Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, my wife's TREO 270 arrived a few min. ago. The following is A "First Impression" of the device. With my wife out of town for the next 3 days, I'm going to temporarily use the TREO 270 instead of my VisorPrism to see how I like it.

I tried to do a screen comparison (attached) between the TREO 270 and my VisorPrism Indoors and Outdoors. Please, someone repeat this test using a good digital camera. I had to use a VideoCamera/TV Tuner to capture the images and it really didn't do them justice as you will see in the outdoor picture.

First Impressions:
    1) I like the Grey color skin instead of the TREO 180's darker skin.
    2) The TREO 270 is usable outdoors as a phone (keypad is visible), however any applications that use Darker Colors (like the "City Time" application - graphic of Ocean is hardly visible outdoors) you will have difficulties viewing. Also, the digitizer "Dots" are extremely visible outdoors and add to the difficulty of direct-sunlight viewing. Although, it is more viewable than the VisorPrism (which is nearly impossible outdoors). This is a first impression, I'm going to check it out fully once the battery is fully charged.
    3) What's with the super bright upper-right of the display? Is this a DEFECT or is it supposed to be so bright in the upper right?
    4) The screen has an odd color tent to it. I've read previous reports that it's a green-ish tent, that description is "Right-On". While not ugly, a direct VisorPrism/TREO 270 comparison makes the difference visible. I suppose after extended use, you would likely not notice it over time.

That's about it for now. Battery is charging, I had just enough juice to check it out outdoors. The pics are lousy, so please if you own a VisorPrism/TREO 270 create a new set of pics and post them

More info later...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  2.    #2  
    OK, let's retry the attachment...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    The upper right hand corner is extra bright because that is where the backlight is shining from. The Prism had its backlight at the side (full length).
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just got mine... and have the same observaion about the screen. I had read somewhere that the cornerlight was more noticable on some units... and had something to do with the LED alignment.... I'd be curious to hear from other owners to see if this varies...

But let me add that overall it is an awesome phone, new light-up keypad is great!
  5.    #5  
    Ok, here's some additional information:

1) Connected to the internet using Blazer (via Voicestream ISDN). It operated pretty much like the VisorPrism/VisorPhone, good connectivity and relatively speedy (considering it's 9600 Baud). Setup info at the bottom of this message. GPRS will make this unit much more attractive to me.

2) Speakerphone volume seems not as loud as the TREO 180. Anyone else have this same observation?

3) I ran the TREO 270 through the "Joust" test (My favorite game created by ASTRAWARE/Pocket Express). The animation is a bit choppy on the TREO 270 (noticably smoother on the VisorPrism). However, it's still playable. The colors on the TREO have a washed-out feel, not year as colorful as the Prism.

4) Battery life seems exceptional at this point. I've browsed the net, played a game or two and made a few calls. The batter level is still at 100%. The Prism would be about 87% (or lower) by now.

5) I had some initial difficulties turning "Beam Receive ON". I'm not sure what the problem was here, but a soft reset appears to have taken care of it.

6) There is more of a difference between 4012 and 64k images than I thought. I have some family pics on my VisorPrism that I ported over to the TREO 270. A side-by-side comparison of the two reveal the Prism colors are not only more vibrant, but "smoother" (antialiased due to more colors?) The TREO appears a bit jagged around the edges of the picture. Still, beats the heck out of Mono

7) I don't like having to press the "Blue Key" and the "Home" key to get to my apps. Sure, I use it as a phone but going to my applications should be a single-button press instead AT ALL TIMES instead of a double-press. I was sure hoping Handspring had gotten a little smarter about this (was the same way on the TREO 180, didn't like it then either).

8) The lighted keyboard is cool. To keep the keyboard lit, double-tap the power button (didn't see this in the docs, but I only glanced through them...)

9) If I press my thumb against the right or left side of the TREO (ever so slightly), I can see the display "wave" when my finger is pressing down. When I say "WAVE" I mean the liquid in the display, not a hand . Ok, sure you could say "well, don't do that *****!". I'm just curious if this means the TREO 270 display is more suceptible to damage than the TREO 180?

Overall Impression: I like it, but I'm very partial coming from the VisorPrism. At this point, I would miss the expandability of my Prism and the security of knowing I can put a MemPlug in the device and recover from a HardReset without a PC around. I'm going to use it for the next three days regardless to see if it "grows on me". I can see potential here!

How to setup the TREO270 (with VoiceStream) to connect to the internet:

Name : Voicestream
    Connection Method : Wireless Modem to Modem
    Dialing : TouchTone
    Volume : High
    Speed : 9600
    Flow-Ctl : Automatic
    Init String : +cbst=71,0,0;

Network Configuration -
    Service : Voicestream
    Username : (single space)
    Password : (single space)
    Connection : ISDN
    Phone : 19132440821
    Connection Type : PPP
    Idle Timeout : 3 Minutes
    Query DNS : unchecked
    IP Address : Automatic
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Indoors, the Prism should be hard to beat with its 16-bit (65000) colors, this is why I am keeping it as a digital album (not to mention the few springboards that I have managed to collect in less than a year!!) even after I receive my 270. Besides, a few months from now I predict that many, if not all, of the springboards will be at bargain basement prices and I would probably continue to buy even more because I am a gadget freak.

I am curious though if you can possibly improve the 270 picture quality when using the Splash Photo app. Although already in excellent quality for viewing, I have enhanced further all my Prism photos using the Splash Photo Contrast & Brightness features before downloading them to the PDA. Could hardly wait.
    Ed
    Jones,

thanx for the isdn settings. It worked on the first try. I never had any luck with the prism. Even better now that I can't connect to roadrunner.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Great settings, Jonecool! They work for me, even though I haven't been able to connect via my regular ISP (see my other thread: Configure Your Treo isn't working).

Do these settings use Voicestream as an ISP? Does this mean you don't need an ISP, separate from a Voicestream account, to get wireless access? Because all the documentation around the Treo and TreoMail insist that you need your own ISP.
  9.    #9  
    <SNIP>... Do these settings use Voicestream as an ISP? Does this mean you don't need an ISP, separate from a Voicestream account, to get wireless access? Because all the documentation around the Treo and TreoMail insist that you need your own ISP.
    Exactly, you don't need a separate ISP. I called voicestream and asked them about these settings and they didn't really like that I knew about them. They are actually used for WAP phones(like the Samsung) to access the internet. I got all the above info from VC and tried various posts until I found one that worked for my area.

I once had an Earthlnk account ($21/month) for the sole purpose of using it with my VisorPrism/VisorPhone. Once I found the above settings (Slightly different to use on a VisorPhone) and it worked I began saving $21 a month by dropping the Earlthlink account and using the Voicestream ISDN.

One another note, when GPRS comes out, it's going to be rather expensive. I talked to a rep at Voicestream, 1MB of data was stated to be about $2.99 (added to your existing cell plan) for ONLY 1MB of data. Each Additional MB is $4 per MB, this can add up rather quickly if you really use it. There may be other packages, but for most of us the above is likely what to expect. I'm likely to stick with the above configuration for awhile (The Voicestream Rep. indicated that those settings will exist for quite awhile since all the WAP phones depend on it).

Below are some interesting links I found late last night from Handspring's site. It's their recommendations for 3rd Party utilities to make using your TREO 180/270 more useful.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Originally posted by jonecool
    One another note, when GPRS comes out, it's going to be rather expensive. I talked to a rep at Voicestream, 1MB of data was stated to be about $2.99 (added to your existing cell plan) for ONLY 1MB of data. Each Additional MB is $4 per MB, this can add up rather quickly if you really use it. There may be other packages, but for most of us the above is likely what to expect. I'm likely to stick with the above configuration for awhile (The Voicestream Rep. indicated that those settings will exist for quite awhile since all the WAP phones depend on it).
    Actually, those are the rates for WAP phones. Their current rates for PDAs using iStream (their name for GPRS) are even higher: $19.95 for the first 5MB and $5 for each additional MB.

That's terrific about using Voicestream as an ISP! I still haven't gotten my regular ISP working on the Treo. But I'm finding that Voicestream itself is a hit-or-miss proposition; sometimes it works fine but sometimes it times out without making a connection.
    Originally posted by rosswords
    Actually, those are the rates for WAP phones. Their current rates for PDAs using iStream (their name for GPRS) are even higher: $19.95 for the first 5MB and $5 for each additional MB.
    Strange, in Germany, it is just the other way round: The WAP gateway of my provider, Quam (it can only do WAP), charges $0.19 per 10 KB (yes, that is the right figure, believe it or not!!!), while the Internet gateway (it can do everything but WAP) is at $0.15 for the same amount of data. I wonder why they actually promote WAP and then punish those who use it...
    Has anyone in the NY/NJ area been able to connect with these VS settings? My Treo dials but then I get a timed out error message.
    Originally posted by mikegold
    Has anyone in the NY/NJ area been able to connect with these VS settings? My Treo dials but then I get a timed out error message.
    Me.

Live and work in Manhattan.
    Felipe
    Originally posted by jonecool
    Ok, here's some additional information:

How to setup the TREO270 (with VoiceStream) to connect to the internet:

Name : Voicestream
    Connection Method : Wireless Modem to Modem
    Dialing : TouchTone
    Volume : High
    Speed : 9600
    Flow-Ctl : Automatic
    Init String : +cbst=71,0,0;

Network Configuration -
    Service : Voicestream
    Username : (single space)
    Password : (single space)
    Connection : ISDN
    Phone : 19132440821
    Connection Type : PPP
    Idle Timeout : 3 Minutes
    Query DNS : unchecked
    IP Address : Automatic
    Hi

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your information on how to use Voicestream as a ISP for the Treo.

I just upgraded from a Prism/visorphone to the treo 270 and never used my prism/visorphone to connect to the internet because I have a broadband connection at home and didn't want to go to the expense of getting a seperate dial-up ISP for the occasional visorphone connection.

Information like what you and others here share is what makes forums like the one here at treocentral such a valuable resource.

Regards,

George
    I'm using jonecool's settings successfully, too. I've also figured out how to use the dial-up numbers that come with my Verizon DSL account to go online. But I don't understand a few things about jonecool's settings:

How do you choose ISDN as your connection setting? I don't have that option in my Network preferences. Instead, I chose Voicestream, which is the connection I created using jonecool's first settings.

Also, I don't have the "country" option in my Connection preferences. (Which is strange, because I could have sworn it was there when I first set it up.)

Have they changed the Treo preferences from the 180 to the 270?
    Originally posted by rosswords
    I'm using jonecool's settings successfully, too. I've also figured out how to use the dial-up numbers that come with my Verizon DSL account to go online. But I don't understand a few things about jonecool's settings:

How do you choose ISDN as your connection setting? I don't have that option in my Network preferences. Instead, I chose Voicestream, which is the connection I created using jonecool's first settings.

Also, I don't have the "country" option in my Connection preferences. (Which is strange, because I could have sworn it was there when I first set it up.)

Have they changed the Treo preferences from the 180 to the 270?
    Ross, You create the ISDN option under prefs\connection. While creating the connection, you should see the country setting.
    Felipe
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Ross, You create the ISDN option under prefs\connection. While creating the connection, you should see the country setting.
    Yes, I know, but my Treo 270 doesn't offer an option for ISDN. Instead, I chose Wireless Modem to Modem and it works fine. It's not a problem; I'm just curious about why I don't have the ISDN option.

As for the country option, I figured that one out. When you first create a new connection, it asks you to set the country. But when you go back later to edit the details, the country option doesn't exist anymore. (Not always the first time you go back, but after a few times.)
    What is the user name and password?

Is it this ( ), or just a single space?
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I finally was able to get a successful connection but I can't get my pop3 mail or pull up any web sites.

I get an error message that the server can't be found.

I can't wait for GPRS!
    I'm also having trouble connecting, and I honestly don't know if it's dialing or not. Where are you finding the option to set the init string, flow control and speed? Obviously I've overlooked something...but I'm ready to kick myself now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast