Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by jramirex View Post
    I would get an Android over a WebOS if it had any decent 3d games. From what I can tell Android games are just like Win Mobile games, they look like crap... total waste of cpu/gpu/gorgeous screen. We will be able to play the same quality games on the Pre once Adobe releases Flash. If you think 3d games on phones don't matter well you should ask Sony how do they feel about a phone/mp3 player is kicking the crap out of their Game/Multimedia portable.
    Watch this video (has an excellent demo of 3D game running on the Evo)...

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Pretty sick looking hardware.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I agree with Maxima. Without webos this phone is just for people who wanna be able to say that their phone is better than yours. I'll wait for another device with webos that runs similar specs and i'll be happier than anybody carrying around an evo.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsoldier View Post
    I agree with Maxima. Without webos this phone is just for people who wanna be able to say that their phone is better than yours. I'll wait for another device with webos that runs similar specs and i'll be happier than anybody carrying around an evo.
    Some of you guys (and gals) are a bit like Apple fans. There are plenty CREDIBLE needs that the evo fills for people. 720P video recording, better Google service integration, great browsing experience, FM radio. I don't really understand the hating going on...lol. webOS is probably a great OS (I don't know haven't used it) but it causes some of its users to lose all ability to apply logic to certain situations (proof: the Palm Pre forum).
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Some of you guys (and gals) are a bit like Apple fans. There are plenty CREDIBLE needs that the evo fills for people. 720P video recording, better Google service integration, great browsing experience, FM radio. I don't really understand the hating going on...lol. webOS is probably a great OS (I don't know haven't used it) but it causes some of its users to lose all ability to apply logic to certain situations (proof: the Palm Pre forum).
    FM radio REALLY?! Tbh, i've been sorta craving that. But yea, I love WebOS and its definitely made my life more productive, but I'm goin for a bigger screen since surfing the web on the small screen isn't sitting with me. And Google Voice integration is definitely up there since I use it for voicemails and such.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Evo has a FM radio? Where does it list that?

Anyways, I would get a next gen device from Palm if they were working on one, but I doubt they are. I think all that we will see on Sprint after the 1 year mark is the Pre Plus. I love WebOS but I am not sure how much longer Palm can stick around, much less innovate and compete. I just don't think they can bring a top end device in the next couple months. And it would have to be a top end device with GREAT build quality. My Pre is cracking from the usb port through no fault of mine and they won't replace it. I was a die hard fan of WebOS and have hacked it and sold others on it. It just makes me mad when companies release iPhone apps, then Android apps, and then maybe Blackberry apps. They don't care about WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jramirex View Post
    I would get an Android over a WebOS if it had any decent 3d games.
    Well Asphalt 5 is available on the Droid and from what I've read it looks just like the iPhone/Pre version. So it is possible, but I think the bigger problem is with most Android devices having limited memory to store applications. This is one of my big issues with Android (besides Google itself, which is another post entirely), thier DRM scheme for protecting purchased applications limits apps to the onboard memory, but most Android devices only have 512M or 256M of storage. The Evo has a 1GB but that still seems limiting. I love the fact that the Evo has microSD but Android needs to work out the app issue so you can take advantage of it.

Android also doesn't work as well with Exchange (i.e. 2.1 still doesn't sync Exchange calendar info, and yeah I know I can push to gCalendar first and then get it from there, but I don't want to and it just adds another failure point). webOS 1.4's ability to search my corporate Exchange address book is awesome.

My other concern is how Sense UI plays with the Android OS; I had a Touch Pro running Win 6.1 and you could change the shell out easily enough (which I did at one point). Win Mobile wasn't really evolving so I wasn't worried about updating the OS, but Android (like webOS) is changing rapidly and I don't want to get locked on a phone that needs the manufacturer to "tweak" each OS release prior to it hitting my phone. That's one of the great advantages of webOS, you get the updates and new features as they come out (on Sprint, anyway ).

So here's hoping Palm gets with HTC to put webOS on the Evo/Touch HD hardware, because that for me would be the perfect phone. Othewise, if some of these Android issues get worked out between now and "summer", I will be giving the Evo a serious look. I live in Chicago and we have 4G here, and that giant screen would be easy on my 46 year old eyes
    JT
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    What is it exactly that Web OS does that none of these other phones come close to doing adequately? Yes, it's certainly better. But you're fooling yourself to think that if it's not Web OS, it's all garbage.

For people with Google running their lives (too many), an Android phone solves most of their problems, especially if you can deal with a few force quit messages daily, many of which mean nothing consequential. If your priority is 3d gaming then I think you're missing the point of why most people by smartphones - gaming is not the #1 criteria... and android will have plenty of those shortly.

I think Android is one very clunky interface but it's certainly not totally unusable. The real thing that pains me is that there is no app development for Web OS and a few gems trickle in every month. There are lots of useful Android apps already out there... no Microsoft Office Doc editing at this late date? You kidding me? Unless this changes, Web OS has a serious hurdle.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The link kinda gives it away, but this is a great read.

4G in America: Lies, Lies, and More Damn Lies
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The next few months are going to be critical for Palm. Just look at the response here! A forum full of WebOS fans with more than half contemplating jumping ship. There is no question that WebOS is far superior to Android as an operating system. Unfortunately, they need to release a home run superphone. Nothing less will do. The Pre came out 2-3 months too late, so the fantastic lead it had in concept died. Releasing the phone days before an iPhone update hurt them in monumental ways, and the Android/Google drool-fest wasn't far off. Yes, there is plenty of room in the market for WebOS, and you don't have to be #1 to make money. Unfortunately, Palm's finances suck. If that wasn't an issue, Palm would still have a bright future ahead. Also, Palm hasn't had a history of releasing totally mind-blowing hardware. The Pre and Pixi are good, but there have been enough quirks with the Pre that people have noticed and it gave yet another sticking point for all the pundants to point to. Given all of this, it may take pushing WebOS off to another hardware manufacturer to keep it alive and kicking. They could suprise us though (and I hope they do).

With the announcement of the Evo 4G, WiMAX/LTE support is going to rapidly become a must-have on a phone, even if it's not in many markets yet. To hit a home run, it's going to be a MUST. The Evo 4G is going to be Sprint's first 4G phone. I fear that the release of a new phone after the Evo 4G (July/August/September) may be too late for Palm to capture people's attention, let alone have them wait until LTE comes out. Palm could do well if it released as Verizon's first LTE phone, but Verizon hasn't shown any interest in pimping Palm, so that's a long shot.

Personally, if Palm came out with a 4G Sprint phone soon with specs close to the Evo 4G, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I'll probably end up with Android.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post

Or how about this....
    the sorry *** Sprint network.
    I think some of you people would buy it if it was on T-Mobile!!!

Dont you people sign contracts with companies and keep the phone for 2 years?
    That sorry *** Sprint network has the lowest rates, the ONLY 4G network on the planet, and I can upgrade my phone EVERY YEAR.

Hopefully my upgrade, due in December, will be to a new 4G WebOs phone.
    It'll work great in Texas where almost every major city is already 4G.
    The evo is definitely a winner. and it does have fm radio built in.
    If palm drags it's feet on releasing some new and similar hardware they definitely would lose at least one loyal follower.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurrens View Post
    It'll work great in Texas where almost every major city is already 4G.
    Just one more reason why Texas is awesome
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edroberts View Post
    The next few months are going to be critical for Palm.
    You're kidding, right? That's what many of us said months ago. Right now it's beyond critical and they are at "balls flat against the wall" time.
    I don't think they are quite there yet. But Palm has until the start of June to do/announce something. At the start of June, their first wave of buyers are going to be getting ready to upgrade and if the EVO is landing about you may have a lot of day one Pre users jumping ship.

I can say this though, if no significant, new hardware comes out of Palm in the next few months, they will be putting up a for sale sign. Hell, I would be trying to get myself bought at this point while they still have some cash. HTC would be at the top of my list for people to court too.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I think that Palm should just focus on beefing up the guts of the Pre. The design and form factor of the Pre are awesome, its what first attracted me to the phone. Plus, Palm's pocket isn't as deep as Google or Apple, so why spend the money to completely redesign it? Like I said, Palm just needs to upgrade the current design.

* 4G radio (of course dual 3G/4G). The capabilities of the apps beg for it. Plus, the EVO has it. Palm cannot let that be a selling point of the EVO over the Pre. Just look at how many people are ready to jump ship just for 4G speed? (even myself a little bit!)

* More storage, at least 16GB if not 32GB. Remember, Palm needs to compete, and this is a tangible aspect that is easy to compare phones on.

* More durable hardware. I am on my fifth Pre. The hardware quality is a joke. Thank God Sprint honors the “manufacturer's warranty”.

* Better battery life. Make the battery SLIGHTLY thicker, make a new back cover, and you can give user a few more hours more run time for maybe 1 or 2 mm gain in thickness. My Pre often dies in the late afternoon; just a few more hours run time would be perfect and totally worth an almost unnoticeable thickness gain.

* Faster processor. Once again, Palm needs to compete. Get a snapdragon or an OMAP4. Just look at how much smoother the whole webOS experience is for the people running the 800MHz kernel.

* Better keyboard. Pre users, have you typed on a Pixi keyboard? Other than being cramped, it is awesome. Make the new keyboard click like the Pixi's, but still have the Pre layout and spacing.

Other than that, everything else the EVO has seems like gimmicks to me. All nice gimmicks mind you, but still not necessary. If Palm beefed up the Pre with my suggestions (Pre2?), nothing else that the EVO has would make me get rid of webOS. I think that making these changes would be possible with minimal development time. All the components exist, just put them together.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345