1.    #1  
    All,

I have using treo 650 for quite some time and I am very happy with it.

Please let me know, if i should swith to web os palm phone if it is better then older palm os.

Thanks in advance,

Vipin Mittal
    there is no real reason not to switch to a webos phone and if you dont want to lose your palm os apps download classic for $30 and it will run palm os apps on webos
  3.    #3  
    thanks for ur response.
    please tell me, how is the performance of the old appliations if i run them they way u suggested?
  4.    #4  
    Looks like you have used webos extensively. Please help me in explaning the advantages of webos over palmos.
    to the OP... there are a lot of things improved in webOS two things is multitasking and 3d gaming...

there are a bunch of threads that will answer your questions. there are a lot of former palmos users that switched to webos already, (like me). they have discussed this thoroughly. USE the search

classic is also a nice way to combine webos and palm os...

looks like you have a lot of reading to do

hth
    Quote Originally Posted by vmittal View Post
    All,

I have using treo 650 for quite some time and I am very happy with it.

Please let me know, if i should swith to web os palm phone if it is better then older palm os.

Thanks in advance,

Vipin Mittal
    As a former 650 user, I find the webOS experience is overall far better than Palm OS. However, there is not a direct equivalent to all of your programs and you will need to be open to doing things in a new way. There has been plenty of previous discussion on the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmittal View Post
    thanks for ur response.
    please tell me, how is the performance of the old appliations if i run them they way u suggested?
    equal to the way they run on palm os normally

and the biggest plus in my mind is the openness like QI and preware that really change the user experience
  8.    #8  
    Could you please tell me what is QI and preware ?

Also, please tell me if you saw any other advantage of webos ?
    Preware is an app on webos that lets you download and install patches, apps, and all sorts of stuff for your phone. QI stands for quick install its called WebOS Quick install. Same thing but with your pc and a few extra features that make the webos an awesome OS.
    how about the awesome screen andthe fantastic data speeds?
    yes to all of this, but, without classic (which I don't use) webos is missing a number of important features, voice recording, doc to go, an alarm clock that you can count on. I have found that the pre is awesome however with it being all new, the updates are something to constantly contend with. they are great but i find them to be a constant challenge where as palmos was on v5.? so bugs tweeks and improvements where already mostly complete. palmos was more of a complete operating system where as webos is just like a super charged baby or teen. just my opinion
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    I have had many palm phones over the years. PalmOS was great, palm-ms stunk but WebOS is near perfect. It does not come with the sinc program you have now or the classic software. But all in all the advances are worth it.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  13. chm
    The biggest difference between WebOS and PalmOS is the built-in browsers, IMHO. I never got a third-party browser on PalmOS, but Web/Blazer was somewhere in between unusable and a good way to waste time. The WebOS browser can actually browse the internet (except for Flash).

On the other end of the scale, WebOS has left out some things, such as, categories for the address book. WebOS is better, but it is hard to lose features that you use every day.
  14.    #14  
    I have been using Blazer quite regularily. Did not find issues with it.
    The difference between Blazer and the WebOS Browser is kinda like this:

You've been stranded in the desert for 24 hours. You stumble upon a half full canteen of water. You're glad to get anything at this point and drink hungrily. Later in the day you reach a beautiful oasis with a freshwater pond, shade, food, and naked women running around bored and lonely.

Blazer is the canteen, the oasis is WebOS.

Sadly, the buyout news means you should probably hop on the Android bandwagon.
    Last edited by smackswell; 04/12/2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    yes to all of this, but, without classic (which I don't use) webos is missing a number of important features, voice recording, doc to go, an alarm clock that you can count on.
    There are some good 3rd party alarm apps. As for D2G, it's ridiculous that it's not out yet, but at least one can use Google Docs.

palmos was more of a complete operating system where as webos is just like a super charged baby or teen. just my opinion
    Interesting. I feel the exact opposite way. WebOS is a fledgling OS, but it feels more like an actual Operating System. Conversely, PalmOS was more of a... platform.

Quote Originally Posted by smackswell View Post
    The difference between Blazer and the WebOS Browser is kinda like this:

You've been stranded in the desert for 24 hours. You stumble upon a half full canteen of water. You're glad to get anything at this point and drink hungrily. Later in the day you reach a beautiful oasis with a freshwater pond, shade, food, and naked women running around bored and lonely.

Blazer is the canteen, the oasis is WebOS.
    This is brilliance.

Sadly, the buyout news means you should probably hop on the Android bandwagon.
    Meh. With the Devs here and the potential of the existing devices, I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Plus, it's not "news". It's a rumor until verified.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Classic does not run most of the PalmOS apps I had. Typically I get "app has performed an illegal operation and must close." Those that do run in Classic benefit from a larger screen and faster processor. I confronted Motion Apps about this problem and as expected they blame the developers, even for those apps that are Classic-certified yet still crash occasionally. Despite these problems, I'm sticking with my Pre. thorne
  18.    #18  
    Can anyone ,please tell me if we can use old palm applications for palm os on new web os?
    I still use my 650 for a couple programs that have not yet been written for Webos- like Planetarium. Also, I can use Pocket Tunes in my car without even looking at the device.
    Visor->650->Pre