Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    on the train from San D to Austin, using my pre with mytether (best $15 spent ever) and i wake up and connect and one of the first things i come across on the yahoo front page is an article on 'ways to identify weak companies' it had a picture of blockbuster...anyways, i start readin it and half way through the article is a clip on palm:

"Blockbuster isn't an isolated example. A few days after the video store chain warned it may have to file for bankruptcy, smartphone maker Palm (PALM) announced "disappointing" sales. The shares, which had risen as high as $18 last fall, slumped to $4.

To hear some people tell it, Palm "surprised," "shocked" or even "stunned" the market with the news.

Really?

This suggests no one on Wall Street had walked into a cellular store recently. Or heard of the iPhone. Or even just looked around on any street, including Wall Street, or in any bar at what smartphones people were using.

You have to wonder just who was bidding up Palm shares last fall. Palm's days have probably been numbered since Apple (AAPL) announced the iPhone in 2007, if not earlier. The Palm Pre, launched last year, just looked like too little, too late."

then further towards the end they jump on sprint a lil bit referring to investors should take cue from when people stop shopping or using a company’s products or services:

"Investors who "sold where they no longer shopped" got out of turkeys from Circuit City to General Motors to Sprint (S) long before Wall Street."

personally...i really have faith that palm can turn this around without having to sell or be bought. apple was craptastic before they launched the ipod, you couldn't get people to buy into stock for anything, now look at them. the pre and webos are catching on; people are starting to recognize that webos is an intuitive and a far superior os. sure...palm has stumbled over a few hurdles but i would not count them out of the race jus yet. so much so that i personally am purchasing stock in palm.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aric47g View Post
    on the train from San D to Austin, using my pre with mytether (best $15 spent ever) and i wake up and connect and one of the first things i come across on the yahoo front page is an article on 'ways to identify weak companies' it had a picture of blockbuster...anyways, i start readin it and half way through the article is a clip on palm:

"Blockbuster isn't an isolated example. A few days after the video store chain warned it may have to file for bankruptcy, smartphone maker Palm (PALM) announced "disappointing" sales. The shares, which had risen as high as $18 last fall, slumped to $4.

To hear some people tell it, Palm "surprised," "shocked" or even "stunned" the market with the news.

Really?

This suggests no one on Wall Street had walked into a cellular store recently. Or heard of the iPhone. Or even just looked around on any street, including Wall Street, or in any bar at what smartphones people were using.

You have to wonder just who was bidding up Palm shares last fall. Palm's days have probably been numbered since Apple (AAPL) announced the iPhone in 2007, if not earlier. The Palm Pre, launched last year, just looked like too little, too late."

then further towards the end they jump on sprint a lil bit referring to investors should take cue from when people stop shopping or using a company’s products or services:

"Investors who "sold where they no longer shopped" got out of turkeys from Circuit City to General Motors to Sprint (S) long before Wall Street."

personally...i really have faith that palm can turn this around without having to sell or be bought. apple was craptastic before they launched the ipod, you couldn't get people to buy into stock for anything, now look at them. the pre and webos are catching on; people are starting to recognize that webos is an intuitive and a far superior os. sure...palm has stumbled over a few hurdles but i would not count them out of the race jus yet. so much so that i personally am purchasing stock in palm.

This is the bit that always gets me in these discussions, there is absolutely no evidence this is the case, so why are we repeating it as fact? Every indicator we can analyse in a rational manner says this is not the case. Palm is in the mess it is in because neither the hardware or the OS are performing in the marketplace.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    +1

definately not catching on
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The context of the article isn't all that bad - its about stock values and making money. And to be honest I, as a conservative investor anyway, wouldn't have invested in Palm until I saw some real movement in market share, which just hasn't happened. Keep in mind that Palm is mentioned because of last weeks bad news. If Palm's results were to be announced next week, another example would have taken its place. That's not to say Palm isn't having problems and the issues they face aren't real, just that timing wise, Palm is an easy example to use, given their performance as of late.

Palm is an easy target and we better get used to articles like this. The same thing happened for several years before GM went into Chp 11 - any article that discussed the auto industry, no matter the subject, had a description of GM somewhere in the article to the effect of "the struggling automaker". Its the nature of journalism today, like it or not.
    There's a huge difference between Palm's position and Apple's back then. Sure the iPod was a big boon for Apple but they are a computer manufacturer with a solid following for their computers as well as their Operating System. Also the iPod was a revolutionary idea backed up by solid hardware.
    I love my Pre, but besides the OS it's hardly revolutionary.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    There's a huge difference between Palm's position and Apple's back then. Sure the iPod was a big boon for Apple but they are a computer manufacturer with a solid following for their computers as well as their Operating System. Also the iPod was a revolutionary idea backed up by solid hardware.
    I love my Pre, but besides the OS it's hardly revolutionary.
    not to mention those nut huggers hanging from Steve Job's.....hes not a god.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    not to mention those nut huggers hanging from Steve Job's.....hes not a god.
    How do you think that comment adds to a rational discussion?
    it doesn't. i'm hating on the haters
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    it doesn't. i'm hating on the haters
    This is your typical inane comment by those who can't accept reality and think that every critical comment is personal.

The other comments made sense. Apple had 5% of the PC market. That's a small footprint but still large enough to keep a system going. Plus it was the favorite of multimedia and graphic artists because that's what the niche was many years ago. It has nothing to do with blowing Steve Jobs.