1.    #1  
    Here are a couple of news articles about the problems of the GPRS rollout (which Handspring has yet to deliver for the Treos):

U.S. souring on GPRS networks? (from CNET News.com)

Wireless Internet evolving quickly (from SiliconValley.com)

The articles make me wonder whether GPRS on the Treo will be delayed even longer, how well it will work when it finally does become available and how expensive it will actually be. They also make me think the CDMA/1x version of the Treo should be "better" than the GSM/GPRS version.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    "VoiceStream's Thompson said VoiceStream Wireless has finished its GPRS network, and now offers it in 6,500 cities in the United States."

"The result, says Brian Modoff, a telecom analyst with Deutsche Bank Securities in San Francisco, is not too encouraging. He bought a Motorola V60 GPRS phone from a Cingular store and began surfing away. It took less than five seconds to connect to the network and each Web page download took between three and six seconds--much faster than the networks of old, he wrote."
  3.    #3  
    Admittedly, the potential may be good, but here's what concerns me, to quote the articles above:

"The development has helped conjure up more speculation that carriers using GPRS--such as VoiceStream Wireless, AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless--are having problems with their plans to crisscross the nation's biggest cities with these networks."

"Cingular is capping the amount of bandwidth on their networks for data to travel over, saving most of it for voice calls."

"Like Cingular Wireless, VoiceStream is also treating data as a relatively second-class citizen. Voice calls will get priority over wireless Web sessions during busy network times..."

"Redman estimates most wireless data plans today charge users $1 to $7 to send or receive one megabyte of data a month -- charges that can quickly add up. A one-hour session using a private connection to access Microsoft Outlook, for instance, uses eight to 12 megabytes, he said.

"'It's not priced to sell right now,'' Redman said, adding that this is particularly true of the plans offered by the GSM/GPRS operators."
    In a conference call I attended on Wednesday, a Handspring representative said that the GPRS release is targeted and on track for the end of summer. Unfortunately, no specific dates can be given due to the reason it's being held up in the first place. The reason is that there are about 27 carriers worldwide that Handspring is partnering with. ALL the carriers must certify the Treo GPRS solution for their network before the GPRS upgrade can be released (imagine getting the software to find out it didn't work with the towers in your area?). To make matters worse, some carriers have different requirements than others, and the GPRS software has to be tweaked such that it meets their requirements as well as all the others. As you can imagine, getting that all done for 27 carriers around the world is not an easy task, but Handspring is hard at work getting it done.

Another caveat, though, is that while your carrier might have roaming agreements with other carriers for GSM, GPRS roaming agreements aren't nearly as widespread. As such, you might have the ability to make phone calls and Circuit Switched Data calls, but not GPRS connections. This shows us that we most certainly WILL be able to make CSD calls even after installing the GPRS upgrade.

Yes, I know, "Soon" and "they're working on it" isn't really breaking news, but it's reassuring to know WHY it's taking so long, and that it's not something they're holding on to for any kind of market leveraging or political reasons. ;-)

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    ...in the 388, already has GPRS built-in, so why not HS ? You can find umpteen reason why not except that other have done it way before you.
    I think that may postes here fail to release that the TReo si not just ANY phone,. The phone ahs a complex setup..and Handspring has an adhoc partnership with their providers. Most cell phones that are sold are given to the service providers as a generic and the service provider then add and delete what they want when they want it. Do you honestly think that Handspring is holdiong back the GPRS upgrade to tick off their customers? They stand to benefit through more sales once the GPRS upgrade is available.

Originally posted by tqt56
    ...in the 388, already has GPRS built-in, so why not HS ? You can find umpteen reason why not except that other have done it way before you.