Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is just a rumor but I figured I would share it. I work in a Sprint Store in Overland Park, KS area, I had a couple guys come in yesterday and I asked them what the did for Sprint (name badges and Advantage accounts) They said they where in the CDMA phone testing group. I was talking about their job and I asked about what phones they test they said only Sprint and new and old. They said they test software so the programs and everything on the phones and how they work with the network. Talked about the EVO (he called it supersonic) and the new 2.1 Moment software.

I then asked him about whats new with Palm, he said you just got an upgrade so nothing to significant for the Pre coming as of yet for software. I asked about a new Palm device he said that he has heard about a new Palm device coming late summer but it is not 4G but has a bigger screen still a slider form factor but a much faster processor and more memory and improved battery life. I asked about the 4g again he said no and that we was pretty certain it was not 4g, but who knows. Take it for what is is worth but like I said these guys seemed legit and they talked about a couple upcoming phones like new Tour and stuff but nothing too exciting.
    sounds interesting.. Lets wait and see. ;-)
    shiiit! I want 4G n two cameras!
    argh
    lol
    April Fools?
    if its true i dont care much for 4G right now seeing how it doesnt seem its gonna be in my town anytime soon, although i would like it not a dealbreaker for me.
    Sounds believable.

I don't need WiMAX or HDMI out right now but the next webOS device has to have killer specs that is comparable to Evo or I might be switching. The current Pre is fine for most users (needs faster CPU) but they really need to put out a hardcore power user phone. I'd be willing to pay $400 for a powerful phone. The larger screen and faster CPU is just a natural step, not a killer spec. I'd also like to see the screen rotate portrait/landscape relative to keyboard, with a clean solid snap of course. Bluetooth 3.0 would be nice. Dual core CPU would be awesome, which is coming.

While I could wait another cycle for WiMAX, the only interest I really have for it is that it would allow data/voice at same time.

Palm needs to sustain the current Pre form factor with just a faster CPU and better keyboard. They need a larger form factor with killer specs at a $400 price point as well.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 04/02/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    4g would be a killer for me

I don't think palm would release a 3g phone knowing that most consumers in 4g areas would jump on either the pre or evo seeing as how there the only two phones that would be out
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    4g would be a killer for me

I don't think palm would release a 3g phone knowing that most consumers in 4g areas would jump on either the pre or evo seeing as how there the only two phones that would be out
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    don't really understand the need for 4G at the moment as my 3G in APAC serves me quite well, plus we hardly have any phones on 4G yet and maybe only next year.

So 4G is not a killer for me, yes the faster the better, so are bells and whistles. But for looooong time Palm loyalists know.. it not the bells and whistles but how easy it is to do work. PalmOS did that well and WebOS did that well too, albeit still improving.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I dont care about 4g, I do care about better specs, a larger screen. and improved build quality.

I live in Orlando FL and they have yet to even announce when 4g will be around these parts so I could careless if I had a phone that was able to take advantage of something that has yet to exist for where I live.
    So we have so called leaks from Sprint representatives from everything from Sprint is dropping Palm to the next Palm device is going to be a super phone
    What happens if after a few months of the initial 4G network launch they change it to version 4.1 and existing 4G phones don't get the full benefit.

I personally think they should work in using 3G and once they get a phone with no hardware problems then they should worry about 4G.
    4G on sprint is WiMAX, which is a published protocol. I don't think its going to change that drastically.
    The one thing is that Verizon is using LTE for 4G. So if they were to do a 4G phone and plan to release on multiple carriers they would probably need even more different models:
    CDMA with WiMAX for Sprint
    CDMA with LTE for Verizon
    GSM with LTE for ATT

Considering each 4G market is so small right now, it wouldn't even be that cost effective to pump out that many different models. The amount of Sprint customers isn't that great, and I don't think people will sign up in droves just because of the 4G.
    What happens if after a few months of the initial 4G network launch they change it to version 4.1 and existing 4G phones don't get the full benefit.

I personally think they should work in using 3G and once they get a phone with no hardware problems then they should worry about 4G.

I dont think the freqency bands work like that. it will be 3g, or 4g etc as long as the phone has a radio to use a certain frequency it will be fine. So unless they upgrade to a 5g next year every phone that runs 4g will run 4g even while they make updates to those freqencys. Also there will always be phones with hardware, and software issues, they still are computers. Every product will have its issues, and imperfections all we can hope for is less of them in the future.
    correct right now the 4G footprint isnt that large, infact until maybe the end of 2011 early 2012 will you expect each providers footprint regarding 4G to be on any kind of scale. So even with the Evo launching, (yes I believe they will sell alot due to the hype of being the first to get a phone thats 4G, the specs are high, the masses like android right now, and the screen is big) the use of 4G will be very minute.
    Just read T-Mobile is using HSPA+, so you have 3 different 4G technologies competing on 4 different networks. Each with their own 4G segments rolled out. It might be nice for geeks who are in those areas, or bragging rights but can't see it being that beneficial an investment.

I wonder how much more it would cost to produce just one device with a 4G technology compared to current 3G radios.

If they had a bigger screen, and made the phone slimmer with better materials and build quality (along with the usual spec bumps and whatever latest CPU/GPU) I think it would be a stellar product regardless of 3G or 4G.
    sorry webos... But still going. 4g would have saved me but I can't stand it cause of hardware, and apps suck. I love mytether and the browser. That's it
    3g is fine.. is not like where u live got 4g, so why? showoff much
    Honestly, I'd rather not have 4G in the next phone I get. I won't have 4G in my area for another year anyway, and so I'd rather not have a 4G phone when I won't be using it. I'd rather wait for the second generation 4G chipsets.
    as someone in a sprint 4G area, id like to have a 4G phone, but the brunt of my data usage is over WiFi, so i wouldnt affect me much if the 4G radio was absent. I mainly want to see palm do a 4G phone simply because there is only one other phone that has been publicly announced. While the majority of sprint users arent in a 4g area, a new palm phone wont be able to compete with the EVO in 4g areas.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast