Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Definitely eye-candy! I am one of the many who are FOR the vertical slider and increased screen size.

Did you include a front-facing camera?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    It looks great! I would love to see the keyboard be able to rotate for use in landscape.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I really like way the base curves on the Palm pre. It almost feels retro - like I'm holding an older phone when I'm talking to someone. I hope the new one has sexy curves as well
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by bdarknessb View Post
    I really hope palm announces something with strong hardware before the evo is released, the specs on that one are wat the next palm phone needs. I would hate to leave webOS and go to android, I'm sure many considering the evo feel this way.
    sadly, I agree with you. I love Web OS but the Evo, from a hardware and software perspective, is intriguing to me. Unless Palm can show me a phone worth waiting on. Which according to their cash position will not be feasible this year, at least until their inventories come down.
    I also really liked your mock up. This is more what I would go for. I am one of the people who specifically got this phone because it is a pocketable smartphone unlike all the others.

I have to agree with @Colonel Kernel on the too minimalist area for the gestures. I think you could add the same rounded curves (only very little bit) to the top and bottom of your mockup and the additional area would give more room for gesture area and a front facing camera. It would also keep with Palms rounded device form factor that I love. It would make the phone only slightly bigger than what the pre is now. I actually think the mockup you did is slightly smaller than the pre. By the way don't get rid of the keyboard, its another feature that was critical to my decision to get the Palm Pre. The slider doesn't necessarily need to curve out, since it is my theory that is the design flaw causing all the oreo effect people have problems with.

Great job and I hope this gets on the front page so that Palm can really consider it. It is by far the best design I have seen in the forums.
    I dont like the bottom slide keyboard i hope palm switches it up and gets a landscape keyboard and a larger screen
    I like the small keyboard. I hate the larger ones with the keys straight with letters QAZ all vertical.
    And dealbreaker if they lose physical keyboard lol.
  9.    #29  
    I'm currently editing the design, a lot.

The time for input is now, if anyone has anything constructive to say.

http://i43.tinypic.com/o73y4i.jpg

Basically, what's changed is some of the dimensions, adding curves, bigger ear piece, subtle design changes.

Both the top and bottom are curved, as well as the sides, but minimally. I'm at a cross if the sides should be rounder or not, like the Pre currently has.

I had to start over from scratch, as I couldn't locate my vector file. So I've got it now, and I think we should community design this, inside and out. Maybe Palm will listen?

(Yeah, right.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sketh; 04/17/2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: *Explanation*
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i really like the design, but i also would like a trackball in the middle and used the gesture on the two side of the trackball....

why trackball ? cuz sometime is difficult to edit a text message or when typing in the browser....
    nice work looks good if this came out I def would buy
  12. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Very, very nice.
    1GHZ snapdragon won't last, it needs something faster because all these phones that are out are already running 1GHZ CPUs and by the time Palm releases its new one, it will only be outdated by release date. but reality says most likely 1GHZ otherwise it would be a dumb move.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    1GHZ snapdragon won't last, it needs something faster because all these phones that are out are already running 1GHZ CPUs and by the time Palm releases its new one, it will only be outdated by release date. but reality says most likely 1GHZ otherwise it would be a dumb move.
    as long as the phone run smoothly and reliable with no hickups I don't have a problem with it...
    other is having a high speed cpu could drain battery fast or get hot quick, for example the intel i7 on a laptop, that sucker get pretty hot within mins, but depend what u have running....
  15.    #35  
    Being realistic, it would probably have a 1GHz Snap Dragon, which would be more than sufficient. Considering overclocking a pre to 800MHz makes it super speedy, a phone with hardware designed around a faster chip would fly, still.

Add more RAM on top of that, and we'd be golden. Possibly some Tegra action, though it's not really needed.
    I'm actually thinking that the OMAP4 series would be a better fit than the snapdragon processors, as they'll be much more similar to what webOS is running on now. A 1GHz OMAP4 with the symmetric multiprocessing could probably outperform the snapdragon anyway.

Besides that - the one thing I would love to see would be dual mics - or at least a centered mic. The most annoying thing about the pre so far has been the mic being muffled when I hold it in my left hand.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    nope dude, fugly...not original...i'd never buy it. too iphone'ish
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    what about the front-loading camera..carbon fiber back..?
    I love the new revise, and the way you detailed the speaker more and along the side of the bezel to be more like a slimmer bezeled nexus 1.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    One thing I think is really important in design is ergonomics. Seeing your mock up in keyboard mode I couldn't help but notice that the keyboard lost it's smile. I never noticed it until right now when I saw these pictures but our keyboard has a slight curve (smile) and also seeing these pictures makes me really miss my little egg shaped Pre.

Love that the gesture area has been reduced and the screen looks amazing. Also, where can we get that background? Nizzzee.

Like the vent on top replacing the silver button that I sometimes mistake for the home key. LOL

I prefer to square the cards more than the actual phone itself. Squaring the cards out will make the screen appear larger while still retaining the exterior curve.

If possible, I would like to take the number keys and move them to the top adding a fourth row of keys and more ctrl+ shortcuts on the letters.

would like to see your ideas about the volume control keys/headphone/usb charger position (everybody agrees that the charger flap door needs to be moved), also..tbc to be cont...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast