Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    What I don't get is why developers would want to develop for a platform that already has 150,000 other apps. I get that there are a lot of people using the iPhone but it's not like your app is going to stick out at all.

I know very little about developing for mobile OS's but it seems like you would have a better chance making money with very little competition than with a bunch.
    Mmmm............well, look at it this way. If you're the lone developer of a piece of software, say a document editor, or maybe one of three developers, you've got to get it right. You can't fall back on another developer doing a better job, then fix your product to make it better than the other guys. No feedback as to what made the other piece so good compared to yours. People spend more time developing for iPhones just because of that. Word of mouth advertising is brutally effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys might as well ding Engadget for summing up today's bad news with a picture of a Pre in a garbage pile with a declining Palm stock graph on a WebOS app on the screen.

Then boycott Google News, Yahoo Finance, and AP for covering this extensively, thereby ALSO discouraging new buyers.

I mean, they're all in on it. EVERYBODY.
    It's not the general knowledge that Palm has an uphill battle that is in question here. It's Gizmodos article and his numbers that he's trying to equate to his article (done very poorly and seems to be making his own guesses/assumptions aka speaking out the side of his %$#).

Engadget has the same type of article with the same type of bad news about Palm but it is not spouting out numbers and assumptions based on its own author. That's my problem with Giz.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    When you have a handful of developers in a market that's not saturated pulling out, the effect is much more evident versus a market that's overly-saturated. For every developer that's left or considered leaving on the iPhone 10 more have hopped on board.

Do you think the same can be said about Palm? <- That's an honest question.
    You know, I wrote this before, but then decided against it and edited it out, because it thought it might sound insulting and it's not intended to... What exactly have you written for the Pre to say you're "pulling out"? That's just never starting.

From what's visible in the App Catalog, the main contributors to webOS apps are still working on it just as much now as they were before, and still producing a steady amount of apps.

That's even more the case when you look at the homebrew stuff that's not in the catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    What I don't get is why developers would want to develop for a platform that already has 150,000 other apps. I get that there are a lot of people using the iPhone but it's not like your app is going to stick out at all.

I know very little about developing for mobile OS's but it seems like you would have a better chance making money with very little competition than with a bunch.
    Here why. I have a full time job, that is not developing software. I developed a little app for the DC metro system in about 4 days and to date I have made about 11k. Next version I am adding Ad's, with metros blessing, and will increased in the month cash flow , when apps are not selling. I will work on a android app, but I assure you that it will be harder to make the money. The marketplace needs to be centralized.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You'd have to look at the rate of app releases to be able to claim that.
    actually before reading this article I was wondering why we been hovering around 1700 apps for awhile now. nothing is really being released lately, and if you take out all the ebooks that have flooded the catalog lately, i think you would see, nothing has really been going on.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The writer is quite frankly a moron if he believes part of what he's spouting:

The Android Marketplace has been around for three times as long as the App Catalog. The iPhone has been around even longer than that. Sure, there's low app numbers, but that doesn't equate to "developers have given up on webOS" like he claims. You'd have to look at the rate of app releases to be able to claim that.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a dire situation for Palm. But that doesn't make his statement correct.
    Actually, the moron is the person not keeping track of WHY the Android Marketplace has been around for longer than the App catalog. Palm couldn't get out its own development kit - only after an extended delay. Every additional month kicked them in the teeth. They didn't see it back then... they do now.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Actually, the moron is the person not keeping track of WHY the Android Marketplace has been around for longer than the App catalog. Palm couldn't get out its own development kit - only after an extended delay. Every additional month kicked them in the teeth. They didn't see it back then... they do now.
    +1
    You're not going to get me to disagree with the fact that the Palm SDK should've been a public beta from the beginning, but calling it an extended delay when it was in some developers hands in January and then released a month after launch is kind of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Anyway, it's not just that Android's SDK was out first... Android has also just literally been around longer. It's been out for a year longer than webOS has. Yes, they released the SDK before the device release, but it was pretty half-baked at the beginning as well. In fact, Android as a whole was pretty much insignificant for the first year of its existence. It wasn't really until around the Hero launch that people started to get enthusiastic about the OS as a whole.
    these are the same idiots claiming that the palm app catalog has received their "first" decent app, and reviewed the assasins creed game. Not only were they sadly missinformed, but highly biased with apple.
    That guys should have stuck to the facts and keep his doom and gloom opinions to himself. It only discredits.
    Gizmodo is nothing but a mouthpiece for Apple. Much is true of most of the sites because I'm pretty dang sure they're on the payrolls of the huge corps. It's ridiculous how much media that 'new', idiotic, irrelevant iTampon is getting considering that it's just an oversized iphone. I think Palm should sue gizmodo because of that headline because it may actually be hurting their sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    actually before reading this article I was wondering why we been hovering around 1700 apps for awhile now. nothing is really being released lately, and if you take out all the ebooks that have flooded the catalog lately, i think you would see, nothing has really been going on.
    I was thinking about it and I wanted to clarify something about my remarks. I have no problem with a person stating that app releases are slowing down and developers aren't working on it any more. If you believe that, you're entitled to that opinion (not that you need my permission to). I personally disagree, and feel that the flow of apps has been at the same rate.

Regardless, I have absolutely no issue with any of that. My issue with the Gizmodo article is that he uses the wrong data to make that argument, or makes the wrong conclusion from the data he's giving. You simply can't say "webOS only has 2000 apps" and use that to support the statement that developers are leaving the platform. It's just a complete logical fallacy. If you want to state that, then you have to look at the rate of applications being released, not the total number of apps.
    My biggest concern right now, from a developer standpoint, isn't that we won't see good applications from "independent" developers. Rather, it's that the bigger/more visible players, like Shazam and Dataviz, will drop whatever plans they've had for webOS apps and that current webOS apps will languish. For example, the Evernote app remains very limited (even outside of SDK limitations) and remains without an update in spite of several bugs that have been reported--could this be happening because Evernote simply doesn't see a return relative to, say, their Android app?

It really is a vicious cycle. Slow sales means less developer interest, which means fewer apps, which means lower sales, which means less developer interest, etc., etc. I'm not say that's going to happen or is already happening, but it's a very real possibility.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I say enjoy the phone. Even if they go belly up tomorrow WebOS will not meet an instant death. Look how long PalmOS lasted without any significant newness. And IMO, WebOS will still best the other OS for the next two years with or without updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I say enjoy the phone. Even if they go belly up tomorrow WebOS will not meet an instant death. Look how long PalmOS lasted without any significant newness. And IMO, WebOS will still best the other OS for the next two years with or without updates.
    Believe me, I've been one of Palm's strongest supporters. And I still want webOS to succeed. My biggest concern is that functionality that I need my Pre to perform--such as audio recording, voice commands, Docs to Go, and better task management--won't happen because developers won't see the return on investment.

If those apps already existed, then I'd be happy to keep using my Pre until it broke or until Palm services simply stopped working. Given that they're not available, there's only so much longer I can continue to go without them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Believe me, I've been one of Palm's strongest supporters. And I still want webOS to succeed. My biggest concern is that functionality that I need my Pre to perform--such as audio recording, voice commands, Docs to Go, and better task management--won't happen because developers won't see the return on investment.

If those apps already existed, then I'd be happy to keep using my Pre until it broke or until Palm services simply stopped working. Given that they're not available, there's only so much longer I can continue to go without them.
    It's a big problem. Fundamentally the reason WebOS didn't take off was that it launched on Sprint. Sprint is the kiss of death. Every major phone success in a new handset came with a launch on AT&T or VZ. If VZ had launched it instead of Sprint, it would have been as successful as the Droid.

Worse, Sprint had a 6 month exclusive that capped the ability for Palm to really capitalize on their headstart over Android. By the time they could launch on VZ, Moto and Android had already launched the Droid and the rest is history.

NO major handset maker has ever had a major success launching on Sprint. You just can't fine one example.

It's funny that everyone is puzzled why WebOS hasn't taken off, but the answer is pretty simple - it's not webos but Sprint that's the reason.
    Is Palm Dead? - Kevin Rose -- a great take on the situation.
    I don't know what to make of the fact that all these Palm death sentences (which are harsh but real) make my heart hurt...

I love my Pre, and I think that any educated person can say that WebOS is hands down the best mobile operating system, especially when you factor in it's untapped potential.
    But what did you expect from the site that was almost banned from CES? Professionalism? Hah!

It's enough to see that their coverage of Palm at the GDC: One sentence and then ctrl+c/ctrl+v from the press release. That's journalism, guys!

They've been announcing the death of Palm for a while now, so this shouldn't come as a surprise, anyway. I suppose we're all familiar with the saying "if a lie is repeated enough, people will believe it"? This seems more or less the same to me: pure propaganda. Not the fact that announcing that Palm is in trouble (it certainly is), but the fact of systematically bashing Palm and trying to drive consumers in a given direction (read: iphone).

Sure Apple is delighted with its Gizmodo lackeys.
    A previous announcement on the demise of palm. This one is from October.

And I forgot to mention that this comes from the guys who cut cheese with a pre (yeah, a standard harware test) as soon as they got one on release. So, I guess the bashing started long ago.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast