Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    TWIT talked in their latest episode about Palm's earnings report. They were absolutely brutal, and seemed to enjoy piling on. For awhile, they even talked about the Pre in the past-tense: "The Pre was... the Pre had... the Pre did..." It's as if they think Palm, the Pre, and webOS not only no longer exist, but never offered anything of value.

    Smug *******s. And, their points were largely quite ludicrous, uninformed, and indicative of their pathetic herd mentality. I fear that tech journalism is on its deathbed.

    Okay, rant over.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I fear that tech journalism is on its deathbed.
    No, just Palm.

    Seriously, I understand optimism and hoping against hope but people aren't saying this for no reason.
  3. #3  
    It's interesting reading about the partnerships Palm is picking up at the same time that analysts are forecasting the death of the company. For a company so down on it's luck, they seem to be doing a LOT right:

    Palm just announced they will be with AT&T and China Telecom. Big in Japan is writing software for the WebOS platform. Major game studios are thrilled with the PDK and ease of portability. The new ad campaign is well-received.

    I wouldn't count Palm down and out yet.
    Last edited by lucidchaos; 03/22/2010 at 09:57 PM.
  4. #4  
    i came to the conclusion that our own ppl here in america hates palm....is like they dont want to post none of the good stuff webos has, only the bad like on purpose instead of helping their own they destroy
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, just Palm.

    Seriously, I understand optimism and hoping against hope but people aren't saying this for no reason.
    Did you read my post? There was absolutely nothing objective about what they were saying.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Did you read my post? There was absolutely nothing objective about what they were saying.
    No, I read it. I just disagree. With Palm reaching a new level of irrelevance in the smartphone market, I don't think it's inaccurate to refer to the Pre in the past tense.
  7. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #7  
    Twit? Guess I'm glad I don't know about some guys being smug about 1000 people losing their job..
  8. #8  
    Palm just needs to find it's niche. As it stands:

    Iphone: For those who need to have the post popular thing on the market, and real easy access to the internet.

    Blackberry: For those who get a barrage of emails they must keep up with and use the web as a secondary, less important feature.

    Android: For those who don't mind a steeper learning curve and want to be able to customize the phone without as many limitations.

    Palm: For those who want multitasking in an easy to use system.

    Now, if you ask someone which of those options is right for them, see how many choose Palm.
  9.    #9  
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. Sayo's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidchaos View Post
    Palm just needs to find it's niche. As it stands:

    Iphone: For those who need to have the post popular thing on the market, and real easy access to the internet.

    Blackberry: For those who get a barrage of emails they must keep up with and use the web as a secondary, less important feature.

    Android: For those who don't mind a steeper learning curve and want to be able to customize the phone without as many limitations.

    Palm: For those who want multitasking in an easy to use system.

    Now, if you ask someone which of those options is right for them, see how many choose Palm.
    The problem is that, in my experience, those niches really aren't necessarily important to the success of a device. Success comes when the shapeless masses decide to take up your banner.

    Yes, Android's niche was with certain types of tech enthusiasts. But, Android became hugely popular due to Verizon's heavy marketing of the Droid as their top-tier, hip, ultra-premium player for those disenchanted with the current iPhone "me-too" saturation. It didn't hurt that the device itself wasn't terrible.

    Blackberrys are great little work phones, but their OS is completely non-ideal for most general consumers. It's still wildly popular, however, because the OS is snappy, and the phones themselves are trendy. Sure, they have a niche in people deluged in emails, but I don't believe that's their main consumer market.

    Palm needs to get the Pre and Pixi onto AT&T and T-Mobile, then around July-August release a new device exclusive to Verizon for 6 months. Assure Verizon of a sweetheart deal so that they will market Palm's new device to their large subscriber base as their new top-tier just as the Droid becomes irrelevant. If customer X is on Verizon, they'll get the new device, but Palm should also see a large general increase in WebOS sales spread over all carriers due to increased awareness (which, let's face it, is exactly what Palm needs).

    Even is Palm sells their new device to verizon at cost, they'll still make money on their mid-tier products, and they'll have finally broken into the game. Palm needs to penetrate consumer mind-share. This is how they can do that.
    Last edited by Sayo; 03/22/2010 at 11:07 PM.
  11. #11  
    Leo Laporte is a tool. He has avoided saying anything about Palm for months. Oh well I'm glad I stopped listening to him a long time ago. He is not a journalist and never was.

    To the dev of Dr. Podder, please please remove TWIT from the default podcasts that come with your absolutely wonderful app. Leo doesn't deserve that honor.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Leo Laporte is a tool. He has avoided saying anything about Palm for months. Oh well I'm glad I stopped listening to him a long time ago. He is not a journalist and never was.

    To the dev of Dr. Podder, please please remove TWIT from the default podcasts that come with your absolutely wonderful app. Leo doesn't deserve that honor.
    I second that request.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13.    #13  
    This article says it better than I did: Palm's not dead, so why write its epitaph? | Betanews

    Wall Street's vultures are circling over Palm, screeching for its death. Tech pundits are joining the death watch, in one of the more morbid displays of graveyard tech journalism ever. As I've asserted repeatedly, in business perception is everything. The Palm death watch creates negative perceptions about the company and its future that will drive away customers and investors. Palm doesn't have to die, but death may be its future as pundits' self-fulfilling prophecies.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Smug *******s. And, their points were largely quite ludicrous, uninformed, and indicative of their pathetic herd mentality. I fear that tech journalism is on its deathbed.
    TWIT isn't journalism, its entertainment. So relax. There are many better sources for reading more accurate brutal coverage of Palm self inflicted fall from media underdog to bumbling buffoons.
  15. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #15  
    You guys are missing the point. You can all stick your fingers in your ears and think happy thoughts. You can talk about long term strategies, the great things that will happen in the future, etc.

    But here's the problem. Palm has more inventory than an overpriced condo village in Florida. They are now trying to sell a phone that had problems selling this past quarter in the same market when there were new introductions that easily exceed the Pre's specs and also are a much easier sell, e.g. "and Android has over 25,000 applications including all of these..."

    At the present burn rate, Palm won't be around in 9 months. Given the lack of demand and excess inventory, Palm may be in for an even more brutal quarter than the last. So talk all you want, but unless someone comes up with a plan quickly and a ####load of cash, Palm is in serious danger of going out. Until now I've heard only solutions that will take at least a year to start implementing - and by that time you'll have the new iPhone, Windows Mobile 7, the new touchscreen/keyboard blackberry and lord knows what other Android device. That's why these guys have such a dim vision of Palm and are counting the days.
  16. Sayo's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    You guys are missing the point. You can all stick your fingers in your ears and think happy thoughts. You can talk about long term strategies, the great things that will happen in the future, etc.

    But here's the problem. Palm has more inventory than an overpriced condo village in Florida. They are now trying to sell a phone that had problems selling this past quarter in the same market when there were new introductions that easily exceed the Pre's specs and also are a much easier sell, e.g. "and Android has over 25,000 applications including all of these..."

    At the present burn rate, Palm won't be around in 9 months. Given the lack of demand and excess inventory, Palm may be in for an even more brutal quarter than the last. So talk all you want, but unless someone comes up with a plan quickly and a ####load of cash, Palm is in serious danger of going out. Until now I've heard only solutions that will take at least a year to start implementing - and by that time you'll have the new iPhone, Windows Mobile 7, the new touchscreen/keyboard blackberry and lord knows what other Android device. That's why these guys have such a dim vision of Palm and are counting the days.
    1. My above solution is legitimate and, in my opinion, the likely course Palm will take. Palm has a new device in some (hopefully end) stage of development, and they should ideally work out a sweetheart exclusivity deal to get early ad traction. You seem to want to assume they have nothing in the works at this stage.

    2. At a reasonably accelerated burn rate, Palm has about 14 months of cash on hand.

    Yes, some here on the forum are obviously wearing rose-tinted glasses, but Palm is not dead yet. Your exaggerations only further panic the masses and ultimately hurt Palm's chances. Let's all just be reasonable.
  17. #18  
    @Untidy Those idiots can add his podcast to Dr. Podder themselves. I don't think he his drivel should be honored in an app we all love here on PC.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    @Untidy Those idiots can add his podcast to Dr. Podder themselves. I don't think he his drivel should be honored in an app we all love here on PC.
    Yeah people who say things that upset us should be silenced and shunned!
  19. Sayo's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yeah people who say things that upset us should be silenced and shunned!
    Blue: Shun the non-believer.
    Pink: Shhhunnn.
    Blue: Shhhhhuunnnnnnn.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions