Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's not dead, so why write its epitaph?
    IMHO it is a great article.
    Palm's not dead, so why write its epitaph? | Betanews
    Thanks for the link! Just started reading, but this part is so true:

Wall Street's vultures are circling over Palm, screeching for its death. Tech pundits are joining the death watch, in one of the more morbid displays of graveyard tech journalism ever. As I've asserted repeatedly, in business perception is everything. The Palm death watch creates negative perceptions about the company and its future that will drive away customers and investors. Palm doesn't have to die, but death may be its future as pundits' self-fulfilling prophecies.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Palm's not dead, they're only mostly dead!

(obligatory Princess Bride ref)
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting this. I agree with the authors last statement, the writers of these blogs and journals should man or woman up and provide a disclosure statement. Betanews seems pretty objective. I also also glad to see someone else agree that palm is the best OS. He also made some nice points on sell through. I did disagree with his thoughts on marketing. Palm could've done a much better job in this area.
  5.    #5  
    I really expect all these tech pundits that he is refering to, read this article, and stop making these self-fulfilling prophecies and buy a Pre phone to feel how the webos works.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I really expect all these tech pundits that he is refering to, read this article, and stop making these self-fulfilling prophecies and buy a Pre phone to feel how the webos works.
    Nobody is saying that Web OS isn't great. You're probably too young to remember VHS vs. Betamax. The problem is "who cares?" while Palm is quickly running out of cash. Last quarter's earnings and warnings about this quarter make the prophecy a likely scenario. So here is what you need to do. Provide answers as to what Palm can do in the next 9 months to (a) slow down the cash burn considerably, and (b) move to profitability by some time next year.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Nobody is saying that Web OS isn't great. You're probably too young to remember VHS vs. Betamax. The problem is "who cares?" while Palm is quickly running out of cash. Last quarter's earnings and warnings about this quarter make the prophecy a likely scenario. So here is what you need to do. Provide answers as to what Palm can do in the next 9 months to (a) slow down the cash burn considerably, and (b) move to profitability by some time next year.
    There are new 3 carriers already announced:

SFR France for an April launch
    China Telecom for July
    AT&T soon, maybe in 2 months or less.????

All is about sales. Palm have about 552.000 units left in inventory.Those launches will clear out those units and new sales will boost up for sure.

More carriers in other big countries like India.

Palm products with those 3 new carriers will be in 9 countries with 9 carriers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

China Telecom for July

All is about sales. Palm have about 552.000 units left in inventory.Those launches will clear out those units and new sales will boost up for sure.

No..no..no.. those phones are in sales channels not with palm, that's why stock price tanked.
    Palm's not dead, so why write its epitaph?
    IMHO it is a great article.
    Palm's not dead, so why write its epitaph? | Betanews
    Because epitaphs are fun to write. Even just the word epitaph. Epitaph. See? Can't deny that that is a fun word.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    Palm's not dead, they're only mostly dead!

(obligatory Princess Bride ref)
    Where is Miracle Max when we need him most?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No..no..no.. those phones are in sales channels not with palm, that's why stock price tanked.
    As I maintain I'd love to see a breakdown by carrier of those units, but those numbers would never be available.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    As I maintain I'd love to see a breakdown by carrier of those units, but those numbers would never be available.
    Indeed, everything I can dig up indicates that in my home market (the UK), the Palm Pre has absolutely tanked on 02 but without access to the numbers I can't confirm it.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thanks akitayo. unfortunately that is the way wall st. operates. Most folks have no idea about mobile business (they do not have any idea about anything except for balance sheet , revenues). They probably wanted PALM to be next Apple. Guess what it is not. They took their money back. Fair deal. The new breed of techno journos/ bloggers are everywhere who picks a story , find replace few words publish it. By no means PALM is doing great, but it is not bankrupt yet.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

China Telecom for July

I am disappointed at Palm for not selling the Pre in Russia,India,Brazil. Why not release an unlocked version.
    GO PALM GO

They will bounce back forsure

. Probably have another 10 carriers to launch, then a new device for christmas or shortly after is my guess.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I read the Engadget, Gizmodo, and Ars articles on the Palm situation. The Giz article was trash...but the authors of the Engadget and Ars article were both WebOS users at one point and gave the OS pretty high marks from what I can remember.

I think it all comes down to the method in which Palm is being run as the fault of their failures and the hardware.
    Palm's Stock was beaten down for a buyout. They will take a good offer now that they see they are little fish in a little pond with big sharks circling (Google, Apple, MS). I love my Pre but more so love WebOS, but lately have seen alot of bugs they are starting to rush things too much they are desperate and that is dangerous. I'm still rooting for Palm to pull this one out but it doesn't look good.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is that is the case, carriers have to find the way to clear the inventory, and by the other way Palm have to be carefull for every release on carriers worldwide going simultaneous with everything concerning to the:

Product software and hardware, well finished,

Price for all the masses,

Place: BIG markets,BIG cities,

and Promotion :good advertise , bus, trains, flyers, TV, Radio, newspapers, stadium , BIG events, on line, carriers sales force best training etc

all at the same time.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am disappointed at Palm for not selling the Pre in Russia,India,Brazil. Why not release an unlocked version.
    an unlocked version will come after a few months on AT&T

Russia, India, Brazil are BIG markets

In Brazil are running some Pre in the wild but cost more than $1.000
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Place: BIG markets,BIG cities,

and Promotion :good advertise , bus, trains, flyers, TV, Radio, newspapers, stadium , BIG events, on line, carriers sales force best training etc

all at the same time.
    There were Palm ads all over the MARTA stations here in Atlanta. And I mean all over. Every station and walls full of ads. Good ads at that. Showing some of the unique features of webOS. I was happy to see this. None of them were tied to any carrier and that's good, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast