Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    RIM was the undisputed leader in the smartphone market a couple of years ago. It now faces significant threats from iPhone and Android. Its touchscreen models like the Storm paled in comparison to Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Nexus One. Despite being an integrated solution, RIM has allowed its devices and OS to become fragmented. Developers not only have to account for several different versions of hardware (keyboard, touchscreen, different sizes etc.), but they also face the challenge of making sure their apps run on most or all different OS versions. As a result, BlackBerry’s applications marketplace is struggling to compete with Apple’s App Store or Google’s Android Market. And RIM’s hopes of modernizing its OS are weakening day by day.

Despite its weaknesses, RIM is still in a strong position, and it’s not too late to stop the downward trend. It still leads market share in the smartphone market (see table below). Its push email system is still unrivaled in the marketplace, and it is the phone of choice for many working executives and companies. Crucially, it has a strong revenue stream from software and services installed in tandem with the deployment of its phones in businesses.
    Why Palm’s Headed for a Buyout — by RIM - NYTimes.com

I don't know. If RIM is in a "downward trend", why are they still gaining market share..

I'd prefer HTC to scoop up Palm, if anybody had to.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The article is complete and utter bunk - we know that RIM have already developed the next version of their OS. The idea that they will ditch that and start using WEBos is simply nonsense. Moreover, the idea of converging the two different OSes like sticking together two difference ice-cream favours also seem to be pure fantasy.
    Integrating a whole new OS into an existing code base and hardware would be a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ... Moreover, the idea of converging the two different OSes like sticking together two difference ice-cream favours also seem to be pure fantasy.
    I'm quite fond of Neapolitan ice cream myself.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...neopolitan.jpg
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Me too , my point is that it's not as simple as doing that.

Anything that RIM actually likes about WebOS they can simply rip-off and add to their existing code base.
    I've posted months ago that RIM is the only company that could keep webOS going. Palm can't go it alone for much longer. While others could buy Palm, RIM would probably be able to sustain webOS. Others would only buy Palm for its patents and let webOS dissolve.

RIM needs a modern OS, Palm needs to get back into the Enterprise. It would take a few years to merge but it's probably the only way webOS will survive long term.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I don't see RIM b/c as others have said, the melding of the two technologies would be a long process. I've always thought that Nokia would be the one to purchase Palm when Nokia decides that it wants to play in the North American smartphone market.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Why are we forgetting the Nokia weds Palm story? I think after the Qt's seamless integration into webOS might lure Nokia to buy Palm. Anyways Nokia's Symbian is not doing good in USA and in smart phone technologies in general. Buying Palm would give them instant boost in USA and into the best smart phone OS.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    if any buyout occurs I'll be sad. I'd rather see palm survive and continue to innovate on their own.

that being said if I could pick a company to buy palm, I'd also like to see htc be the one, and simply integrate webos into a solid piece of hardware. But as was said htc is doin fine as it is, being primarily a hardware partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Why are we forgetting the Nokia weds Palm story? I think after the Qt's seamless integration into webOS might lure Nokia to buy Palm. Anyways Nokia's Symbian is not doing good in USA and in smart phone technologies in general. Buying Palm would give them instant boost in USA and into the best smart phone OS.
    nokia have two OS's. And why would they buy palm? They own over 70% of the phone market worldwide! The US means nothing, hence why they don't bother ( weak dollar). RIM are putting the final touches on their new OS. So palm doesn't have any options left in terms of a buy out, unless a chinese company wants it, but again why? Its not like they gain anything but patents
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    They have Symbian 3 and 4 on the way and are also have Meego on the go. As for palm giving them a boost, the company can't shift phones and has no credibility.
    i hope not, that stupid blackberry enterprise server bullsiht is annoying, i'd hate have to deal w/ that crap again.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I don't see RIM wanting Palm.

But i'm not convinced by the author that HTC wouldn't benefit. Yes, they've invested heavily in android and windows but that simply makes them highly dependent on them.

Let's remember, google has one goal. Making sure its services are used in the mobile market.

Microsoft's is making money on licenses. If they're not upset at HTC using android, then surely they won't care if they do webOS.

This leaves HTC highly dependent on the whims of google and microsoft and having to adapt Sense UI. I'm not sure MS will even allow UI's with windows 7 so HTC can't differentiate there.

Enter in webOS. Take over producing the hardware and let the Palm webOS team do its thing. Now HTC doesn't have to worry about updating Sense UI for its Palm webOS devices, and has a third platform to produce devices on. In addition they get all the Palm patents.

Three distinctive lines of devices. I know i wouldn't like my company being dependent on one or two companies subject to their whims and different goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    nokia have two OS's. And why would they buy palm? They own over 70% of the phone market worldwide! The US means nothing, hence why they don't bother ( weak dollar).
    Which is why I said when Nokia decides that they want to play in the NA and worldwide smartphone market they'll need to buy Palm. They can continue to use their feature-phone platform but replacing Mameo with webOS and using Palm's designers to design better looking smartphones would make Nokia a much bigger player in the ever growing smartphone market.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I've said for a long time that RIM would be the best candidate (in my opininon) to buy Palm (if anyone did). In my scenario, there would be no "melding" of the two disparate OSs. RIM would maintain BES, and either phase out the current BB phone OS, or go with a business model (BB) and a consumer model (WebOS), eventually hardening the WebOS into a business model and dropping the BB os completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post
    if any buyout occurs I'll be sad. I'd rather see palm survive and continue to innovate on their own.

that being said if I could pick a company to buy palm, I'd also like to see htc be the one, and simply integrate webos into a solid piece of hardware. But as was said htc is doin fine as it is, being primarily a hardware partner.
    Palm has been bought and sold a number of times. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it remains Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i hope not, that stupid blackberry enterprise server bullsiht is annoying, i'd hate have to deal w/ that crap again.
    BES isn't required for the devices, it just increases security for them at the corporate level. Actually, BES is the most valuable asset RIM has right now. There's nothing that compares in the corporate world as far as security and control. That said, Microsoft is definitely making inroads with EAS, and I suspect they will continue to do so; especially since they are licensing the technology. RIM needs to act soon if they want to continue to hold on to the enterprise server space.
    Palm is going alone at least for a year from now. There are several launches in the queue.

SFR France, China Telecom

Pre Plus and Pixi plus in Europe and maybe on some new more countries.

All of those articles are just speculations, rumors, but in someways concerns about a US company or just making some writing to keep the readers attention.

Not everything is done for Palm, yet. Still in the fight.
    Care to elaborate on the several launches in the queue? This company has about 12 months of cash before they run out of money. I see one more phone being launched before the company will need to get a cash infusion.

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Palm is going alone at least for a year from now. There are several launches in the queue.

SFR France, China Telecom

Pre Plus and Pixi plus in Europe and maybe on some new more countries.

All of those articles are just speculations, rumors, but in someways concerns about a US company or just making some writing to keep the readers attention.

Not everything is done for Palm, yet. Still in the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    Care to elaborate on the several launches in the queue? This company has about 12 months of cash before they run out of money. I see one more phone being launched before the company will need to get a cash infusion.
    He is talking about launching phones in new markets, which he listed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast