Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this has been stated in one form or another before, but I want to make it loud and clear so Palm would take notice.

We need a new webOS device this summer, a brand new flagship device, not the Pre Plus Plus Plus... (ad infinitum) all over again.

All of us who bought the Pre from Sprint on launch day are eligible to get a new phone this June, and I bet most people would do it since the original Pre is cracking all over. Well, lo and behold, Sprint has the hTC EVO 4G staged to launch right at the time Pre launch customers are ready to get a new phone.

Palm, you need to launch a new phone this June to retain your launch customers. Go ahead and announce it less then a week before the EVO 4G launch, steal it's thunder!

I don't care about geek specs, I only want the following:
    1. A phone that will NOT crack after 6 months.
    2. A phone that doesn't reset randomly.
    3. A battery that isn't loose.
    and most importantly:
    4. webOS 2.0 should be as smooth as PalmOS 5.2 (not the NVFS crap of 5.4). If rewriting core apps, such as Calander and Phone, with the PDK makes it smooth, they should do it.
    Let's make a comparison here: iPhone, PalmOS are all written with some variant of C, the whole operation is smooth.
    Android, webOS are written in non-native languages (Java and HTML/css/Javascript), they are not as smooth (the Nexus One had random slowdowns even with Snapdragon on board).

There, I bet it's not too hard to fix.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Not every WebOS fan. I'm very happy with my phone as it is. Launch day Pre with no problems.
    not true ! We here at precentral only make up like maybe 1%,( if that) , of the webos community lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Great, another negative attitude. What the heck. Most of the issues come down to marketing and too many new products on the market at the same time. Palm has the BEST OS (WebOS) along with some great hardware. Sure there is an issue here and there and they ARE getting the kinks out. Palm has hinted at new hardware so..wait a bit.

As you stated
    "I know this has been stated in one form or another before, but I want to make it loud and clear so Palm would take notice."
    Two points here. It has been stated over and over. And they have taken notice from others. So I guess I miss your overall point.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I for one want new hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I know this has been stated in one form or another before, but I want to make it loud and clear so Palm would take notice.

We need a new webOS device this summer, a brand new flagship device, not the Pre Plus Plus Plus... (ad infinitum) all over again.

All of us who bought the Pre from Sprint on launch day are eligible to get a new phone this June, and I bet most people would do it since the original Pre is cracking all over. Well, lo and behold, Sprint has the hTC EVO 4G staged to launch right at the time Pre launch customers are ready to get a new phone.

Palm, you need to launch a new phone this June to retain your launch customers. Go ahead and announce it less then a week before the EVO 4G launch, steal it's thunder!

Agree 110%. I REALLY need Palm to gimme a reason to stick around. They longer Palm drags *ss around, the closer I am to the Evo or Nexus One.
    I don't care about geek specs, I only want the following:
    1. A phone that will NOT crack after 6 months.
    2. A phone that doesn't reset randomly.
    3. A battery that isn't loose.
    and most importantly:
    4. webOS 2.0 should be as smooth as PalmOS 5.2 (not the NVFS crap of 5.4). If rewriting core apps, such as Calander and Phone, with the PDK makes it smooth, they should do it.
    Let's make a comparison here: iPhone, PalmOS are all written with some variant of C, the whole operation is smooth.
    Android, webOS are written in non-native languages (Java and HTML/css/Javascript), they are not as smooth (the Nexus One had random slowdowns even with Snapdragon on board).

I agree 110%. The longer they drag it out, the closer I am to a Nexus One or the new Evo. PLEASE Palm, gimme a good reason to stick with WebOS.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post

Not hard to fix? Seems like you want Palm to re-write the whole OS for ya.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I for one want new hardware
    +1 with a huge screen. something of a screen that dwarfs the iphone.
    Pre has not even been out for 10 months and you want new hardware? Palm can't run life cycles like that.
    I am quite happy with mine. Only had it a month or so but luckily have a buddy who has had one since they came out showing me all the tips and tricks I need. Only thing I want is faster processing but that seems to be currently under resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    +1 with a huge screen. something of a screen that dwarfs the iphone.
    That might make it a bit of a pain to carry.

Unless you can get it to fold down like George Jetson's car does....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    That might make it a bit of a pain to carry.

Unless you can get it to fold down like George Jetson's car does....
    Now that would be cool. They do have folding screens now dont they?
    I dont know why people keep posting these.....Do you really think Palm doesnt know it needs to put out new hardware.

God, it hasnt been out even close to a year yet. Give em a break!
    I am not convinced that new hardware is the best answer for Palm's survival at this point. I actually think the Pixi, if anything, is what's going to help Palm through the hard times.

It is a known fact that Palm is short on funds right now. Creating new hardware with the best specs on the market takes a huge amount of resources. even if they did create a new piece of hardware, how long before a competitor comes along with a phone that trumps those specs? This is a race that only companies with deep pockets have any hope in competing in.

In my opinion, Palm's best approach is to get webOS in as many people's hands as possible. Let the average phone buyer discover the elegance of and ease of use of this great mobile OS. For the average phone buyer, price point is the biggest factor in their decision when purchasing new phones.

If the Pixi, or something like it, can sell for a modest price, it will allow Palm to move units and make some profit. Once webOS is as recognized as Android, for example, among the average consumer, and once Palm is in a more stable position, Palm will be in a better place to launch a new phone that will wow all the techno junkies.

I think we may have to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Pre has not even been out for 10 months and you want new hardware? Palm can't run life cycles like that.
    They don't have much choice. I don't think they can wait longer than 18 months from the launch of the Pre without releasing a new flagship device.
    Last edited by teej51685; 03/24/2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Clarified my point.
    at the point, palm cannot simply match the competition if they are making a new flagship device. They did that with the pre and it didn't work out too well for them. They need to create the hype and perception and out do their competition.

personally, I'd hold out on a phone release until septemberish, see what the summer crowd brings in and then top them. Meanwhile, get the pre in other markets, noticeably china. Get the plus devices on sprint as well.

they can't match he competition, they have to out do them. Patience is key, but who knows if they have the cash and time to wait it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    not true ! We here at precentral only make up like maybe 1%,( if that) , of the webos community lol
    I would have to disagree, we are the webos community, we may not be the entire customer base but this is the community for WebOS users.
    Well I love the Webos, but the Pre hardware sucks! Regardless of the updates, if my phone cracks simply by dropping it two feet to a carpeted floor, that suggest a problem. If I HAVE to get a skin, just to keep the phone intact, that suggest a problem. I love the Webos, the multi-tasking, but that HTC is a BEAST, and I'm a premier customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe4food View Post
    Well I love the Webos, but the Pre hardware sucks! Regardless of the updates, if my phone cracks simply by dropping it two feet to a carpeted floor, that suggest a problem. If I HAVE to get a skin, just to keep the phone intact, that suggest a problem. I love the Webos, the multi-tasking, but that HTC is a BEAST, and I'm a premier customer.
    Let me know how if fairs the first time you drop it

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I've dropped mine more than a couple of times. I don't have any cracks to show for it.

On the flip side. I think thats part of the problem. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency with the build quality. While I think the vast majority of Palm WebOS phone owners have devices that are very good in quality there does seem to be a sizable minority who have some serious issues. I have read on here where people have had upto 5 replacements. Thats just not acceptable. Palm needs to redesign the slider mechanism and use stronger materials for the casing.

I disagree that the reason people don't like the pre is because of the screen size. I love it exactly for its size. I hate the candy bar form factor and more so when its the size of a netbook sitting in my pocket. I want my smartphone to feel like a phone in my pocket. I would like to see a larger design Palm phone in the future with bigger dimensional specs for all those who want it. (I wouldn't get it but thats my preference). I also would like to see a survey of potential smartphone buyers and see what form factor they would prefer.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast