Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I only hope that Palm takes all this information with a grain of salt... Engadget's article seems more useful then giz's.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    i think that palms getting more attention from consumers lately since the advertising is getting better. this quarter will have low numbers but i think next quarter will be alot better with sales improving with the better marketing.
    Regardless if Palm does go bankrupt, the phone I have in my hands right now.. the Pre with homebrew which will still be around for a while, as well as the apps still make this a viable phone for at least a year even if palm goes under. Right now as it sits, the phone covers my basic work needs and entertainment (save not having a paid app store). I can surf the web very well, do all the searches I need, get my emails pushed, put in all my appointments, and text with others, play the odd game, and have great phone sound quality as well as music. I really don't need more than that to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Dude people also say Engadget is being paid by Apple, does that make it true. Go and read the comments section of that blog. Gizmodo is just repeating what the whole ******* industry wants to say, does that make them *******. Sure Gizmodo might have put it harshly but its the truth. You guys are looking for someone to blame for Palm's failure, and instead of blaming Palm, you want to put the blame on someone else.
    Where in that post do I even remotely say that Gizmodo is to blame for Palm's failure?

I'm not one of the people who thinks Palm hasn't made any mistakes. While I love the platform, there's nobody else that can be blamed for this.

And as I said, sure there are some idiots who claim in the comments sections that Engadget is biased, but it's just plain not true. Gizmodo on the other hand... one, I never claimed they're being paid by Apple... but more importantly they ARE completely biased towards Apple.
    the truth hurts
    For an example of better reporting in a negative article, check out the Ars Technica story from today. I disagree with a couple conclusions there, but I have absolutely no problem with the article, unlike the Gizmodo one.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Here's the big question I have....

If Palm goes bankrupt, who funds the cloud? I'm sure they will continue with operations but I guess nobody is making fun of me now wishing they had backup of the entire device to their desktop... including apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    You'd Be Crazy to Buy a Palm Now - Death of palm - Gizmodo
    Wow, nice going Gizmodo. They have officially declared Palm dead and told people NOT to buy its stock.
    Surprised it took Giz so long to get on the bandwagon. Seriously. Don't those guys read Engadget?
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    i think that palms getting more attention from consumers lately since the advertising is getting better. this quarter will have low numbers but i think next quarter will be alot better with sales improving with the better marketing.
    I liked the pale girl. I hope she's moved on to bigger and better projects.

But seriously, if Palm is getting more attention, it's because of the buy-one-get-one free offer. Palm stuffed the channel with Pres and Pixis (selling far too many units to Verizon and Sprint) but less than half of them actually sold to consumers. So now they need to purge inventory with this 2-for-1 fire sale so they won't be forced to buy the unsold units back.

Stuffing the channel is a terribly short-sighted way of propping up your sales numbers. Palm's March 18 2010 quarterly report reveals that 960,000 units shipped in 2010 but only 408,000 of those were actually sold through to customers.

Those half-million or so unsold units are gathering dust in Verizon and Sprint warehouses, and new models will need to wait until the old models are either cleared out at rock bottom prices for a loss or bought back by Palm, again for a loss.

Palm's best tactic is arson. It would get rid of all those unsold units, and maybe generate a little sympathy. Just maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by treonoid View Post
    Stuffing the channel is a terribly short-sighted way of propping up your sales numbers. Palm's March 18 2010 quarterly report reveals that 960,000 units shipped in 2010 but only 408,000 of those were actually sold through to customers.
    Keep in mind that at the initial launch, people were wondering why Palm couldn't get enough produced when there were shortages and some couldn't buy the phone until July.

Saying that they did this to prop up their sales numbers is ridiculous. They quite simply misjudged the demand for the Verizon launch.
    I stopped reading at; "If developers have given up on WebOS—which it certainly seems like them have."
    gizmodo sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    You'd Be Crazy to Buy a Palm Now - Death of palm - Gizmodo

Wow, nice going Gizmodo. They have officially declared Palm dead and told people NOT to buy its stock.

I would like to go on record as saying that I have grown to loathe everything associated with Gizmodo. Since I made them one of my Tech sites to browse daily, I have not seen ONE positive article for Palm or WebOS. And if Palm does do something great, they don't post pictures and the article is essentially one sentence long.

While I think Engadget can be shady sometimes and definitely loves Apple - at least they give Palm credit when they do something good. Giz never does.

I have officially deleted them from my bookmarks. Good riddance.

Who gives a **** what Gizmoda thinks?! It's a group of a (Few) people, trying to make their site seem like a really big deal. They are worse then Cnet! Gizmoda doesn't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING!

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Here's the big question I have....

If Palm goes bankrupt, who funds the cloud? I'm sure they will continue with operations but I guess nobody is making fun of me now wishing they had backup of the entire device to their desktop... including apps.
    ...and will your address book be sold to Nigerian 419 fraudsters??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Thankfully most people don't read Gizmondo and half the other tech services beginning to turn a negative eye toward Palm and webOS.

I've love my Palm Pre and webOS is clearly above everyone else OS wise.

Take a look at the new Sprint 4G offering...nice hardware but Android is not making very good use of it and they've had a year headstart on us. Sorli....
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    I don't know what to make of the fact that all these Palm death sentences (which are harsh but real) make my heart hurt...

I love my Pre, and I think that any educated person can say that WebOS is hands down the best mobile operating system, especially when you factor in it's untapped potential.
    Agreed! I bought the pixi, and was convinced it was better than the pre. after a couple of weeks (today), I went back to the store and traded it in and paid the difference for the pre. <3 it.
    Life is only the perception of being alive ~ Zexter
    This is my response to Gizmodo and other bashers:

OK, to mention quickly the main reasons why WebOS and Palm are great :

*WebOs
    *Fast and simple and cool Multitasking / app switching
    *Great design, even with a keyboard that slides out.
    *WebOs updates with lots of useful new features and fixes almost every month.
    *Flash 10.1 Future support.
    *Development can be done through Javascript/html 5/css or/and C/C++ with SDL and OpenGL giving the OS the ability to port over and develop not only applications from other smartphones, but even more complicated ones.
    *Live syncing with Synergy. The best syncing I have ever experienced on any OS, phone or PC. Never has getting connected been so easy for me as it is with Palm Pre. All I did was input my gmail address and everything got synced! I mean calendar, email and contacts. The same with Facebook and other accounts. Put this with the multitasking, and it makes it a very convenient and fast smartphone for fun and business.
    *Itunes support.
    *A great community at precentral.net that offers great patches from features that are missing and also offering great homebrew apps.
    *SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD. I hate on-screen keyboards. No smartphone gets it right! Not even iPhone IMO. And to be honest, the homebrew virtual keyboard patch actually works better than the other phones.
    *Not the best sensitivity on the touch screen, but more than good enough.
    *24 bit graphics support.
    *There is only so much a handheld system, not primarily for gaming, can do effectively and good enough. So the hardware the Pre has is more than good enough. Try playing Need For Speed and other games. Maybe it takes 1.2 seconds to load longer than on iPhone, but who cares! Does it make that much of a difference to you?
    *Palm has always been ahead of the curve. They may be lagging now. But have faith and they will soon again get ahead, even just using the same hardware.
    *Even though the app catalog is small, it has 90% of apps and things I need that are useful for me. And besides that. Apple has a large catalog, but everytime I search I find different developers creating the same app that has the same functionality. Why do I need 38 lightsaber programs when one would be enough, since they all are the same? Thats why the catalog is full. Plus some apps are just stupid soundboards that any newbie developer can create.
    *Palm Pre is cheaper than its worth, making it cheaper to buy than other phones, but still has the top notch quality you expect from other phones.
    *Over the Air updates for your apps
    *Zumo Drive
    *Great sound quality in calls and music.
    *Multi Touch screen
    *Accelerometer
    *So they have over a million pre's in stock left over, That means they will be getting cheaper and cheaper, while a gen 1 iPhone will still go for nearly $200.
    *GPS
    *It has support for AIM, Google, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, exchange, pop/imap, google maps, Youtube and more.
    *Besides support for useful programming languages, Palm has great SDK's, PDK's and Ares.
    *Classic - being able to run old Palm OS software on your palm pre.

Ok, how about the bad? Well:
    *Battery gets drained quick. Not a big deal considering this may be an issue related with webos 1.4, meaning the next update can address it. Or you can use helpful tips on the forums which help that. And you can also buy a battery that lasts longer for a decent price.
    *Missing features in the apps. There aren't that many, but still, there are some missing. So the solution? Download user created patches which work better than great!
    *The Apple and droid have a bigger app market. I mentioned why this could be the case before. But there are other things to consider... the Iphone was released WAY before these other phones, and was alone in its class for a long time so that many developers clung on to this hot new wave of phone. Same with Android, its been around longer than the Palm WebOS. And on another note, its easier to develop for the WebOS than for android or Iphone. Believe me, the apps arent as many as the Iphone, but they are coming in and may soon start pouring in. Also, remember that apple will remove anything from their app catalog if a developer ports it to another OS. Sounds like cheating to me, particularly since apple has a large fanbase for the moment.

A side note to this... If all that matters is how many apps an OS has, then windows mobile should be in the lead. I mean just look at their hundreds of thousands of useless, non-working apps that they have!

*Stock went down...Stock goes up and down for all companies. Its like the price of gas.
    *Customer support is still great from both Palm and Verizon and I am pretty sure its still great support from the other carriers as well.
    *So the Evo and Nexus one will have 4G... I got something to say about that... Hey Nexus one, atleast the palms screen wont crack if its in my pocket. Besides that, I am completely satisfied with 3G because if all else fails, I can always use wifi (Which is EVERYWHERE) to download what I have to. But for data transmissions, it does the job! So big whoop to 4G! And so what if these processors have 1ghz???? Palms 600mhz palm pre plus and 512mb of ram and 16gb drive is more than enough for what a MOBILE smartphone should do. For the other stuff, I use my netbook. I mean, so Need for speed loads up faster. But in-game play is the same. Give me a break!

Mr. Barrett, you obviously have made up your mind on this. But your very ignorant and one sided and in my opinion do not know much about smartphones. And you should probably do more research on Palm and their loyal fanbase before knocking them down.

Lets face it. To me the Android and Iphone are overpriced, fancy looking toys. The Palm gets it done where it counts, and you know what, their toys are so bad either. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    This is my response to Gizmodo and other bashers:

OK, to mention quickly the main reasons why WebOS and Palm are great :
    <snipped>

Mr. Barrett, you obviously have made up your mind on this. But your very ignorant and one sided and in my opinion do not know much about smartphones. And you should probably do more research on Palm and their loyal fanbase before knocking them down.

Lets face it. To me the Android and Iphone are overpriced, fancy looking toys. The Palm gets it done where it counts, and you know what, their toys are so bad either. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
    There should be a study done on these boards on customer thinking post purchase.

Neither Gizmodo and the rest didn't say that Web OS is the worst. They just said that Palm ran the business into the ground and that better isn't going to make a damn bit of difference any more.

1. Price - You've already lost credibility. Android devices are comparably price to a Pre. A 2 year contract for a Droid can cost you $50 if you look, a bit more elsewhere. There are also various other models like the Eris, etc. if you like virtual keyboards and big screens which some do.

2. Toys? You lose credibility again. If I run an office and need to edit my Microsoft Office docs, I can do it on the toy iPhone or I can use an Android device to do that and numerous other things.

I'm not sure what to say at this point with Palm. I said about 3-4 months ago that Palm execs ought to stop smoking what they are inhaling and get down to brass tax instead of sending out press releases. They didn't do that. Instead they got nailed with a huge amount of inventory, talk about how much they sold to carriers but not how many phones were actually sold by the carriers.

So what happens now? Does Palm halt production of the Pre and Pixi? What happens while retailers have far too much product to sell out this quarter? If cash burn is any indication, they are done before 2011.

So what is the saving grace? Not yelling how everyone hates the Pre and its personal, they are all iPhone lovers, etc. If it's really the best OS, which it is, then they need to release 1 or 2 killer apps instead of screwing around on things that don't make much difference. Back is now up against the wall and pressed hard and we still haven't heard anything that will make Web OS sell far more quickly NOW and in the immediate future.

As you all have seen, talking about another great phone isn't going to cut it any more. With Sprint's new bad boy, there is no way that Palm is topping that hardware. They need something that says THE SOFTWARE makes all the difference with equal hardware (not some below par offering like the 8GB pre or the crippled Pixi.)

I hope Palm has some really good secret they aren't releasing because right now they need to pull out the miracle. Accept it. I love Palm products, think WebOS is amazing but the facts are what they are and I don't blame Gizmodo for telling us all what unfortunately is the sad state of affairs.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm a developer and I gave up on Palm. There's no money to be made; or money that's worth the time and effort. My other friends that are developers have pretty much given up as well.

A couple of weeks back I almost landed a big contract developing a WebOS app for a large company, but as of last week they pulled out and now have no interest in WebOS.
    I think that is pretty crazy of you to give up. The reality is, whether or not palm lives or dies, webos will surely live on! There is a lot of value in this operating system and another company is not gonna let that die. Based on this you should not determine if you are going to develop based on palm's future, rather webos's.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast