1.    #1  
    Palm needs to gain some leverage. Especially in a market where the big boys (Google & Apple) are doing their best to bury the most potent potential competition they have which is Palm's webOS.
    Rather than partner with or become a subdivision of a company like HTC or Nokia, I propose a partnership with a Company who also has much to gain in a relationship that could be beneficial to both.

As we all know information is now the currency of the realm so to speak and Google has plenty of it. On the flip side Apple has built on a dependable and proven product (the iPod) to gain a trademark that made the iPhone a guaranted successful product and a shoe in to take a controlling stance in the smartphone marketplace based on the "i"Pod's popularity and following. Hence the iPhone made the Motorola Razr into an almost instant dinosaur like it's previous StarTAC became (anyone remember those?).

So I propose a partnership with Yahoo. Yahoo could gain from a hardware communiction product to connect with and Palm could use an Info monster with advertising bucks and influence like Yahoo. I believe this could be a match made in Cyber Heaven. Google needs some competition in this market and who better than Yahoo to provide it. Apple needs the same, and who better than Palm and webOS to give them a run for the money.

Thoughts?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Yahoo purchasing Palm is an interesting proposal. If Yahoo was more flush with cash it would be really interesting. A Palm / Yahoo joint venture would throw a serious monkey wrench into the Yahoo / Microsoft relationship. If the circumstances were different I suspect that Yahoo might be happy to send Balmer and company packing. In the end, the comment about two failing companies coming together is the most salient. It would be the blind leading the lame.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by yepyep123 View Post
    I dont know. I dont think the solution to one failing company is adding another failing company.

Just doesnt seem logical to me, but hey.. what do i know.

guess we'll see
    I suppose you're right. Actually I should have said an Alliance instead of a partnership. Perhaps a webOS device with Yahoo like android with google, was what I was thinking.

Just thowing out an idea; tired of talking about 1.4 bugs and Evo 4G's and stuff like that.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I agree with the other post. Failing company + failing company doesn't equate to success. I also agree with OP in that I'm also tired of talking about 1.4 bugs (yes, we know they exist) and about EVO 4G. Lol

I'd rather see someone who has hw experience partner with them. HTC is putting out some beastly hw but doesn't necessarily mean that there are not other companies out there doing good hw.

And I'm talking about HTC again. Lol

Fail.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 03/29/2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    A large company wanting to get its feet wet in phones and internet, could buy them both. Merge the two and emerge with a solid buisness. Not going to happen, but a idea. The perfect company to buy Palm IMO is Dell. They could even bring a Palm Pad to the sceen quickly. Not going to happen either. What will happen is a hostal takover and palm will be sold off bit by bit. Untill nothing is left, but me with a useless phone.
    Palm needs help from ANYBODY.

They can't do it alone, and they need to stop thinking that they can.

I like that they have the abillity to just barely make it w/ 1,000 employees... but they should be totally dominating by now.

As somebody else mentioned the other day... even Apple was brought back from the brink of destruction (in '97 or so) by Microsoft!! Palm obviously hasn't been trying to build bridges with anybody, much less their enemies! Palm is far too short-sighted and especially proud.
    Nice Discussion - better suited for the General Palm Forum (not the Pre Forum).
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i'd like to see palm let htc make the hardware... only htc.. and none of that sense ui crap! just webos on htc branded hardware.
    Yeah, lets combine two companies that are being run right into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    As somebody else mentioned the other day... even Apple was brought back from the brink of destruction (in '97 or so) by Microsoft!!
    That's not even remotely true. The only thing Microsoft ever helped Apple through is by creating Office for Mac, but I wouldn't say it helped save Apple from any sort of destruction...

What really helped Apple was the release of the iMac, Mac OS X, and the iPod. Combine that with software created from the acquisitions of other companies (the Pro applications, iLife, and iWork applications) and you have a recipe for success. Keep in mind that the iPod was essentially created by Jon Rubinstein. If he can do it for Apple I don't see why he couldn't do it for Palm.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    HP would be a really good buyer or partner IMHO. HP have by far been the most aggressive in trying to differentiate their products from other PC's and Palm/WeOS would help differentiate the company further from the likes of Acer and Dell not just because of WebOS but also Palm's huge amount of IP holdings. Palm would obviously get access to a huge marketing machine and R&D resources.

As long as HP leave the software development to Palm I'll be happy - lord I can't stand HP's software, be it drivers, photo editing, etc...
    Um....Microsoft sure did help Apple...bought 150 million in shares in 1997 and in exchange, Microsoft got to make IE and Office versions for Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    That's not even remotely true. The only thing Microsoft ever helped Apple through is by creating Office for Mac, but I wouldn't say it helped save Apple from any sort of destruction...

What really helped Apple was the release of the iMac, Mac OS X, and the iPod. Combine that with software created from the acquisitions of other companies (the Pro applications, iLife, and iWork applications) and you have a recipe for success. Keep in mind that the iPod was essentially created by Jon Rubinstein. If he can do it for Apple I don't see why he couldn't do it for Palm.
    How bout Sony? we need someone with Cash and fill a void in their line up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post

How do you go about proving that something DIDN'T happen?? ... unless you know EVERYTHING???

But yes, for your information, Microsoft *DID* bail Apple out.

Some people...

Act like Google doesn't even exist.