Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok guys take this with a grain of salt.. I know some may not believe me but I'm jus giving info a well informed sprint rep has told me without me asking. I go to my sprint store located by my job in manhattan(86th street Lex ave) I go in to pay my bill and to buy my mom a case for her crackberry. The rep finds me the pink case and starts a conversation with another employee about the htc evo.. So I start to listen nothing important said about the device they jus talk about how beast it is, so I ask the employee hey when does the phone drop he says in june, he then ask me what phone do I use and I tell him a pre he says o then you should wait for the next palm device because it's bigger, better and faster. He goes on and says that it's a slab device with a keyboard no more slider and a 4inch screen he said the Evo was just the first of a beginning of a onslaught of 4g devices for sprint. I ask him when can I expect this to be released and he said after at&t releases there pre palm will hold a press confrence to announce the device.

what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Young HoV 718; 03/27/2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Needs to be in future devices section
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    ok guys take this with a grain of salt.. I know some may not believe me but I'm jus giving info a well informed sprint rep has told me without me asking. I go to my sprint store located by my job in manhattan(86th street Lex ave) I go in to pay my bill and to buy my mom a case for her crackberry. The rep finds me the pink case and starts a conversation with another employee about the htc evo.. So I start to listen nothing important said about the device they jus talk about how beast it is, so I ask the employee hey when does the phone drop he says in june, he then ask me what phone do I use and I tell him a pre he says o then you should wait for the next palm device because it's bigger, better and faster. He goes on and says that it's a slab device with a keyboard no more slider and a 4inch screen he said the Evo was just the first of a beginning of a onslaught of 4g devices for sprint. I ask him when can I expect this to be released and he said after at&t releases there pre palm will hold a press confrence to announce the device.

what do you guys think?
    He's full of ****, if that sort of information was available to a low-level grunt in a store, it would have leaked all over the place by now.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/27/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    I agree, he's probably full of it, but wouldn't it be nice if he wasn't?!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    He seems to be telling the truth. Palm will definitely come out with a new device. Palm will definitely come out with a 4G (in fact all of the manufacturers will). Palm will definitely come out with a device with a faster processor. Palm will definitely come out with a better device. Palm will definitely make an announcement after the release of Pre in AT&T. He didn't mention dates so I believe him. In fact anybody can say what he just said about any brand.
    Doesn't a "slab device" mean no keyboard? Or maybe he means a virtual keyboard.. And a 4" screen..

If any/all of that is true then I guess the Pre is gonna have to hold me for a while longer, as I personally don't want a Palm iPhone no matter how powerful it is
    this may or may not be true,,but why is this not possible,why do you think with out doubt,,this is bull. Haters so want to believe that palm is finished. That the pre was the best they could do and now is over. I for one believe they will release a new device this year. I will gladly wait. I will also take pleasure watching all the haters jump ship,,and regret it later on.

a well informed sprint rep

what do you guys think?
    There is no such animal.
    Along this same topic, I thought it was announced a while ago that Palm was getting out of the hardware side of the smartphone market(?) So after the Pre/Pixi Palm was just gonna farm out the O/S..
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    He's full of ****, if that sort of information was available to a low-level grunt in a store, it would have leaked all over the place by now.
    exactly my thoughts... but then i asked my self why would anyone tell somebody not to get the htc evo its a beast of a phone... for him to say o dont get that wait for palm had me kinda thinking maybe just maybe he is telling the truth.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    exactly my thoughts... but then i asked my self why would anyone tell somebody not to get the htc evo its a beast of a phone... for him to say o dont get that wait for palm had me kinda thinking maybe just maybe he is telling the truth.

Bull****ters like people to think they are have the inside track on things.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    If I was the sales person, I would have told you to wait for the next Palm device for the following reason: With my card in your hand I'd be anticipating your return and use of my services for purchasing that device. I would have noticed you pay your bill in store (meaning the store is convenient for you to get too). Most Pre users are loyal to the OS enough to get over 9000 hardware replacements (when you come in to buy the device it was a done deal before you walked in). Convincing a WebOS user to switch to an Android device would require some kind of work where as the WebOS device will already have been sold by the time you walk in. I would realize the Evo is already going to net me some sales so guaranteeing at least 1 sale down the road is a smart move.

This is what would have gone through my mind. I may be giving the store clerk to much credit though.

I regards to the device he described. I can not imagine a candybar device being as nice as the Pre. I suppose I can get used to it if they don't make the screen size any smaller.
    Last edited by Honis; 03/27/2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: english isn't my strongest skill
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    The Sprint rep may believe what he told you but if it were true, it would have leaked via other channels by now. That being said, Palm is certainly going to come out with new hardware this year and probably this summer. So in a round-about way, what he told you isn't necessarily wrong - it's just unverifiable.
  13.    #13  
    since he said slab with a keyboard i think he meant a bar phone like this big pixi..
    New Palm webOS device according to WSJ source coming this year, C40? | PalmNewsDaily.com
    a big screen with no slider, yet it still has a keyboard? Sounds like a huge Pixi...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    since he said slab with a keyboard i think he meant a bar phone like this big pixi..
    New Palm webOS device according to WSJ source coming this year, C40? | PalmNewsDaily.com
    I hope not, that thing is a beast! The landscape slider looks very slick though. WebOS would need some modifications to support it, like landscape email (no patch). :/
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I Don't love the Big Pixi mock up, it looks like the size of the iPhone which is a bit too long IMO.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I wondered how palm would screw up a slab phone.. Geez Palm, dump the kb. If people want a kb, buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    This board will always be far more informed than a Sprint rep unless he knows someone at Palm leaking info, and it probably wouldn't be a Sprint rep. He can guess as well as any of us can though.

Another form factor I'd like to see is a variation of the Pre with intended oreo that twists the keyboard to either portrait/landscape mode relative to screen. It would of course need a very solid snap to it.

One thing for sure, the next Pre must have a larger screen and must have specs that one up the Evo. An oreo keyboard would help do that. The dual core 1ghz OMAP would do it too. They don't have to release before Evo, just announce it before Evo is released.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Along this same topic, I thought it was announced a while ago that Palm was getting out of the hardware side of the smartphone market(?) So after the Pre/Pixi Palm was just gonna farm out the O/S..
    That was never announced. Palm licencing webOS was one of the many guesses of people thinking Palm was doomed. Nothing more.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    a big screen with no slider, yet it still has a keyboard? Sounds like a huge Pixi...
    Sign me up. I would prefer something slightly wider and shorter than the mock-up however.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast