1.    #1  
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    But the Palm OS does not know how to manage multiple tasks. So while Handspring has done the right thing by making the telephone supersede any other function, it would work even better--and be the real exemplar of convergence--if you could have your e-mail collected while you are on the phone rather than having to do one thing after the other. So Handspring really needs a new operating system, either from Palm or from another company.
    Is that guy really that ignorant? The OS has nothing to do with whether data can be retrieved and a call can be made simultaneously. In fact, other than a DSL line, I don't know of any technology that WILL allow that, let alone a wireless technology. He implies that if Handspring were making a PPc version of the Treo, that it COULD do both at once.

A warped sense of the capabilities of multi-tasking is the last thing Handspring needs to be writing reviews on their products. Someone get that guy a white paper!

Sheesh.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Now reading an e-book in Palm Reader and checking your e-mail at the same time would be nice. I enjoyed that on my Ipaq. But folks, I love my Treo and really don't miss multi-tasking at all. Shoot I'm even happy still with my B/W 180k and don't quite understand the mad rush by some to upgrade to the 270.

Contented and.... productive!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Me too!
    Me too !
    i'd like to be able to see the keypad at night, and have a larger battery
    Originally posted by riverbruce
    Shoot I'm even happy still with my B/W 180k and don't quite understand the mad rush by some to upgrade to the 270.
    Now Bruce... don't go messing with my latest gadgetry obsession! Why there must be a million reasons I MUST have the the 270.

In an effort to keep bandwidth healthy I will not post them all.

(just a peak into what it takes to be me)

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    Is that guy really that ignorant? The OS has nothing to do with whether data can be retrieved and a call can be made simultaneously. In fact, other than a DSL line, I don't know of any technology that WILL allow that, let alone a wireless technology.
    You _could_ use GSM and GPRS at the same time for making a phone call while downloading data, given support by the operator AND the wireless module AND the operating system.

He implies that if Handspring were making a PPc version of the Treo, that it COULD do both at once.
    Well, not neccesarily. Palm OS 5 will support multitasking. (Not that I think that this is a good idea...)
    This is true but this would be a connectivity/network issue, not a Palm OS issue as the reviewer is suggesting.

Originally posted by PuDerBaer

You _could_ use GSM and GPRS at the same time for making a phone call while downloading data, given support by the operator AND the wireless module AND the operating system.

Well, not neccesarily. Palm OS 5 will support multitasking. (Not that I think that this is a good idea...)
    you can't talk while your downloading with gprs, the way it works is by sending data in packets. instead of being online for an hour, your only actually online while data is being sent and received in small packets, during which you cannot receive or make calls. as soon as the data is received and your reading your material, you can receive calls or go to your dialing screen and make calls. your browser will stay on the site your at waiting to send and receive the next packet.

just so you know