1.    #1  
    Hey All,
    this is one of my first posts, so go easy on me.
    I have a theory about things with Palm. I'm sure it's been mentioned before about the name of their first device with webOS, the Pre, but I really am beginning to think that name was intentional. Of course, the prefix "pre" means before or ahead. I think that they released the Pre and Pixi to get the OS into people's hands and essentially have beta testers, to line up developers, and to really figure out how the OS is going to perform on various networks. With that said, they are developing other devices with webOS, and probably not just phones.
    RCR Wireless posted an interview from CTIA with a woman, Kimberly Sauceda, who is the product manager of smartphones at Palm. That part of her title, "of smartphones" would be redundant and unnecessary if all Palm is going to produce are phones. They clearly have something else on tap. webOS seems to be designed to run mutiple types of devices, not simply smartphones. What does everyone else think?
    I think you might be on to something my Friend
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    assuming you're right, do you think this is good or bad (indifferent) to Pre owners. I'm thinking iphone, ipod, ipad....
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    I'd be interested in reading this article...
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  5.    #5  
    I tried to post a link to the RCR article, but it wouldn't let me since I didn't have 10 posts, or something like that.
    just post it without the http and .com parts we should be able to fill it in and make a link for you.

Also very interesting, I like the idea and if anything if this isn't palms intention they should take credit for it cause it will make them look brilliant.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How would Palm pay for the R&D and production costs of these radically different devices?

I think the Plan was for Palm to follow the Iphone model and simply release incremental updates to the Pre and Pixi for a number of years - since both of those phones have been flops, that plan now seems in doubt. However, I don't think Palm has the cash to try anything different, they are simply trying to survive.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/30/2010 at 10:19 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I didn't say the devices were "radically" different. I simply asserted that perhaps Palm is looking at more than simply phones. I don't think that eventually a tablet of some sort and/or reader device would be unreasonable.
    You are correct. Palm has been saying for quite some time now that they are more than a phone company they are a mobile computer co.

Look at there website. You will see under products they have a sub category for phones.
    Buy Palm Phones and Accessories : Palm Store USA

Interesting.....
    http://learning.palm.com/splg/webos/

palm / webos learning video
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livelife View Post
    You are correct. Palm has been saying for quite some time now that they are more than a phone company they are a mobile computer co.

Look at there website. You will see under products they have a sub category for phones.
    Buy Palm Phones and Accessories : Palm Store USA

Interesting.....
    Talk is cheap...
    From the start, Palm should have focused solely on the software and let the phone companies make WebOS compatible phones. They are trying to take on Apple by coming up with a Palm branded phone, but sadly that strategy isn't working so well. As much as I absolutely LOVE my Pre Plus, WebOS and the WebOS phones aren't making the kind of headway that Palm was expecting.

I have also been thinking about what else might be causing problems for Palm. I think Apple is brilliant with their hardware design. Although I like the smaller form factor of the Pre, Apple has made the iPhone as a device that easily interfaces with ACCESSORIES, mainly docking stations. I think this is a critical factor. If you want a phone to succeed, not only does it need lots of great apps, but it also needs accessories. People love to accessorize, and apparently people love to have a toilet paper holder with an iPhone dock. But seriously, I think the docking feature is really important.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not an apple ****** nor do I own an iPhone. I am quite happy with my Pre Plus. I'm just trying to analyze what has made the iPhone so successful and what is hindering Palm WebOS from being accepted as the awesome platform that it is.

Also, looking at the latest numbers, it looks like the iPhone is on its way down. Android seems to be gaining quite a bit of momentum and is currently on its way up. Again, very sad news because we all know which os really is the best OS - WebOS.

I hate to be a little pessimistic here, but unless Palm comes up with a massively upgraded flagship phone and some killer apps and app deals (like Slingplayer for iPhone and Windows Phone 7, Netflix for Windows Phone 7), they're gonna be in a world of hurt. As it stands, the only thing we have to look forward to for now is the promise of Flash support, whenever that will be.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I just hope that they have enough cash to release a high end, webos equipped smartphone. As for any other devices, it will be dependent on how well they're able to pull off this last ditch effort to gain market share.

The only thing is, I think they would be wise to announce the phone about a month before it's released and available. The Pre took 6 months or so (?) and didn't meet sales expectations because the hype had died down.

Go Palm and WebOS!
  13. rayhollister
    I hope so! I am dying for a WebOS tablet device with some seriously beautiful high end hardware.
    My final thoughts and then I have to go:

I just tried using my Palm Pre as a WiFi Hotspot Router with 4 of my buddies. 2 Iphones 1 Droid and a Blackberry Curve. They were very impressed. Can your DROID OR IPHONE DO THAT?

There is talk of a new device coming from Palm in the coming months. I predict that it have all wrappings of the Palm Pre + to include the following

Free Wifi Tethering for all carriers (Not just Verizon) Why? Because Sprint has an inclusive deal with Clear to offer 4G WiMax service. The service is already up an running in Houston. The next Pre WILL be a 4G phone. This is the reason Sprint is Hush Hush on their next Pre Phone. Yes I prefer 4G over another 8GB of memory.

5MP camera
    MicroSDHC memory card slot for extra storage (support for up tp 32GB)
    Flash (Built-In)
    Voice command and recording
    HD video recording
    VOIP support
    Over 8000 apps by the end of the year.