Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 124
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I was about to post this at the end of the thread, but a response here is as good as any other place.

    Here's a much more balanced look at the facts (and even some predictions):

    Reuters.com

    There are some pretty important points in the article (one of them touched on by Joe):

    • Morgan Joseph analyst Ilya Grozovsky estimated the company may only have enough cash to operate through the middle of 2011, given its expenses and persistent losses. It should be noted, that's current expenses and persistent losses. If the losses increase, it could be less time. If the losses decrease, and profits start, it will be more time.
    • While Palm's share price has plunged 72 percent since the first deal in June 2007, the value of Elevation's investment has been maintained by the terms of the original deals. Palm's filings show that Elevation has invested a total of $460 million in the company, an investment that is worth $432 million today based on Friday's close of $4.00. In other words, their biggest investor hasn't lost much money. They're not seeing a profit, which is what investment companies want to see, but they haven't lost money either.
    • And here's my favorite Rubinstein also mentioned that the company would introduce a new product this year, but provided no specifics.
    Wow, I can't believe you quoted people that said the stock market wouldn't crash again.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If.

    I hope they pull through, but that's not necessarily a given. Regardless, I think they still have a year or two left no matter what.

    But that's every bit as much a wild guess as any other opinion out there.
    Even if it's a year or two that they continue to exist.. then it's time for a new phone upgrade anyways so no real big deal. To me this is just another Palm's demise thread. They have been around for almost a decade now. I'm not worried... so long as my updates are regular and the apps continue to come out.. who cares? Unless you are an investor.
  3. #63  
    They are going to introduce something sooner than later this year. But the big "?" is when is the perfect timing for this?
  4. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Even setting aside my natural dislike for Kevin Rose, I don't agree with him that it's the hardware that caused the failure. The Pre does not feel cheap to me, and there are enough people who prefer a hardware keyboard that his own personal acceptance of the iPhone's on-screen keyboard is irrelevant to me. I do agree that apps are important, but I don't think they drove things here. And, I can't remember his other point.
    The first thing I thought of when I went into the Sprint store was "boy... this is really a step down from my slid Treo." The plasticky feel and sliding mechanism that wasn't "firm" really made me hesitant. The Droid really snaps much better into place, unfortunately. You hold that phone and it's solid. The last part - the screen was OBVIOUSLY smaller than the iPhone - I guess to them, that was a good thing that they thought consumers wanted. That didn't bode well for me. It was just small enough that hitting items on the screen took serious effort and I wasn't accurate enough.
  5. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #65  
    I like Engadget. Their writing is pretty balanced. Gizmodo isn't.
  6. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    It's a big problem. Fundamentally the reason WebOS didn't take off was that it launched on Sprint. Sprint is the kiss of death. Every major phone success in a new handset came with a launch on AT&T or VZ. If VZ had launched it instead of Sprint, it would have been as successful as the Droid.

    Worse, Sprint had a 6 month exclusive that capped the ability for Palm to really capitalize on their headstart over Android. By the time they could launch on VZ, Moto and Android had already launched the Droid and the rest is history.

    NO major handset maker has ever had a major success launching on Sprint. You just can't fine one example.

    It's funny that everyone is puzzled why WebOS hasn't taken off, but the answer is pretty simple - it's not webos but Sprint that's the reason.
    I can't completely agree with this. While Sprint has had many issues, it's NOT the sole reason the Pre failed to capture the market.

    Probably the biggest mistakes were made by Palm. They announced a new device that had just about everybody salivating. The buzz was there. The problem was that the phone wasn't ready to go. By the time it launched, people were already moving on to the next big thing (the new iPhone). Almost 6 months of buzz was wasted. Then on top of that Palm delivered a device with some rather glaring hardware defects. They dropped the ball on SDK , and their ads for the phone were absolutely horrible. Show what the phone does, stop trying to be so artsy-fartsy.

    Palm has always seemed to be a bit slow. They made incremental upgrades to their products and platform for years, while their lead on the market was eaten away. The biggest thing hurting Palm...is Palm. To be honest, WebOS (or an earlier version) should have been developed and released 2 years before it was. Sprint had nothing to do with that.

    With all that said, it could be argued that Palm hurt Sprint.
  7. Dtone's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #67  
    let HP make a WebOS phone. They can put a ad in every laptop they sell for it. It would give instant credibility to Palm.
    I'd hate to see WebOS die, I've gotten to used to it, I can't go back to doing one thing at a time (ie iPhone.)
  8. #68  
    FWIW, may I remind Gizmodo that at 2000 apps in the Palm App Catalog, that is 2000% more apps than Apple had in their App Store after the first 9 months following the release of the iPhone because there was no App Store or SDK for the iPhone.

    Palm just released the public beta of the PDK. This opens the possibility to create a whole new class of apps. Has anyone noticed the iPhone ports showing up lately?

    IMHO, Palm needs to get the SDK fully supporting the device (micrphone, file system, etc.) A.S.A.P. Too much time has already been lost.

    Palm also needs to hire a couple of developers (remember how easy it is to develop on webOS) to add the MANY missing functions that should have been in webOS 1.0:

    Phone: Ignore button on incoming call, Ignore with message on incoming call, Record call, Voice dial, etc.

    Calendar: Full support for scheduling meetings, Reminder snooze options, etc.

    Contacts: Grouping, Control over what Synergy includes, etc.

    Memos: Grouping/Categories, Import, Export, etc.

    Tasks: Support, Import, Export, Reminders with options

    Themes: Support for all apps

    Clock: Clock themes (analog, digital, etc.), Alarm options (sound file, volume, duration, etc.), Snooze options (duration, how activated, etc.)

    Lock Screen: Full options for appearance, what is displayed / included, what is displayed on Touchstone versus charge via cable versus on battery

    Top Bar: Full support for select what is displayed and how

    Startup Apps: Interface to allow the user to select which apps start with phone

    Notifications: Independent volume control from other sounds (ringtones, games/media, system sound effects, etc,), Sound per item (contact, reminder, calendar, task, alarm, IM/e-mail/call/tweet/etc.)


    Palm, contact me and I will gladly help you produce a list!
  9. #69  
    palm may have alot going for it, but remember they need money at the end of the day.....
    if that dries up, so will palm.......

    and right now the money is drying up, a new product could save it, but it would have to come FAST and the OS would need to gain some every day apps and features.....

    The software side can come quickly, but the hardware is another story......
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #70  
    FWIW, may I remind Gizmodo that at 2000 apps in the Palm App Catalog, that is 2000% more apps than Apple had in their App Store after the first 9 months following the release of the iPhone because there was no App Store or SDK for the iPhone.
    So? You have to compete with the market as it is not how it was when your competition launched the model you are copying.
  11. Phantasmn's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    You'd Be Crazy to Buy a Palm Now - Death of palm - Gizmodo

    Wow, nice going Gizmodo. They have officially declared Palm dead and told people NOT to buy its stock.

    I would like to go on record as saying that I have grown to loathe everything associated with Gizmodo. Since I made them one of my Tech sites to browse daily, I have not seen ONE positive article for Palm or WebOS. And if Palm does do something great, they don't post pictures and the article is essentially one sentence long.

    While I think Engadget can be shady sometimes and definitely loves Apple - at least they give Palm credit when they do something good. Giz never does.

    I have officially deleted them from my bookmarks. Good riddance.
    I agree with everything you said, except I'm pretty sure Gizmodo has much more of an Apple obsession than Engadget. All tech blogs will talk about Apple, but Giz takes the cake.
  12. wmurch3's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
       #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmn View Post
    I agree with everything you said, except I'm pretty sure Gizmodo has much more of an Apple obsession than Engadget. All tech blogs will talk about Apple, but Giz takes the cake.
    True but I can't blame them. Apple is the hot hardware company of the moment and these sites are nothing without insider info. The best way to get that info: give a bunch of positive press for basically free.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, that statement is simply incorrect, no matter how many times you repeat it.

    The catalog hit 1000 apps late December or early January. I enthusiastically Predicted 2000 Febraury. I missed. By a lot. They were at about 1300. At the end of February, they were at about 1600, and now, mid-March, at about 1750.

    Looks pretty steady to me.
    Again, many of the recent apps you point at have been EBOOKS, also many of the apps when hitting "recent" are existing apps, those are facts HP. Yes we have gotten some games and a few other good apps, but the releases have definitely slowed. I check the app catalog daily, (like most people do), and it has simply been hovering around the same numbers.

    Then, to dig the knife alittle deeper, what is imo the most useful app, ''youview" is limited as to it's functionality, because almost a year later palm can't seem to open up voice controls to the developers. I play with an android nightly, and it has so many useful tools available to it, that it just becomes aggravating on my end. IMO, multitasking is all the pre has going for it, the only reason I haven't switched over is that I dont like how every android phone has a different version on it, it's simply not fair from a consumers standpoint. And after spending 550.00$ on a moment that still has 1.5 on it, months later, I just can't see supporting that type of business again.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So? You have to compete with the market as it is not how it was when your competition launched the model you are copying.
    I agree with you. Those arguments are so tired, it's like saying my new truck doesn't have anti-lock breaks, but its ok, because my old truck didnt either. Why people clamer for excuses, I dont know. Perhaps they invested in palm stock and are in a dire place themselves.
  15. #75  
    I wonder if Gizmodo published a similar article when the iPhone was less than a year old?

    If the success of a platform depended on the number of apps, they would have declared the iPhone dead within 6 months. PalmOS had a huge catalog of very useful apps. The iPhone's initial success was not due to it's apps, it was because they had a huge pool of Apple-Addicts to target. The apps came later. And the iPad will be a huge success, even though it's nothing but a severely limited netbook.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Again, many of the recent apps you point at have been EBOOKS, also many of the apps when hitting "recent" are existing apps, those are facts HP. Yes we have gotten some games and a few other good apps, but the releases have definitely slowed. I check the app catalog daily, (like most people do), and it has simply been hovering around the same numbers.
    Agaain, repeating the same false information doesn't make it true. The number count is going up, and continues to at a steady rate. I gave actual numbers, not what I "feel" is happening. Yes, a bunch of them are e-books, a lot of the early apps were very similar sports tracking apps, and "other" app catalogs have a similar percentage of similar apps (often from the same companies). Redirecting your claim doesn't suddenly make it true.

    Bottom line - there are continually new apps available.
  17. #77  
    I know I will get killed for saying this here, but has anybody considered the possibility that WebOS and more specifically the Pre just isn't that good?

    I just don't really think most people care about multitasking.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I know I will get killed for saying this here, but has anybody considered the possibility that WebOS and more specifically the Pre just isn't that good?

    I just don't really think most people care about multitasking.
    The problem with boards like this is that it gets people like us - people who know about tech, care about what OS they use and understand the technical merits of the various platforms. Normal people don't give two hoots, they care about:

    1) What contract do I have to sign?

    2) Does the phone feel good in the store when I play with it for 15 minutes?

    3) Have I heard (via marketing and peers) that this phone is cool?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The problem with boards like this is that it gets people like us - people who know about tech, care about what OS they use and understand the technical merits of the various platforms. Normal people don't give two hoots, they care about:

    1) What contract do I have to sign?

    2) Does the phone feel good in the store when I play with it for 15 minutes?

    3) Have I heard (via marketing and peers) that this phone is cool?

    Totally agree. We are the minority though. What makes the iPhone so popular is that it has an extremely easy to use interface. While this might come at a trade off to more advanced features (multitasking), I would say most people don't care.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The problem with boards like this is that it gets people like us - people who know about tech, care about what OS they use and understand the technical merits of the various platforms. Normal people don't give two hoots, they care about:

    1) What contract do I have to sign?

    2) Does the phone feel good in the store when I play with it for 15 minutes?

    3) Have I heard (via marketing and peers) that this phone is cool?
    That is completely right. I preached that for awhile here, and if you look in the app catalog at the reviews, of things like the virtual keyboards they have, it is evident that most people dont even know about precentral. The big argument here for some time has been that we have patches to fix everything, while that has been true, the simple fact is most people dont know that. Most people just knew they had a phone that they couldn't forward texts, or change notifications on, when they're old p.o.s. phone did these things.

    My friend went to radio shack yesterday, because the pre is free, he called me while he was there because the guy said they were discontiuning it because so many people were returning it, "broken phones and how bad the battery is", I mean what do you say to that? We are the nerds here, most people aren't. Imagine you owned a razor, get this badass pre, buy asphalt5 because it's freaking awesome that your new phone can play someting like that, then whack, too many cards pops up. Most people wont even know what that means. Word of mouth is stronger than any bad commercials.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions