Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    You'd Be Crazy to Buy a Palm Now - Death of palm - Gizmodo

Wow, nice going Gizmodo. They have officially declared Palm dead and told people NOT to buy its stock.

I would like to go on record as saying that I have grown to loathe everything associated with Gizmodo. Since I made them one of my Tech sites to browse daily, I have not seen ONE positive article for Palm or WebOS. And if Palm does do something great, they don't post pictures and the article is essentially one sentence long.

While I think Engadget can be shady sometimes and definitely loves Apple - at least they give Palm credit when they do something good. Giz never does.

I have officially deleted them from my bookmarks. Good riddance.
    I did this a long time ago.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    So it's officially time to buy them. Those guys should stick to what they know, nothing.
    Palm stock went down 30% today

We can only hope they get bough out by somebody and WebOS lives on.
    Palm has a uphill battle to say the least...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Palm stock went down 30% today
    Those numbers are scary. Palm needs a new strategy ASAP.

Nexus One is already available on T-Mobile and AT&T, coming out for Verizon in a week and already announced for Sprint. That makes their competition stiffer.
    The writer is quite frankly a moron if he believes part of what he's spouting:

It's a numbers game, really: Palm owners have 2,000 apps available to them. The Android Marketplace has fifteen times that, and the iPhone's got 150,000. If developers have given up on WebOS—which it certainly seems like them have—consumers have no reason to stick around.
    The Android Marketplace has been around for three times as long as the App Catalog. The iPhone has been around even longer than that. Sure, there's low app numbers, but that doesn't equate to "developers have given up on webOS" like he claims. You'd have to look at the rate of app releases to be able to claim that.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a dire situation for Palm. But that doesn't make his statement correct.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/19/2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Ugh, Gizmodo is full of the smuggest bunch of annoying ******s to grace the internet. You're doing yourself a favor. Engadget's never let me down or made me want to strangle them with the tone of their reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The writer is quite frankly a moron if he believes part of what he's spouting:

The Android Marketplace has been around for three times as long as the App Catalog. The iPhone has been around even longer than that. Sure, there's low app numbers, but that doesn't equate to "developers have given up on webOS" like he claims. You'd have to look at the rate of app releases to be able to claim that.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a dire situation for Palm. But that doesn't make his statement correct.
    I'm a developer and I gave up on Palm. There's no money to be made; or money that's worth the time and effort. My other friends that are developers have pretty much given up as well.

A couple of weeks back I almost landed a big contract developing a WebOS app for a large company, but as of last week they pulled out and now have no interest in WebOS.
    Oh, and also, the author is doing exactly what he claims to be against when he says "Misek's prediction today that Palm's stock price would hit zero within twelve months is the kind of headline-grabbing, self-fulfilling prophecy that makes me not like analysts very much." That's exactly what the entire article is.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Well, I just bought a Pre. Giz can sit on it and spin clockwise.

That said, Palm really needs to shoot their wad on the next phone release. Need a 'gotta have it' product or it's over.
    so if palm dies do you think webos could still live on? i would actually love to see a webos phone by htc
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm a developer and I gave up on Palm. There's no money to be made; or money that's worth the time and effort. My other friends that are developers have pretty much given up as well.
    Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything. There's tons of stories of people who pulled out of iPhone development because they couldn't make money off of it, what does that mean? Absolutely nothing.

The real evidence would be in the rate of app releases. This has actually been pretty steady so far, if not increasing in the past few months.

There's no way someone can look at the App Catalog over that time and say that it's slowing down, which is what the author is somehow trying to imply.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything. There's tons of stories of people who pulled out of iPhone development because they couldn't make money off of it, what does that mean? Absolutely nothing.

The real evidence would be in the rate of app releases. This has actually been pretty steady so far, if not increasing in the past few months.

There's no way someone can look at the App Catalog over that time and say that it's slowing down, which is what the author is somehow trying to imply.
    When you have a handful of developers in a market that's not saturated pulling out, the effect is much more evident versus a market that's overly-saturated. For every developer that's left or considered leaving on the iPhone 10 more have hopped on board.

Do you think the same can be said about Palm? <- That's an honest question.
    You guys might as well ding Engadget for summing up today's bad news with a picture of a Pre in a garbage pile with a declining Palm stock graph on a WebOS app on the screen.

Then boycott Google News, Yahoo Finance, and AP for covering this extensively, thereby ALSO discouraging new buyers.

I mean, they're all in on it. EVERYBODY.
    I hope google buys them for their IP portfolio so they can sink their teeth into Apple a little more.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    What I don't get is why developers would want to develop for a platform that already has 150,000 other apps. I get that there are a lot of people using the iPhone but it's not like your app is going to stick out at all.

I know very little about developing for mobile OS's but it seems like you would have a better chance making money with very little competition than with a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    What I don't get is why developers would want to develop for a platform that already has 150,000 other apps. I get that there are a lot of people using the iPhone but it's not like your app is going to stick out at all.

I know very little about developing for mobile OS's but it seems like you would have a better chance making money with very little competition than with a bunch.
    Why? With the prospect of hitting it big. There are a massive amount of developers on the iPhone that have made an easy $100k+ on their app. Not to mention, Apple forces quality - they're not going to let you push some half-baked-half-assed app. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys might as well ding Engadget for summing up today's bad news with a picture of a Pre in a garbage pile with a declining Palm stock graph on a WebOS app on the screen.

Then boycott Google News, Yahoo Finance, and AP for covering this extensively, thereby ALSO discouraging new buyers.

I mean, they're all in on it. EVERYBODY.
    Except Engadget takes that news and writes an article like this: Palm: this is your survival guide

It's one thing to report on the news of financial woes. It's another entirely to recommend people just stop buying a product based on misleading statements and bias. Like I said, I understand things are dire for Palm right now, but that article was just over-the-top ridiculous.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/19/2010 at 04:31 PM.
    mika I was afraid we wouldn't see you but of course today there is bad news and you are here to make sure we don't forget how much you hate Palm.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast