1.    #1  
    At our church we have 5 e-mail addresses provided through our web host. The POP3 server is inbound.electric.net and the SMTP is outbound.electric.net. My problem concerns being able to "send" mail.

Using the same network connection I can send using One Touch and electricpocket's new Mailer but I cannot send using Eudora's Mail program.

I really like the Eudora program and wish to use it as my only e-mail program. but of course must be able to send. Does anybody know anything about what might be causing this? Eudora has quite extensive security settings and perhaps I've not found the right combination yet.

Thanks for any help!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I don't know if this problem/solution is related or not but I found that with eudora I could not send mail but I could send and recieve mail.... never figured out why. Now I :menu: M (send and recieve) and all seems to work fine....
    It sounds like your ISP has pop before smtp.

Its a pretty common setup. Basicly it refuses to send mail via the server untill the server gets a valid username and password (such as you give it when you check your mail). This prevents any random user sending out mail via that stmp machine, and thus causing any spam to seem as if it came from your ISP, and not the real sender.

Just check your mail before you send, and it should be fine for the rest of the session.
  4.    #4  
    If that is the case, why would "Mailer" and "One Touch Mail" successfully send and Eudora not...

I remain puzzled...
    www.riverontheweb.com

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Originally posted by riverbruce
    If that is the case, why would "Mailer" and "One Touch Mail" successfully send and Eudora not...

I remain puzzled...

Did it work? Using send and recieve?
  6.    #6  
    No... using the "Send and Receive" option made no difference for me. Thanks though for the suggestion.
    www.riverontheweb.com

Riverbruce,

Do ytou get an error message when you try to send? If so, post it.
  8.    #8  
    It's weird Yardie. I used to get a dialogue box asking if its alright to send username and password to the server (to which I always replied "yes") then after try to connect I would get a message about a certificate and would I accept it next time (to which I always replied "yes"). Of course the next time the same thing would happen. I tweaked around with different combinations on the security tab for the account I wish to send with and recently I've been getting a "server busy or not responsive" message. I can go straight to ElectricPocket's "Mailer" program and immediately send my mail. Thanks in advance for any time you spend thinking about this! I really like Eudora and would like to continue to use it as my primary e-mail program.

My present settings for the account chosen to send with:

Basic Tab:

POP: inbound.electric.net
    SMTP: outbound.electric.net

Security Tab:

POP: Authentication=best available; Security (SSL)= If Available
    SMTP: Authentication=best available; Security (SSL)=If Available

OK... just tried it again and here's exactly what happened:

Dialed.... Finding Server... Connecting... Negotiating...

Outbound Server is requesting Username and Password
    Is it OK to send POP Username and Password?

I say Yes and it automatically re-dials ISP (Voicestream's ISDN)

Then I receive; "SSL Trust Error"

The Server certificate is not trusted:

Server is not certified by a trusted certificate authority.

Trust this certificate next time? No Yes View

If I click view I see "Security Details" CA, BC, Burnaby, The Electric Company, and outbound.electric.net

I choose yes, to trust the certificate next time and the ISP is dialed, I receive "Finding server, connecting, negotiating, securing connection and then the same SSL Trust Error dialogue box.

HELP!
    www.riverontheweb.com

9.    #9  
    Finally CRACKED IT!

I changed SMTP Security Tab settings to:

Authentication: Plain; Don't Authenticate
    Security (SSL): None

Bingo.... I was able to send!
    www.riverontheweb.com