Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Is there any way on the Treo 180 to control how many rings before voicemail picks up, or is that controlled by my provider (voicestream)? I find 4 rings go by almost too quickly in some situations. I don't want it to ring all day, but 6 rings would be better.

- Matt
    I "think" this is something that the wireless provider can set up for you. Not positive but I seem to remember having it changed once.

Let me know what you find out.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    if you have cingular, tech support can chane the call forward conditions to forward the call after more rings.
    This is another one of the MAJOR screw ups by Handspring on the Treo. Every phone I have owned in the past (and I have been thru quite a few) allowed you to set the 'call forwarding options'. These options are stored by the network but are set by you on your phone, that is unless you own a Treo which does not allow you to do so.
    Anyhow what I end up having to do is take my sim and put it in another older phone, that I have, set my preferences with that phone and then shift the sim back to the Treo.
    Isn't there a program of some sort that allows you to change the forwarding options? Go to www.handango.com and search for "treo" and it will pop up. I don't know if it will change ring numbers but I know it does a lot of things with how the phone reacts to incoming calls.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    The treo has forwarding options. In the dial app, pull down the menu and select 'call options' (or something like that). One of those menus brings up a detailed forwarding screen. but ring count still isn't one of the options.

- Matt
    I do not remember seeing this option in any of my phones and I checnge my phones very often. I walys thought the amount of ring was a network thing hmmm....

Originally posted by Sanjay
    This is another one of the MAJOR screw ups by Handspring on the Treo. Every phone I have owned in the past (and I have been thru quite a few) allowed you to set the 'call forwarding options'. These options are stored by the network but are set by you on your phone, that is unless you own a Treo which does not allow you to do so.
    Anyhow what I end up having to do is take my sim and put it in another older phone, that I have, set my preferences with that phone and then shift the sim back to the Treo.
    To change the time before the call is forwarded to the mailbox, just enter at the dialling screen:

**61*<mailbox number>**<time>#<dial>

Time can be between 5 in 30 seconds, in steps of 5 seconds.
    Originally posted by Sanjay
    I want to commend you for such a great atitude, it is great to see someone that has to go through such pains with their $600. portable phone/PDA/web and email browser is not letting such problems get to them.

The poor... all they have to worry about is getting out of the sun or rain and getting fed, they just don't understand how hard we have it at the top.

I sure hope you invest, design, build, market and sevice the next convergance device so we won't have to put up with all of this hassle next time. I look forward to your "perfect" device!

You think you can get it out the door for maybe half the price also? Didn't you think it was a bit expensive too?

Let us know how it is coming.

Rod
    Last edited by Veloslave; 06/08/2002 at 03:52 PM.
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PuDerBaer
    To change the time before the call is forwarded to the mailbox, just enter at the dialling screen:

**61*<mailbox number>**<time>#<dial>

Time can be between 5 in 30 seconds, in steps of 5 seconds.
    I gave this a try and it said 'operation failed'. is my mailbox number my phone number, or is it something else?

- matt
    Originally posted by mportune
    I gave this a try and it said 'operation failed'. is my mailbox number my phone number, or is it something else?
    It is the number the call has to be diverted to for reaching the mailbox. This number should be on the call settings panel of the telephone app.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

It is the number the call has to be diverted to for reaching the mailbox. This number should be on the call settings panel of the telephone app.
    ahh, that did it. hmm, it took the command successfully, but even when i use 30 seconds, i'm still only getting 5 rings (takes about 12-15 seconds.

This is a great tip though. Where did you get that info? Is there a list of other commands I can fiddle with?

- matt
    Originally posted by mportune
    Where did you get that info? Is there a list of other commands I can fiddle with?
    This command and many others are part of the GSM standard. There are many sites that list some of them. You might want to google for "gsm-codes".
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

This command and many others are part of the GSM standard. There are many sites that list some of them. You might want to google for "gsm-codes".
    Thanks for the tip! I found a few sites with codes on them - interesting stuff.

As for the treo, looks like I got 1 extra ring out of it (5 total) but it won't ring any longer than that. I'm not sure if it's a treo limit or a voicestream limit.

Thanks again!

- Matt
    Originally posted by Veloslave

I want to commend you for such a great atitude, it is great to see someone that has to go through such pains with their $600. portable phone/PDA/web and email browser is not letting such problems get to them.

The poor... all they have to worry about is getting out of the sun or rain and getting fed, they just don't understand how hard we have it at the top.

I sure hope you invest, design, build, market and sevice the next convergance device so we won't have to put up with all of this hassle next time. I look forward to your "perfect" device!

You think you can get it out the door for maybe half the price also? Didn't you think it was a bit expensive too?

Let us know how it is coming.

Rod
    I am still trying to figure out what exactly in my post ticked you off. Anyhow considering the extremely high price of the Treo (although the price in this case should not really matter) I don't think it is unreasonable for one to expect atleast the very basics in a GSM cellphone. Features that have been around for years (6 yrs in my personal experience) on almost all GSM cellphones, even the cheapest ones (costing no more than US $50). I personally don't buy the excuse of the fact that the Treo is a new product and therefore blah blah... All it would have taken Handspring to get it right is maybe to have spent some time with other brand GSM phones and looked at the available features. I am sure some of the features glaringly omitted from the Treo were not left out due to any technical limitations or challenges but rather they are just gross oversights.. I could go on to list quite a few other oversights which I am quite sure Handspring could have easily included in the Treo, infact I am quite sure they could even rectify this by providing some kind of software update to fix this. Whether they will or not is anybody's guess.