View Poll Results: Whats going to happen to Palm?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll make a new phone and rule the smartphone world

38 40.86%
  • They might do something cool, like license Webos

20 21.51%
  • They'll make a tiny comeback, but fail in the end

11 11.83%
  • They'll be bought out

24 25.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm has stated in the past that they're working on new hardware, and branching out to new carriers. Jon Rubenstein even said this. I know the Supersonic is coming out, and alot of you are going to ditch Palm, but you'll be sorry when the pre 2 comes out
    Why would one be sorry for switching if/when a Pre 2 (Palm, if you have any remaining sense, you will dump the "Pre" brand) hits?

I hear that sentiment repeated around here over and over, and I find it funny that a hypothetical phone with no specs whatsoever is automatically assumed to be superior to monsters like the Evo. In that case, look out for Windows Phone Series 9. You guys are going to be sorry you didn't jump onboard the new Microsoft ecosystem earlier.
    Ugh, I don't know how many times it has to be said. The EVO (Supersonic) has a completely different target market. The Pre is aimed at the average working person and business men and women. They are not attempting to be the best phone out there. They are aiming towards productivity, not an entertainment phone.
    I don't think Palm has a target market, actually. First, it was the "fat middle", then it was people who are busy, and at this point, it's anybody who'll part with $100 or so and sign a contract.

And any sort of unified message from their ads? Fuggedaboutit.
    MAJOR banks disappeared.
    MAJOR retailers disappeared.
    Why would it be out of the question for a "niche" company to disappear too?

Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    DBD----You are a POS----The hardware is great!!!! Your opinion is f**king annoying...what do you do to your phone that you think its a piece of ****!!! Its people like you I cant stand!!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18
    DBD why dont you go get laid!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18
    Sorry DBD report me but at least I am positive and trying to help PALMS cause!!!!
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/24/2010 at 10:20 AM.
    I would rather palm come out with something that can actually save palm than make something than is only liked by a niche(webos users). I think palm should come come out with something like the htc evo. I most definitely prefer hard keyboard but if a tablet can generate buzz and perform way better I'm all for a tablet. I think speed, large screen, and battery life is what sells now a days. With 4g now i truly believe it would sell better. Nobody wants to have problems wit a slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    Palm has stated in the past that they're working on new hardware, and branching out to new carriers. Jon Rubenstein even said this. I know the Supersonic is coming out, and alot of you are going to ditch Palm, but you'll be sorry when the pre 2 comes out
    Um...isn't the Pre Plus the Pre 2? It's a second version of the Palm Pre.
    This poll precludes a lot of realistic possibilities. I don't think Palm's going anywhere soon, but I doubt they're going to create a messiah-phone.

I think they'll continue to make changes to webOS, straighten out their marketing strategy, release new hardware later this year, cash in some of their short term investments, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I would rather palm come out with something that can actually save palm than make something than is only liked by a niche(webos users). I think palm should come come out with something like the htc evo. I most definitely prefer hard keyboard but if a tablet can generate buzz and perform way better I'm all for a tablet. I think speed, large screen, and battery life is what sells now a days. With 4g now i truly believe it would sell better. Nobody wants to have problems wit a slider.
    Only problem there is Sprint is the only one with 4G. And they clearly have a partner in mind for its first 4G phone. The slabs are dropping all over the place now.

Clearly though Palm needs to do better. How about a wimax 5" 720p screen phone with 1080p video recording and a 12MP camera? Solar powered constant recharging.

How big a screen can a phone have? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    How big a screen can a phone have? :P
    .... And when do we stop calling these things phones, when they are so much more?
    Palm won't be going anywhere. The facts are this:

Rubenstein has had a strategy that has been implemented since day one and he will continue to tackle it. Rome wasn't built in a day. I don't think Palm or Jon expected to be "the phone of choice" yet. What it is right now and probably why their build isn't solid is brand awareness around webOS - not the Pre.

Unfortunately, Verizon and Bell ( I am Canadian and Bell has treated the Pre like Verizon has) have put small burdens on Palms approach, which now Palm has to tackle. The stock did fall and they're quarterly earning were mediocre at best (though sales revenue was higher than expected) but it's not the end of all for Palm.

Keep in mind. webOS is a brand new platform in a competitive market. It's been out 10 months. We're at 1.4 already which has seen some substantial improvements thus far (no, it's not perfect, and no some things should be a bit better, but really, it's not that easy).

Anywho, Palm has their strategy, there's a reason why they aren't up for sale right now and they will continue to implement it. I think Palm will be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmeesh View Post
    This poll precludes a lot of realistic possibilities. I don't think Palm's going anywhere soon, but I doubt they're going to create a messiah-phone.

I think they'll continue to make changes to webOS, straighten out their marketing strategy, release new hardware later this year, cash in some of their short term investments, etc.
    Exactly what I planned on saying. I think they will stick around and be a player in the market although as a smaller player.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmeesh View Post

I agree with this. I also think that it could go where the Treos went later on as other Smartphones were developed. They weren't at the top, nor the bottom, they were one brand of many available.

Here's the good news. Although it seems to be happening late, that G-4 show labeled it 5 out of 5, they said they have never done that before. Another article put it at the Gadget of the year. It has gotten good reviews. The WebOS platform does multi-tasking in ways other phones don't. This could generate great buzz during 2010. And if they press release this new device and release it immediately following rather than having people wait months with no release date, it could certainly revitalize them. I don't think they will ever dominate, but they will definitely increase their marketshare.

If this new phone they will release does not meet or exceed projected numbers they put out there, I see them possibly licensing it out like they did the original Palm OS....that definitely wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Exactly what I planned on saying. I think they will stick around and be a player in the market although as a smaller player.
    well exactly. Palm never said they wanted to be king. They never wanted to "compete with the Icrap". Jon said he felt there is room for 5 players in the market. Right now, that would be Apple, Android, WM, RIM and lastly... webOS.

All they need to do is stabilize the company.
    haha If helio could last like 3+ years with their cheap phones..i think palm will still be around for the tsunamis on 2012
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I agree with this. I also think that it could go where the Treos went later on as other Smartphones were developed. They weren't at the top, nor the bottom, they were one brand of many available.

Here's the good news. Although it seems to be happening late, that G-4 show labeled it 5 out of 5, they said they have never done that before. Another article put it at the Gadget of the year. It has gotten good reviews. The WebOS platform does multi-tasking in ways other phones don't. This could generate great buzz during 2010. And if they press release this new device and release it immediately following rather than having people wait months with no release date, it could certainly revitalize them. I don't think they will ever dominate, but they will definitely increase their marketshare.

If this new phone they will release does not meet or exceed projected numbers they put out there, I see them possibly licensing it out like they did the original Palm OS....that definitely wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Means less than zero to the man on the street, the only people who care about such things are technogeeks and we have already chosen our 'camps'.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    MAJOR banks disappeared.
    MAJOR retailers disappeared.
    Why would it be out of the question for a "niche" company to disappear too?
    Because Palms patents are worth more than the entire company. Acquiring Palm would make any handheld manufacturer bulletproof from litigation.

A buyout seems probable, but I think we're going to see Palm merge with a hardware manufacturer that needs a slick Mobile OS like RIM, HTC or Nintendo.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Because Palms patents are worth more than the entire company. Acquiring Palm would make any handheld manufacturer bulletproof from litigation.

A buyout seems probable, but I think we're going to see Palm merge with a hardware manufacturer that needs a slick Mobile OS like RIM, HTC or Nintendo.

And once they have the IPR what do they actually need WebOS or the Palm brand for? They can take the IPR and close down the company.

RIM - already developing it's own next generation OS, unlikely.

HTC - Android is free and supported by someone else, difficult to beat.

Nintendo - em.. yeah...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I don't have a doubt - they will be bought out. The Palm name will survive as will WebOS, its just someone else (HP?) will be investing and pulling the stings.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    well exactly. Palm never said they wanted to be king. They never wanted to "compete with the Icrap". Jon said he felt there is room for 5 players in the market. Right now, that would be Apple, Android, WM, RIM and lastly... webOS.

All they need to do is stabilize the company.
    While I'm sure Rubinstein and Co. had a long-term plan, I don't believe it involved sales declining quarter after quarter after quarter. I hope that whatever their long-term strategy WAS, it allowed for flexibility and course correction so that they could fix their lowly financials, sales, and mindshare as it stands now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast