Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 124
  1. Clipse's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #81  
    Gizmodo is just an apple ****** blog.

    Engadget imo provides the least biased tech news.
  2. #82  
    Two words....F*** Gizmodo
    .
    .
    .

    What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

    "Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    That is completely right. I preached that for awhile here, and if you look in the app catalog at the reviews, of things like the virtual keyboards they have, it is evident that most people dont even know about precentral. The big argument here for some time has been that we have patches to fix everything, while that has been true, the simple fact is most people dont know that. Most people just knew they had a phone that they couldn't forward texts, or change notifications on, when they're old p.o.s. phone did these things.

    My friend went to radio shack yesterday, because the pre is free, he called me while he was there because the guy said they were discontiuning it because so many people were returning it, "broken phones and how bad the battery is", I mean what do you say to that? We are the nerds here, most people aren't. Imagine you owned a razor, get this badass pre, buy asphalt5 because it's freaking awesome that your new phone can play someting like that, then whack, too many cards pops up. Most people wont even know what that means. Word of mouth is stronger than any bad commercials.
    I went into Preston (in the UK) yesterday and was playing with the Pre when I noticed that it the attached message on the screen (I think it was the messaging app). The picture is pretty blurry but it says "do not buy this phone, palm is going bust".
    Attached Images Attached Images
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Agaain, repeating the same false information doesn't make it true. The number count is going up, and continues to at a steady rate. I gave actual numbers, not what I "feel" is happening. Yes, a bunch of them are e-books, a lot of the early apps were very similar sports tracking apps, and "other" app catalogs have a similar percentage of similar apps (often from the same companies). Redirecting your claim doesn't suddenly make it true.

    Bottom line - there are continually new apps available.
    HP, I never said app additions have stopped. I've said they have slowed, which is true. What have I redirected? In march 77 of the new apps have been listed in the books category. This weekend 19 apps are shown to be added, 9 of which are previous apps from the official catalog, 3 more I think are previous but am not certain, that means 10 or possibly 7 are actually new apps. 2 of them are more quotes. Those are facts, and thats what I am trying to get at here, maybe you should read it a couple times so you can absorb it. Also I looked at this months additions, many are just updated or readded for some reason apps.

    Also, when you say other app catalogs, I have to ask, do you have the other app catalogs in your house? Because I do. And I look all the time at them.
  5. #85  
    More and more gizmodo is becoming more of a sensationalist "news" site, and not just with palm but with other news items too. While some of the writers are still good (their piece about Sony last month was pretty good) some just can't get their mouth off of jobs crotch (especially Diaz, who recently headlined an article about the passing of an apple board member with "today Steve jobs is sad" with a picture of jobs as the headline pic while the guy who died was a small foot note, the editor had to step in and changed most of the article because of all the complaints from the comentors!)

    Engadget is by far the more professional site, and if gizmodo can't rid itself of the sensationalst apple loving writers then I will stop going to that site.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I went into Preston (in the UK) yesterday and was playing with the Pre when I noticed that it the attached message on the screen (I think it was the messaging app). The picture is pretty blurry but it says "do not buy this phone, palm is going bust".
    I don't understand why a lot of people is so biased against Palm... hope you deleted the message...
  7. #87  
    I too was upset by the article on gizmodo, enough so that I emailed the author. He was actually nice enough to reply, although he didn't really defend the article other than saying it was an opinion piece. Here's the transcript from my email & his response:

    (my email to gizmodo)
    Mr. Barrett,

    I've never the staff at gizmodo before but I felt your article was so egregious and so bias I felt compelled. I do not understand the reporting on your website that consistently puts palm and their products in a bad light. Yes they are a small company, yes they are in dire financial straits. However palm makes cell phones, no automobiles. Consumers buy cell phones annually or biannually. Consumers buy cars, perhaps every 5, 10, 15 years? I can understand a person not wanting to buy an automobile from a company that is going out of business, that could present many problems. But a cell phone company, especially one with at least 6 months of life in it, would only leave you at worse out in the cold for 6 months (if you could really call it out in the cold, which one could successfully argue you would not be). Have you ever used a palm pre plus? Compare the notifications, the multitasking, the accessories like the touchstone and tell me objectively how it compares to the iphone or any android phone. There is no clear winner there and I've used all three. Least I remind that webOS has been on the market for less than a year, compare that to the iphone or android at year one.

    (his response)
    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for taking the time to write. I do want to correct the record here a little bit about Gizmodo's coverage of Palm. Even in the article that I wrote today, I very clearly say that "Palm's got great hardware, and WebOS is a genuinely terrific operating system." I think you'll find that we've been consistent fans of the Palm Pre, specifically. The problem's a financial one, as Palm itself admits. They just don't have any traction. I think it's a shame that they're in such a tough spot right now, and I hope they pull out of it. But they're getting clobbered and running out of money, and if and when they go under it'll be a tough situation for their consumers. I'd also argue that the majority of people purchase new phones when they're eligible for an upgrade from their carrier or have lived out their contract, which is typically after two years.

    As for bias, well, it was an opinion piece. But it's an opinion that's been echoed by numerous financial publications yesterday and today.

    Thanks again, and I hope this helped to clarify a bit.

    Brian
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    HP, I never said app additions have stopped. I've said they have slowed, which is true.
    Really? Then post the numbers. I did. They haven't. Put up the numbers that show they have slowed down.

    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    What have I redirected? In march 77 of the new apps have been listed in the books category. This weekend 19 apps are shown to be added, 9 of which are previous apps from the official catalog, 3 more I think are previous but am not certain, that means 10 or possibly 7 are actually new apps. 2 of them are more quotes. Those are facts, and thats what I am trying to get at here, maybe you should read it a couple times so you can absorb it. Also I looked at this months additions, many are just updated or readded for some reason apps.
    Where you "redirected" is by suddenly qualifying your statement by talking about how many are e-books (doesn't matter, they are apps, and as I pointed out, there were junk apps before as well, it's all part of it), and talking about how many of them are updates. The updates don't count twice. In other words. Facebook introduced increased the total app count (currently at about 1765) by 1. When they updated it, they didn't count it again.

    You are trying to get a "feel" about new apps by checking recent additions. I am not. I'm looking at the count. I've given the numbes before, we've pretty consistently run about 300 new apps per month since we hit 1000.
  9. Dtone's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I know I will get killed for saying this here, but has anybody considered the possibility that WebOS and more specifically the Pre just isn't that good?

    I just don't really think most people care about multitasking.
    Thats a good question.
    I think WebOS is great but has some minor flaws.

    but i think you hit the nail on the head...most ppl just dont care that much about multitasking.
    It turned out to be a weak selling point. People who see my Pre in action are usually amazed at what it can do, but despite that they are not motivated to actually buy one. In the end they stick to what that know (iPhone, Android, or Blackberry) or just don't get a smartphone at all.
    If you go from the Pre to say the iPhone, you'll miss the whole cards thing and multitasking alot. but if you never really experienced it, its not a compelling selling point to the masses. The average person may not want to do a million things at the same time on there phone at the same time anyway. Most ppl are not power users.

    Synergy is also a hard thing to market because its kinda of an abstract thing. How do you fully explain it in a simple catchy way that takes less than 30 secs.

    For better or worse you need a gimmick to market..
  10. #90  
    Its people like them that will hurt Palm....if they tell people not to buy Palm products then of course the stock will fall. Don't they know that there phones are still really good. WebOS also just needs time to grow....its not even a year old yet and has the same if not more features that iPhoneOS has taken up to 3 years to implement.
  11. Dtone's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The problem with boards like this is that it gets people like us - people who know about tech, care about what OS they use and understand the technical merits of the various platforms. Normal people don't give two hoots, they care about:

    1) What contract do I have to sign?

    2) Does the phone feel good in the store when I play with it for 15 minutes?

    3) Have I heard (via marketing and peers) that this phone is cool?

    very true..but complaining about the way it is isn't going to get Palm anywhere. The world isn't going to change for Palm just because it isn't fair.
    Life aint fair and neither is business. Palm needs somehow make a phone that feels good in the store when you play with it for 15 mins, and make there brand cool in the eyes of the mainstream.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    Its people like them that will hurt Palm....if they tell people not to buy Palm products then of course the stock will fall. Don't they know that there phones are still really good. WebOS also just needs time to grow....its not even a year old yet and has the same if not more features that iPhoneOS has taken up to 3 years to implement.
    Problem is Palm doesn't and never had 3 years to mature WebOS. They had to hit the ground running. What they did was just hit the ground.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Problem is Palm doesn't and never had 3 years to mature WebOS. They had to hit the ground running. What they did was just hit the ground.
    True but lets hope they can pick back up.
  14. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #94  
    LOL at people hating on Gizmondo for telling the truth. Palm is as good as dead. Anybody who buys a Pre now is an not smart. Their only chance at survival is being bought up. Thats how you know how much trouble they are in. The market has spoken. They don't want a Palm Pre or Pixi. Maybe webOS can be bought by another company to be used or Palm for its patents. Gizmondo is repeating what the general market is saying. Heck there are analysts predicting Palm's price is going to 0. Damn. Palm had so much promise but promise doesn't cut it in this business. Yeah everybody who says anything negative about Palm are Apple *******. The analyst who gave Palm a rating of 0 is also an Apple ******. Every analyst cutting Palm's target price is an Apple ******. All the media agencies reporting negativity about Palm are Apple *******.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    LOL at people hating on Gizmondo for telling the truth. Palm is as good as dead. Anybody who buys a Pre now is an not smart. Their only chance at survival is being bought up. Thats how you know how much trouble they are in. The market has spoken. They don't want a Palm Pre or Pixi. Maybe webOS can be bought by another company to be used or Palm for its patents. Gizmondo is repeating what the general market is saying. Heck there are analysts predicting Palm's price is going to 0. Damn. Palm had so much promise but promise doesn't cut it in this business. Yeah everybody who says anything negative about Palm are Apple *******. The analyst who gave Palm a rating of 0 is also an Apple ******. Every analyst cutting Palm's target price is an Apple ******. All the media agencies reporting negativity about Palm are Apple *******.
    Nobody's saying that it's wrong to report news. We're saying that it's a ridiculous thing to tell everyone not to buy a Palm device because of it, and is exactly the type of self-fulfilling prophecy bull**** that the author claims to be railing against in the first paragraph.

    He has a negative opinion of Palm, that's fine. He wants to report on the financial stuff, that's fine. But there's some inaccurate statements in the article that I have a problem with that I already mentioned, and I have a problem with how hypocritical the article is.

    Combine that with Gizmodo's history over the past few years, of being connected to Apple at the hip, and yeah, that's why people are annoyed at this specific publication.

    Engadget reported the same news, and if you listen to their podcast, at least one of the people speaking on it doesn't like Palm at all. And that's fine, because they're objective about it and tend to have balanced coverage of everything, despite claims in their comments section otherwise.

    But Gizmodo's got absolutely no objectivity, and have been that way every bit of the way... remember, this is the same site that came up with the ridiculous "OMG it cuts cheese" thing as well.

    If you can't tell, it's not just this specific article that bothers me about Gizmodo, and not even just coverage of Palm that bothers me either. While I dislike other sites for being biased (BGR is pretty guilty of that), not a single one bothers me even close to as much as Gizmodo.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Why? With the prospect of hitting it big. There are a massive amount of developers on the iPhone that have made an easy $100k+ on their app. Not to mention, Apple forces quality - they're not going to let you push some half-baked-half-assed app. :\
    Apple forces quality?? Ha Ha what a joke. Sure they don't allow p0rn, but that doesn't mean the apps have quality. If Apple really enforced quality they wouldn't have hundreds of fart type apps in their catalog and would have less than half the number of apps that they do currently.
  17. #97  
    I'm probably going to buy 300 shares of palm in the near future..
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really? Then post the numbers. I did. They haven't. Put up the numbers that show they have slowed down.

    Where you "redirected" is by suddenly qualifying your statement by talking about how many are e-books (doesn't matter, they are apps, and as I pointed out, there were junk apps before as well, it's all part of it), and talking about how many of them are updates. The updates don't count twice. In other words. Facebook introduced increased the total app count (currently at about 1765) by 1. When they updated it, they didn't count it again.

    You are trying to get a "feel" about new apps by checking recent additions. I am not. I'm looking at the count. I've given the numbes before, we've pretty consistently run about 300 new apps per month since we hit 1000.
    Ok genius, in my very first post I talk of the ebook app flood. I also posted numbers for the weekend which was alot more in depth then your guessing, and clearly showed what I meant. Also, you never answered wether or not you have the other app catalogs available for you to judge by. There was no redirecting of any kind on my part, your miserable games are tiresome HP.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    Apple forces quality?? Ha Ha what a joke. Sure they don't allow p0rn, but that doesn't mean the apps have quality. If Apple really enforced quality they wouldn't have hundreds of fart type apps in their catalog and would have less than half the number of apps that they do currently.
    Come talk to me when a developer on WebOS has made six figures off a fart app.
  20. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Nobody's saying that it's wrong to report news. We're saying that it's a ridiculous thing to tell everyone not to buy a Palm device because of it, and is exactly the type of self-fulfilling prophecy bull**** that the author claims to be railing against in the first paragraph.

    He has a negative opinion of Palm, that's fine. He wants to report on the financial stuff, that's fine. But there's some inaccurate statements in the article that I have a problem with that I already mentioned, and I have a problem with how hypocritical the article is.

    Combine that with Gizmodo's history over the past few years, of being connected to Apple at the hip, and yeah, that's why people are annoyed at this specific publication.

    Engadget reported the same news, and if you listen to their podcast, at least one of the people speaking on it doesn't like Palm at all. And that's fine, because they're objective about it and tend to have balanced coverage of everything, despite claims in their comments section otherwise.

    But Gizmodo's got absolutely no objectivity, and have been that way every bit of the way... remember, this is the same site that came up with the ridiculous "OMG it cuts cheese" thing as well.

    If you can't tell, it's not just this specific article that bothers me about Gizmodo, and not even just coverage of Palm that bothers me either. While I dislike other sites for being biased (BGR is pretty guilty of that), not a single one bothers me even close to as much as Gizmodo.
    Dude people also say Engadget is being paid by Apple, does that make it true. Go and read the comments section of that blog. Gizmodo is just repeating what the whole ******* industry wants to say, does that make them *******. Sure Gizmodo might have put it harshly but its the truth. You guys are looking for someone to blame for Palm's failure, and instead of blaming Palm, you want to put the blame on someone else.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions