1.    #1  
    Hello -

I am getting ready to need a new phone service contract and it looks like I will be on Verizon.

I just started looking at Palm Treos when I saw what a great deal I could get on a 700p, 700wx or 755 on ebay. I don't know much about them, so here are a few typical-newb questions for ya:

1) Can I actually use these on my home wifi network? Which models will work for this? Any special software to use my free wifi?

2) How much SD memory can they support?

3) If I go with Verizon, and I just want to use their Phone/Txt/PicMail, but NOT Web access, I can just use Verizon for those and my wifi for web browsing, right?

4) What is the difference in the 700p 700w 700wx?

5) What models are the most popular? Most durable?

6) Is it worth the money to get an ebay NIB or refurb for around $100 or will it become too old-tech to use anytime soon?

7) ANY good suggestions on Treos in general?

Thanks
    sorry i thought u was talking about webos lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tretek View Post
    Hello -

I am getting ready to need a new phone service contract and it looks like I will be on Verizon.

I just started looking at Palm Treos when I saw what a great deal I could get on a 700p, 700wx or 755 on ebay. I don't know much about them, so here are a few typical-newb questions for ya:

1) Can I actually use these on my home wifi network? Which models will work for this? Any special software to use my free wifi?

2) How much SD memory can they support?

3) If I go with Verizon, and I just want to use their Phone/Txt/PicMail, but NOT Web access, I can just use Verizon for those and my wifi for web browsing, right?

4) What is the difference in the 700p 700w 700wx?

5) What models are the most popular? Most durable?

6) Is it worth the money to get an ebay NIB or refurb for around $100 or will it become too old-tech to use anytime soon?

7) ANY good suggestions on Treos in general?

Thanks
    None of the Verizon Treos or Centros support WiFi. The Pre Plus does.

700p runs PalmOS (the original palm pilot OS). The 700w ran windows, but was terrible and quickly replaced with the 700wx, that runs also runs windows. I used the 700wx for a week, and then went back to a Treo with PalmOS. You would hate the 700wx. Get a Pre Plus. I've seen it as low as $39. Even Verizon had it that low for a while, and may do it again. The Pre Plus is available for $0 at Walmart right now. Look on the PreCentral home page for details. It's a couple of articles down on the left.

I believe that the Treo phones were all limited to 2GB SD cards. The Centro used Micro-SD. I never tried a bigger card, because devices that old generally didn't support mroe than 2gb and that was plenty for me. The Pre Plus comes with 16GB of internal memory. Get a Pre Plus (free at Walmart).

Treo755p was the best of the Treo phones. Those models haven't been sold by carriers in a long time. The Centro was the last PalmOS phone Verizon offered. About the size of the new Palm Pixi, but the hardware wasn't very durable. Get a Pre Plus.

In general, the Treo family was great in it's time but it is way obsolete to start buying them now. I wouldn't be intrested in a used Treo unless I knew the person I got it from - to minimize the potential that it was not take care of. Get a Pre Plus.

There is a theme to my post. Get into the modern age and get a Pre Plus. It is a fantastic phone.

Treo was great. I have several in a drawer as a backup if my Pre Plus were to crater unexpectedly. However, unless you are a longtime PalmOS user (I go all the way back to the original Palm Pilot) then the Treo would be like changing your WIndows PC bacl to MS-DOS from the early 1990's.

I'm biased here. I can't see saving less than $100 on hardware to get such an old technology. They are big and heavy by todays standards, too.

Buy a Pre Plus..... Seriously... Order it from Verizonwireless.com to make sure you get the best price without rebates, or go to Walmart.

Buy a Pre Plus....
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/30/2010 at 08:32 PM.
    Hey while you are waiting for some replies, maybe you can find some good info here
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Hey while you are waiting for some replies, maybe you can find some good info here...

Sorry - tried it - broken link.
    maybe you need to try again lol cause it goes straight it the the discussions, i just checked
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    maybe you need to try again lol cause it goes straight it the the discussions, i just checked
    maybe the joke's on you?
    Doesn't matter. I answered all your questions above. I've had Palm phones for years, including the dinosaur pictures to the left.

And just in case you missed it, I suggest you get a Pre Plus... You have 30 days to return it i you don't like it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Doesn't matter. I answered all your questions above. I've had Palm phones for years, including the dinosaur pictures to the left. And just in case you missed it, I suggest you get a Pre Plus... You have 30 days to return it i you don't like it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Thanks for the info.
    You are welcome. Are you going to get a Pre Plus as I suggested? (grin)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You are welcome. Are you going to get a Pre Plus as I suggested? (grin)
    Maybe - I will look. Limited budget and the fact that I am going to piggyback onto an existing family plan that a friend has may make it too expensive. I checked Walmart and did not find them, but my guess if free w/2 yr contract? That leaves me out.

What about the miniSD Wi-Fi card for the 755p? I see s number of 755p on ebay.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    hmm funny as it is the same infrastructure as precentral.

$ host discussion.treocentral.com
    discussion.treocentral.com has address 166.70.171.114

$ host forums.precentral.net
    forums.precentral.net has address 166.70.171.114
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    hmm funny as it is the same infrastructure as precentral.
    have you ever logged in to treocentral and watched a post that you did in precentral, kinda weird sometimes. your password works for both websites
    Maybe - I will look. Limited budget and the fact that I am going to piggyback onto an existing family plan that a friend has may make it too expensive. I checked Walmart and did not find them, but my guess if free w/2 yr contract? That leaves me out.

What about the miniSD Wi-Fi card for the 755p? I see s number of 755p on ebay.
    I don't have any direct experience with the WiFi card.

You are correct that the Walmart deal requires a contract, but you can do that and still add it as a line to the other plan. I did that with my daughter recently.

Here is the Walmart link:
    Palm Pre Plus (Verizon Wireless) | LetsTalk.com

They are $39 at Amazon with a contract, too.

If you are dead set on a Treo, head on over to TreoCentral.net, which is a sister sight for all things Treo. You will find some good discussion.

Are you requiring WiFi so you can avoid the cost of a data plan? If so, be sure to read up on what it will be capable of. The only WiFi I found for a Treo is this, which is for the Treo650 and Treo680. I don't know if it will work with the 755 or not.

ENFORA WiFi Sled for the Palm Treo 650 (WLN-1502) - NEW - eBay (item 170464394924 end time Apr-01-10 11:25:23 PDT)

Enfora WiFi Adapter for Treo 650 - eBay (item 270551246800 end time Mar-31-10 20:30:24 PDT)

Here is what I found for the 700wx, but then you have to put up with a Windows phone. Although I will say that the 700wx browser is a lit more useful than the PalmOS Blazer browser. With the significant amount of Flash and other advanced media used on web sites, you might actually like the 700wx browser more, but as a phone it is not very convenient to use.

SD Wifi Card for Treo 700w / 700wx !! Works Great!! - eBay (item 130378347533 end time Apr-03-10 13:48:34 PDT)

There are Treo models that have WiFi built in, but none were ever made for Verizon.

Is there another reason why you want a Treo other than to be able to use it with some sort of WiFi adapter? If so, you might be better off getting a Palm TX or other PDA and using something else as a phone. I had the PalmTX and it was an excellent PDA and supported WiFi very well.

But, the folks at TreoCentral will certainly be able to guide you if you need more info.

The only downside to the Pre is that it required a $30 data plan. However, it is really fast because it is a 3G connection. If you can add that to your friend's plan, it would be fantastic.

Sorry I don't have any direct experience with WiFi on the Treo.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, actually I am only interested in the Phone/Txt (and maybe PicMail) from Verizon.

I had been looking at Cricket plans for myself and my wife, and with Cricket it is cheaper to get the Everything plan than many of the talk/text plans with Sprint or Verizon. The thought of web on a phone is not thrilling, but if it was there, I'd use it - if not I really have no reason to pay extra for that service.

I am a tightwad - I don't even want an expensive phone. I simply don't care. I also don't care so much if the technology is a few years old, as long as it works. The Treo just looked fun, plus they are readily available for cheap! If I could use it as WiFi, then BONUS! I am willing to consider any PDA that I can get cheaply that has WiFi - and to be honest, I would really prefer something a bit clunkier like the Treo - I hate little ladyfinger phones.

What about a WiFi Treo flashed to Verizon - is there such an animal?

That WiFi adapter that you posted looks great! And hey - if I bust a Treo - a replacement is also CHEAP!

Thanks for all the great info. I'd love to PM if you don't mind - just didn't want to intrude...
    If cheap and simple is what you want, you probably want a plain texting/feature phone from LG, Samsung or the like. Those won't require an expensive data plan like the Palm phones will. As soon as you get into a smartphone (even an old one like a Treo) you're into a much more expensive data plan.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
  17.    #17  
    After some research I have been told (and re-told) by Verizon that smart-phones built pre-Nov 2008 can be activated on Verizon without a data plan being required.

So my only option for a TREO that I can use as Phone/Txt-Pic on Verizon and add a WiFi SD card would be the 700w/700wx.

I came across the Audiovox XV6700. It is also older, so no data plan required AND it has built in WiFi, which I would use for fun, when in a network.

I know it is OT (and hopefully ok to mention) but, anybody have experience w/an Audiovox XV6700?

This info has been helpful. Thanks to all.
    I think Verizon has adopted a NASTY policy: If your phone will receive/access internet they REQUIRE a Data Plan 9.99/mo minimum on top of txt plan

If U want to maintain TIGHTWAD status may want to avoid Big Red

Any SMARTPHONE req: 29.99 Data Plan
    Last edited by Calmpewter; 03/31/2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add info