View Poll Results: What company will step in and buy PALM?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • DELL

3 3.90%
  • HP

8 10.39%
  • HTC

12 15.58%
  • APPLE

0 0%
  • MICROSOFT

0 0%
  • GOOGLE

7 9.09%
  • NOKIA

9 11.69%
  • MOTOROLA

2 2.60%
  • RIMM

6 7.79%
  • NO ONE

30 38.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    --
    Last edited by stockh; 03/20/2010 at 12:11 AM.
    i think hp will because of their smartphone has some else os on it
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
    hp would be good, or dell
    You don't have Sony-Ericsson in there - they desperately need a new OS, now that their Symbian and Android (with Rachael) offerings haven't impressed as much..
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    sony should go for it
    How about PALM won't be bought out because they won't go bankrupt/fail
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Who knows? Palm might be able to weather all these storms.
    I dont want to see that happen, but if they did sell I dont want to see webOS thrown away. My vote would be for HTC. IMO, HTC consistently builds good hardware and could possibly benefit from their own OS. Motorola hits it every now and then too and they dont have their own OS either. Who knows maybe HP... Imagine it now, the new TouchSmart Phone powered by webOS
    Personal = Treo 650 => Treo 700p => Treo 755p => Palm Pre ... [Pre 2?]
    and =====================> Apple iPhone => iPad
    Work ==========================> BB Storm => HTC EVO 4G

MY PRE IS STILL MY FAVORITE BY FAR!!
    if another company bought palm would they change the UI of webos or anythin that's make webos webos?
    HTC build quality??? You must not have their winmo phones......exchange-orama for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    How about PALM won't be bought out because they won't go bankrupt/fail
    +1

I believe that Palm has many things in the development and pre-production pipes to not fail. I also believe that they are making sure that every brick in this new road is laid perfect instead of a rush job. With Apple placing more and more restrictions on products and software combined with Palm's ground work, it will pay off big in the long term and Palm will be the leader they once were.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I think the one wild card that all the analysts and doom-sayers are missing is the fact that Elevation Partners are still standing strong behind Palm. This is an unusually powerful investor group which has the resources to see this project through. Every review of WebOS out there acknowledges that the OS is far superior to anything out there. The problem is we need a faster processor and a better marketing campaign. I don't see any sign that Elevation Partners are ready to abandon ship.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I think Amazon would be interested. Build an iPad competitor. Something to push their music on different devices, books on something better than the Kindle. The iPad is going to kill the Kindle, and the ebook market is flooded with competitors, putting Amazon in the middle between something better and others that cost less. They need to up the game to compete with Apple, and this would give them the OS to do it with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mituller View Post
    The iPad is going to kill the Kindle, and the ebook market is flooded with competitors, putting Amazon in the middle between something better and others that cost less.
    The iPad is DOA, they aren't getting nearly the presales they expected, and people that own and use a kindle, aren't the people that will buy an iPad.

You should have listed Samsung as a potential suitor for Palm. They announced last year they were working on their own OS, buying Palm or licensing WebOS would give them an instant offering and they have the hardware to back it up.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    150,000 in the first 60 hours is hardly DOA. The Kindle has sold 3 million in 2.5 years. The iPad can do a lot more than the Kindle. Video is the biggest difference.

That wasn't the point of what I said though. Amazon needs a channel to sell the music, video, and the books. That's how they make money. The same was the reason for the iPhone and why Apple protects it's hardware and software links so much. It's all about what is bought after the device is sold.
    Ive said before that it would make sense for amazon to buy palm. Theyve got the money palm needs, and palm has the OS they need. Think about how awesome it would be if palm and amazon worked together to create a media distribution ecosystem to rival itunes. I like amazon as a company and think the two would compliment each other well.
    good thinking man
    "If" Palm were for sale, then Nokia would want to buy them. Nokia's merger with Sanyo didn't even make it past negotiations. So Nokia still wants to have more market share in the USA. And there is a possibility that Microsoft would buy them and then ditch Windows Mobile. Those 2 companies would be my guesses.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Rimm makes the most sense to me -- by process of elimination....

Why would a hardware company want to get into the phone OS business then they can rely on Google or Microsoft?

Nokia has thie rhands full with Symbian and Maemo.

Microsoft is too arrogate and will not support Linux anyway.

Rimm has a strong brand, good hardware -- but a seriously aging OS that they need to control.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Elevation Partners are still standing strong behind Palm
    +1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast