e on the nexus one...nexus one on paper sounds great..implementation = fail.
    Old news...yahoo finance are just running out of stuff so they are recycling old news again.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Stock is up 14% today on rumors Lenovo will buy Palm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    What is getting to me is how people think jsut new hardware makes a phone better than another... its ONE piece... but it has to work with the software and Im sorry if you really od research people complain about android being kludgy. And spec sheets "should" always sound amazing. Its the delivery that matters. Example: on the palmcast last night one of the guys was complaining about the capacitive buttons being pure ****e on the nexus one...nexus one on paper sounds great..implementation = fail.
    I don't understand this either, yet it makes sense y android is so popular. I've talked to both crowds, pre and android owners and android is just not as simple, intuitive and even atractive as webos or even I phone. It has more features then both And is very open which is good, but webos is far superior os wise, even with the bugs and missing features. My mom has the moment and it's ok, but after using it a bit and setting it up for her, I'd decided I'd never go to android, just not the same, few if any gestures, stuff is sometimes confusing to get to notifications aren't nearly as good. The problem is that the general public or semi tech enthusiast only really looks at specs and cool factors. The os seems to bot matter until they get the phone and complain later. Hardware wise palm needs a much more advanced peace, but software wise, we are moving along. Oled, bluetooth 3.0 and new imap4 along with gpu support and more ram would defeat alot of battery and sped issues as well as more tuning. The pdk will bringmore apps, and constant updates will bring more features. Only feature I can still say I'm not sure will come is true carrier vvm as it is usually a conjunction effort between carrier and palm and there's been no mention of it yet. (current solutions don't really fit the need of some users as it does not access ur contacts for caller I'd, you have to have them saved to another profile and notifications don't exist or just don't work) in conclusion palm would get ALOT of hype if only they could match hardware like the evo and I'm sure palm would implement it better too (our camera is a good example as it has taken better pics then any of my friends phone cameras including droid, moment, iphone 3gs and others.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    This isn't "old news" ... its "old news getting worse". you can ignore it all you want, but Palm is in dire straights - and their stock price reflects that. ******* can turn a blind eye to it and pretend all is rosy, but Palm is needs a miracle. Their phones are barely selling and they're burning thru all their cash. Doesn't take a financial genius to figure out that they can't go on like that for much longer.
    lmao things looking dire? palm stock is up 20% today
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast