Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    *UPDATE: I've revised the current Mock up with feedback from the community, please see Page 2.*

    I've had a lot of time on my hands these past few days, and I recently took to overclocking my Pre, it's amazingly snappy now and It's like falling in love all over again.

    That said, I want more, which got me thinking about what Palm will do for their next phone. So I made this mock-up of my "dream" pre2.

    http://i41.tinypic.com/2qhzyn9.png

    http://i41.tinypic.com/8vn0cm.png

    I imagine it running a Snap Dragon 1ghz processor with high RAM, etc. Overall a very sturdy phone, and the same screen resolution as the Droid, yadda yadda.

    What are YOUR thoughts on the next Palm phone, if one should exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sketh; 04/18/2010 at 11:17 PM.
  2. #2  
    I kind of like it, looks like an iphone and a pre had a baby.

    I'd buy it if it was real, I like the idea of a little larger screen by reducing the bezel size. Keeping the physical keyboard is a plus too.
  3. #3  
    I really hope palm announces something with strong hardware before the evo is released, the specs on that one are wat the next palm phone needs. I would hate to leave webOS and go to android, I'm sure many considering the evo feel this way.
  4. #4  
    That is beautiful!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. I kinda imagined it as a Dell Mini 5 meets Pre meets iPhone, and I think it turned out great.

    The larger screen, the faster processor, it would be just what palm needs.
  6. #6  
    i F'in love it. I hope your doing this for a living....
  7. #7  
    Now that would make me stay..
  8. #8  
    Kool! but I dont think it would be a big hit outside of the WebOS community. We that know what WebOS is capable of...would like that but there are MUCH BETTER looking phones out there.

    Honestly, loose the keyboard! ...I want a virtual one.
  9. #9  
    Did you do that with some photoshop magic?

    My theory based on reading tech blogs and forums is that when it comes to mobile computing (form factor and platform), the consumers do not know what they want.

    That said, it appears that the mock-ups that I have seen and look more like HTC with a front sliding keyboard.

    I like the current Palm Pre & Pixi smartphone form factors and screen sizes. Any thing larger and it loses portability.

    Being a smartphone consumer myself, I probably don't know what I want.

    However, what will probably give me the satisfaction and make me compare everything else to it is the form factor/mobile OS that makes me believe it is everything I want and everything I need in a smartphone.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    Honestly, loose the keyboard! ...I want a virtual one.
    You know, while making the mockup I was thinking the same thing, but then I attempted the keyboard and I thought it fit nicely. I love the Pre's keyboard, no matter what anyone says about it. I can type just fine on it, but for sure the option for a virtual keyboard would be great. But I'm fine with the offerings on Preware, for now.


    And as for doing this as a living, hardly. But I do do it often, I work for Google (don't hate me) and a big part of pitching to customers are mock ups.

    And for the record, I'm not a huge Android fan.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LACienega View Post
    Kool! but I dont think it would be a big hit outside of the WebOS community. We that know what WebOS is capable of...would like that but there are MUCH BETTER looking phones out there.

    Honestly, loose the keyboard! ...I want a virtual one.
    Then get a droid or iphone, lol. (or just don't slide the phone open)

    The physical keyboard is one of the advantages Palm has over some of the competition. Most people prefer a physical keyboard or having both than just having a VKB. I use my VKB occasionally, but for most things it's not very practical or efficient compared to the physical keyboard. I can honestly say if they dropped the physical keyboard I wouldn't consider the next model.
  12. #12  
    ^^The idea is not having one at all...which would make the phone much slimmer.

    Im going with the Evo unless Palm unveils something superior to it.

    If the phones is beautiful and powerful, people dont care about a physical keyboard. Just look at the iphone, or even Samsung, LG, HTC, and RIM who keep making them.
  13. jt99's Avatar
    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #13  
    maybe it could you an AT&T Tilt-like spring on the back so that slid out it still curves to the face. I don't know if palm would ship something that angular, so if the corners were more rounded, and the back was as round as the current pre's back, I'd break my contract for one! Not to mention 4G-ing it up.

    edit: Also, can you make the volume rocker more defined and less sloped? I've never been a fan of the Pre's volume rocker. The Pixi's is much better IMHO.
  14.    #14  
    The way I invisioned it the back would be very much like the current Pre, being that it would make the phone sort of banana shaped while open. And about the boxish shape, I agree. I'd imagine anything coming from palm to be much more round, probably closer to the pixi in shape, but I feel like the rigidness of the phone being so close to a rectangle would add a bit of luxury to it.

    And the volume rocker was an after thought, I agree, I like the Pixi rocker better, so you win on that.

    I also now lovingly call it the "Palm Stache."
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15. #15  
    First, good mockup. It looks like it could be an official render.

    The comparison picture is the most important, I think, of your attached pictures. The stand-alone keyboard-open pic, without reference, made it look like the Lurch of all smartphones. But since your design is essentially the same size as the Pre it should be just as usable.

    Critiquing your design, I think the Gesure Area is a bit too short to be operated one handed and may also make general handling of the device difficult. I do see you went with the Plus-style gesture area, which is where Palm is going.

    I think the earpiece speaker needs more plastic than being right at the edge affords it. That is likely to break right quick and then get filled with gunk.

    Both of these changes, if you choose to make them, would add a little more height to the device, but it shouldn't ruin the design.

    One piece of Palm's design language that would have been nice is to increase the bottom radius and curve the bottom just slightly. That goes back to the Treo days, too. I've always found the asymetrical curves of Palm's phones pleasing.

    As for the keyboard, the only argument against that would be the thickness it adds to the device. I see your device as a complement to the Pre and Pixi and I think there could be more differentiation. I think a Pre size with a Pixi thinness would round out Palm's stable nicely for now.

    The screen should be 640x480, but after that, the other internals can be whatever we dream of.

    Again, good job. I like this mockup much more than the other one, but I also haven't seen a comparison image of that device, either.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/28/2010 at 01:33 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    First, good mockup. It looks like it could be an official render.

    The comparison picture is the most important, I think, of your attached pictures. The stand-alone keyboard-open pic, without reference, made it look like the Lurch of all smartphones. But since your design is essentially the same size as the Pre it should be just as usable.

    Critiquing your design, I think the Gesure Area is a bit too short to be operated one handed and may also make general handling of the device difficult. I do see you went with the Plus-style gesture area, which is where Palm is going.

    I think the earpiece speaker needs more plastic than being right at the edge affords it. That is likely to break right quick and then get filled with gunk.

    Both of these changes, if you choose to make them, would add a little more height to the device, but it shouldn't ruin the design.

    One piece of Palm's design language that would have been nice is to increase the bottom radius and curve the bottom just slightly. That goes back to the Treo days, too. I've always found the asymetrical curves of Palm's phones pleasing.

    As for the keyboard, the only argument agaist that would be the thickness it adds to the device. I see your device as a complement to the Pre and Pixi and I think there could be more differentiation. I think a Pre size with a Pixi thinness would round out Palm's stable nicely for now.

    The screen should be 640x480, but after that, the other internals can be whatever we dream of.

    Again, good job. I like this mockup much more than the other one, but I also haven't seen a comparison image of that device, either.
    All valid points which I will take into consideration if I find some time to continue evolving my mock up. I'm afraid if I get too attached to it that I'll be disappointed with whatever Palm actually puts out, ha.

    Also, would you mind linking to this other mockup you mentioned? I haven't seen many and It'd help with some design choices I'm inbetween.
  17. #17  
    Looks great, your keyboard is missing the smile. I think it is much easier to type on the smile shape and was/is? a palm patent at one time I thought.
  18. #18  
    This is the mockup I was thinking of:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...40-mockup.html

    But I also found this other mockup while looking for the above:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...40-mockup.html
  19. #19  
    very nice work
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    This is the mockup I was thinking of:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...40-mockup.html

    But I also found this other mockup while looking for the above:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...40-mockup.html
    ***drool***
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions