Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    This company has about 12 months of cash before they run out of money. I see one more phone being launched before the company will need to get a cash infusion.
    I keep seeing people focus on this much quotied aspect of things, but they seem to be ignoring a major part of it. That's if they continue at the current burn rate.
    Bringing in new markets will likely change that. An upswing in sales also would. Palm had planned on still losing money at this point (though not as badly as they are), and the notion that they are going to run out of money in a year is speculative at best.

On the other hand, if things got worse, they could burn through remaining money even faster...
    BB Messenger incorporated into WebOS messaging! Sweet!
    This would be horrible. I would rather see google buy them.

" Its push email system is still unrivaled in the marketplace " haha that's the biggest joke. Do people not realize that blackberry's require a microsoft exchange server to even function? Exchange active sync is better for push technology. It's much easier to troubleshoot then blackberry enterprise server.
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    It'd be funny, and sad, if Access bought them.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I don't see a logical reason for RIM to acquire Palm. They have spent a huge amount of resources on the next version of their OS, an OS that is supposed to be a very nice mixture of enterprise and consumer features. Yeah they could have WebOS as a consumer only OS but I don't see it happening, the two OS's are so different that no synergies and expense savings will be realized by having two OS's.

I think HP are the best candidate for acquiring Palm - it gives them a renewed entry into smartphone market without having to rely on MS, further differentiates HP from the crowd of other PC manufacturers and further diversifies the company's product line. As I've stated before though, should HP acquire Palm, and start using their software guys to further develop the software side of things at Palm, then the acquisition will be pointless and a complete failure - HP are simply one of the worst software developers out there.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've said for a long time that RIM would be the best candidate (in my opininon) to buy Palm (if anyone did). In my scenario, there would be no "melding" of the two disparate OSs. RIM would maintain BES, and either phase out the current BB phone OS, or go with a business model (BB) and a consumer model (WebOS), eventually hardening the WebOS into a business model and dropping the BB os completely.
    I agree. This makes perfect sense to me. Nobody needs an OS upgrade like RIM and webOS would work very well with the keyboard centric Blackberry crowd.

RIM is taking a big gamble on developing their own OS from scratch. They could just add BES and Blackberry messenger to webOS and ship it with Palm hardware that is in the works. The Pixi would be a nice Curve/Pearl replacement and a Jumbo Pixi (if it exists) would be a Tour/Bold replacement. Heck. If RIM just announced that they were acquiring Palm their sales would probably get a boost from carriers and developers alike.

Over time they could merge the best of both hardware platforms. (I think we all know know that that means. They could then add the kind of the configuration/customization to webOS that Blackberry is famous for.

I just can't imagine a hardware company wanting to get in the mobile OS development business now when they can just let Google and Microsoft make the investments for them. It is just not in the DNA of HP, Dell, Mototorola or HTC to do a real OS. On top of that they would be competing with their most important partners -- suicide if you ask me.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I don't see a logical reason for RIM to acquire Palm. They have spent a huge amount of resources on the next version of their OS, an OS that is supposed to be a very nice mixture of enterprise and consumer features. Yeah they could have WebOS as a consumer only OS but I don't see it happening, the two OS's are so different that no synergies and expense savings will be realized by having two OS's.

I think HP are the best candidate for acquiring Palm - it gives them a renewed entry into smartphone market without having to rely on MS, further differentiates HP from the crowd of other PC manufacturers and further diversifies the company's product line. As I've stated before though, should HP acquire Palm, and start using their software guys to further develop the software side of things at Palm, then the acquisition will be pointless and a complete failure - HP are simply one of the worst software developers out there.
    I've been saying the whole thing all along too. I also thought Dell would make sense back before webOS was announced, but then Dell went to Android...
    Palm's patent portfolio alone would be worth an acquisition for RIM.

Their UI is, as many would put it, horrid, and thier knowledge of how to make a great smartphone is limited to technical prowess only; the PALM design-orented and "user-frinedly-based" culture would be a great infusion into RIM, as they look to keep thier corporate clients from moving to the next iPhone or Android OS phone... inertia would win out for migration to WebOS based RIM smartphones, not to mention RIM starting a consumer based division for the already in market Pre, Pixi and next gen Pre's to come.

It certainly WOULD be an interesting partnership.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    This would be horrible. I would rather see google buy them.

" Its push email system is still unrivaled in the marketplace " haha that's the biggest joke. Do people not realize that blackberry's require a microsoft exchange server to even function? Exchange active sync is better for push technology. It's much easier to troubleshoot then blackberry enterprise server.
    I don't know where you get your information, but it's incorrect. I managed a GroupWise system with BES for several years (it's still running, I'm just not there any more).

There are many advantages of BES over EAS, but I would agree, EAS is easier to manage. I wouldn't agree that it's easier to troubleshoot (and yes, I've operated both types of systems).

BES has features that EAS hasn't touched yet. However, I expect that Microsoft is going to continue to ramp up their product. If RIM doesn't get on the stick, MS is going to pass them by.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    sony should buy em!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndraiden View Post
    sony should buy em!
    That might make the second most sense -- after RIM. But Sony has not had a good track record with anything lately. That is scary.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    I'd think RIM would keep webos around, but i doubt they will buy it....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12