Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You make it sound like HP(Palm) is leading the innovation of handheld devices. News flash: They're not. HP(Palm) only wishes they could lead in hardware specs, like the Android ones already coming out for next year.
    Sure palm didn't but Hpalm probably will be on the cutting edge.

IPS display according to Nitroxys.. though they are in low supply.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    You make it sound like HP(Palm) is leading the innovation of handheld devices. News flash: They're not. HP(Palm) only wishes they could lead in hardware specs, like the Android ones already coming out for next year.
    No what I'm saying is that it's not wise to give the competition several months to react to a product before it is even for sale. It doesn't matter if a company is leading innovation or not. There's nothing special about Android that makes it a leader in hardware specs other than there are several companies using it for their devices instead. With some exceptions, all the handset manufacturers can buy from the same component manufacturers and what they use depends on their product development cycle, the time line for when it produced, cost, marketing, the contract manufacturer chosen to build the device, etc. Android (Symbian and what ever MSFT calls their current mobile OS) have multiple companies creating competing designs vs one company for iOS, one for Blackberry, and one for webOS. If you have mobile phone ADHD, then it's probably the platform for you and the device manufacturers will love to drain your wallet.

HP has certainly has the resources to design and build a bleeding edge phone if they choose to do so. I really doubt that they're going to adjust their project schedules due to some whining from some impatient individuals who want a new toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I know this has been stated in one form or another before, but I want to make it loud and clear so Palm would take notice.

We need a new webOS device this summer, a brand new flagship device, not the Pre Plus Plus Plus... (ad infinitum) all over again.

All of us who bought the Pre from Sprint on launch day are eligible to get a new phone this June, and I bet most people would do it since the original Pre is cracking all over. Well, lo and behold, Sprint has the hTC EVO 4G staged to launch right at the time Pre launch customers are ready to get a new phone.

Palm, you need to launch a new phone this June to retain your launch customers. Go ahead and announce it less then a week before the EVO 4G launch, steal it's thunder!

I don't care about geek specs, I only want the following:
    1. A phone that will NOT crack after 6 months.
    2. A phone that doesn't reset randomly.
    3. A battery that isn't loose.
    and most importantly:
    4. webOS 2.0 should be as smooth as PalmOS 5.2 (not the NVFS crap of 5.4). If rewriting core apps, such as Calander and Phone, with the PDK makes it smooth, they should do it.
    Let's make a comparison here: iPhone, PalmOS are all written with some variant of C, the whole operation is smooth.
    Android, webOS are written in non-native languages (Java and HTML/css/Javascript), they are not as smooth (the Nexus One had random slowdowns even with Snapdragon on board).

There, I bet it's not too hard to fix.
    speak the truth my brotha!

Creepy chick as per request.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    No what I'm saying is that it's not wise to give the competition several months to react to a product before it is even for sale. It doesn't matter if a company is leading innovation or not. There's nothing special about Android that makes it a leader in hardware specs other than there are several companies using it for their devices instead. With some exceptions, all the handset manufacturers can buy from the same component manufacturers and what they use depends on their product development cycle, the time line for when it produced, cost, marketing, the contract manufacturer chosen to build the device, etc. Android (Symbian and what ever MSFT calls their current mobile OS) have multiple companies creating competing designs vs one company for iOS, one for Blackberry, and one for webOS. If you have mobile phone ADHD, then it's probably the platform for you and the device manufacturers will love to drain your wallet.

HP has certainly has the resources to design and build a bleeding edge phone if they choose to do so. I really doubt that they're going to adjust their project schedules due to some whining from some impatient individuals who want a new toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    too bad there will be no new hardware coming out. The writing is on the wall, HP wants webOS for tablets and printers. If there was a new phone coming out in the near future it would've been leaked.....but there isn't.
    Yeah, the "writing on the wall", except that writing can only be "read" by Palm detractors. HP has stated, a number of times, that there will be new phone hardware.
    I know, I know, sometimes the actual writing is harder to "read" than the "writing on the wall" ... for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post

Seriously?

You think HP should only be concerned about getting new hardware to market because people here are impatient for it?

What about...because this platform is at a standstill in terms of mindshare and major developer momentum/growth?
    What about...because having regular release cycles instills confidence in customers who have gotten used to being able to count on significant upgrades for their iPhones and Android devices?
    What about...because the market is moving on and the longer you lack parity, the harder it is to achieve it?
    What about...because several competitors besides iPhone and Android are making renewed pushes in this space, and not getting ahead of them (e.g. two weeks before iPhone 3GS hit, arriving on Verizon a few months after Droid) had a negative impact on the Pre's success the first time around?

You say it's not wise to give the competition several months to react to a product. It is also not wise to give them several months of uncontested opportunities to grab the customers you need to sign up for your products. While the market is growing, it's not growing that much that there's an unlimited supply of customers looking to buy smartphones in the forseeable future. The meteoric sales of iPhone 4 happened because the vast, vast majority of people who previously owned one wanted the new hotness, not because it's grabbed an avalanche of new customers. AT&T has a device that's more popular than every Verizon Android phone put together, yet Verizon is growing at a faster rate and already has more customers. What does that tell you?

I understand HP wanting to relaunch from scratch and start with a clean slate. Good idea. But there's nothing wrong with leaking rumors, images, and specs. If Apple, HTC, Samsung, Motorola and RIM see that there's a new WebOS device with a 1ghz OMAP processor, 4-inch screen and blah, blah, blah specs imminent, how exactly do you think they're going to "react" to it? Who "reacted" to the Pre or Pixi in any shape, form, or fashion the first time around? Their hardware plans for the next 12-18 months are baked into the cake. No WebOS device device is going to make a competitor already eating Palm's lunch go back to the drawing board. I doubt they'd even blink.
    All I can say is if there is no handset worth my attention and money at the time of my next available upgrade, I'll jump ship to an Android device. They have until March to keep me loyal. That's enough time, right?

The thought of a WebOS tablet is exciting and a version 2.0 4G handset equally so...
    HP
    Let us peek behind the curtain!
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I love my palm pre.. I would love to see another webos device, but if it doesn't look like something I want-I'm sticking with my beloved pre. :-)
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I am one of the people who is mostly pleased with my original launch Pre. However, I also love new toys. While I really don't want to have to learn a new OS, I have my eyes on the Samsung Epic right now. The only thing that will keep me from it is if Palm/Sprint springs something soon. I don't know how "soon" that is for me but it's within a couple of months. Like someone said in another post, my upgrade is burning a hole in my pocket.
    Last edited by SROJR; 08/10/2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SROJR View Post
    .... Like someone said in another post, my upgrade is burning a whole in my pocket.
    I went for almost 2 years with no contract waiting to replace my Palm 700wx with the Pre. The day it came out I was in line. I only hope I don't have to wait that long again.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Engadget says the HP tablet coming out Q1 2011

That's a long way off - after the holidays and will probably coincide with the 2nd gen iPad.
    Probably won't see nextgen WebOS software and hardware until then too. After all, the tablet needs to have a new optimized version of WebOS to launch with, right?

They're basically letting everybody beat them to market with both tablets (e.g. RIM's BlackPad, Samsung Tab, Motorola/Fios/Verizon Android tablet with Gingerbread - all due to ship by the end of 2010) and smartphones (e.g. Droid Pro, entire Windows Phone 7 launch).

Oh, and it's likely the iPhone will be elsewhere by then as well. Zoinks.
    Well...here's the other rub. This is probably going to be "launched"/announced at CES 2011, along with a kazillion other similar products. Problem is, Verizon and Apple (and maybe even Sprint) will have sold a **** ton of tablets by then.
    Thats a truly ridicules statement. The Pre WAS leading in hardware specs when it came out (same as 3gs only with a higher DPI screen). It had the same internal specs as the Droid, which came out 5 months after. HP/Palm will face many challenges, but producing a spec'd out phone is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Thats a truly ridicules statement. The Pre WAS leading in hardware specs when it came out (same as 3gs only with a higher DPI screen). It had the same internal specs as the Droid, which came out 5 months after. HP/Palm will face many challenges, but producing a spec'd out phone is not one of them.
    To be fair, that's not true anywhere except America, and even there....just barely. In the rest of the world, the 4.1-inch screen, 800x480 resolution, 1ghz Snapdragon-sporting Toshiba TG01 Windows Mobile handset hit the same time the Pre did. While the 3GS came out with a lower DPI, it had a processor clocked faster, a better GPU, and a larger screen, in addition to more storage, better camera, compass, etc......and it got all of this to market less than a month after the Pre launched.

Neither Palm nor HP has ever produced a smartphone that "led the way" in terms of design, specs, or any other hardware aspects.
    No one gives a rat *** about hard specs when your software obviously needs more powerful specs to drive your phone efficiently.

This is why Apple doesn't talk specs...they just show a ******* phone that works.
    Do you guys ever look at anything objectively? I do all the time and it makes arguing with you guys useless.
    Do you guys ever look at anything objectively? I do all the time and it makes arguing with you guys useless.
    Do you know some people may feel the same about you when trying to have a discussion with you on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Do you know some people may feel the same about you when trying to have a discussion with you on here?
    thats impossible.

Thats voodoo.... one bad mutha f......

now koolkid...drop the keyboard and walk away... and no one gets hurt.

ohh yeah. HP Palm will release a webos phone.

cherrio
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast