Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Honestly... Palm is trying to do way too much. Why not license webOS to HTC and let them make awesome hardware to match the awesome software? It seems like a perfect match! And it would keep Palm afloat. Agree?
    yes
    Perfect !
    One, what incentive would there be for HTC to bother with this, when they're already doing well with their Android devices.

Two, how would Palm make money off of this scenario to stay alive?

Three, this has been discussed ad nauseum already.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    One, what incentive would there be for HTC to bother with this, when they're already doing well with their Android devices.

Two, how would Palm make money off of this scenario to stay alive?

Three, this has been discussed ad nauseum already.
    1. The same incentive they have with android, more handsets means more sales.

2. More handsets sold with webOS means more sales for Palm

3. 90% of the posts in some shape or form have been discussed, I think that's the only way this forum can survive.

now let me start a post how I hate the calendar!
  6.    #6  
    Sure, they wouldn't get any revenue from a hardware point of view, but licensing webOS as well as app downloads would at least be some revenue. I'm afraid Palm is losing too much by focusing on hardware this go around. Plus, all of the resources Palm is throwing at hardware could be used for development of the actual OS hence making it more attractive to possible customers.

I don't see why HTC would be opposed to supporting another OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    1. The same incentive they have with android, more handsets means more sales.

2. More handsets sold with webOS means more sales for Palm

3. 90% of the posts in some shape or form have been discussed, I think that's the only way this forum can survive.

now let me start a post how I hate the calendar!
    Android is open-source, and so HTC doesn't have to pay to license it. You really think they're going to pay Palm, to use their OS when they can just continue to customize Android?

The licensing fees would have to be pretty low for anyone to be interested. Palm makes money off of the hardware they sell. If they're not selling hardware because other licensees had better devices, they're not making much money off of it. You're not going to be able to sustain a company on a percentage of App Catalog profits (which most of which goes towards hosting and the like anyway) and licensing fees.

Just look at what happened to PalmSource for an example of that.

It works for Google because they don't really need to make money off of Android. Their goal is entirely different from Palm's in the sense that they want everything you do to be from a Google-based service. The phones themselves come second to the fact that they get you using Google, which gives them other opportunities for profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Android is open-source, and so HTC doesn't have to pay to license it. You really think they're going to pay Palm, to use their OS when they can just continue to customize Android?

The licensing fees would have to be pretty low for anyone to be interested. Palm makes money off of the hardware they sell. If they're not selling hardware because other licensees had better devices, they're not making much money off of it. You're not going to be able to sustain a company on a percentage of App Catalog profits (which most of which goes towards hosting and the like anyway) and licensing fees.

Just look at what happened to PalmSource for an example of that.

It works for Google because they don't really need to make money off of Android. Their goal is entirely different from Palm's in the sense that they want everything you do to be from a Google-based service. The phones themselves come second to the fact that they get you using Google, which gives them other opportunities for profit.
    Well I'm pretty sure HTC will be making WM7 phones which they hve to license, so why not WebOS also?
    +1

Absolutly agreed. Plus, HTC is loved and known in Europe, that would be great for sales.
    Not happening. I think a lot of people don't understand how "close" Google and HTC are at this point. HTC would be stupid to try to hurt their relationship with Google by making hardware for a competing OS out of the blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Not happening. I think a lot of people don't understand how "close" Google and HTC are at this point. HTC would be stupid to try to hurt their relationship with Google by making hardware for a competing OS out of the blue.
    +1, lets face it guys, Palm is going down the ****ter so we just have to hope someone decent buys them out. I hope its google so that can take advatage of all the things WebOS offers inside of Android. Lets face it they have enough $$ to go anywhere with this.
    I'd rather see Nokia take the hw but I'd settle for HTC.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Not a chance.

HTC licenses Adroid for free, and then INVESTS thier own money in "Sense-UI", which, enhances Android experience (anyone seen the HTC HD2 yet. they put "Sense" over WIndows Mobile 6.5 and it is very cool).

What MIGHT be a better alternative is for Palm to use HTC to make thier phones. That really is HTCs forte.

But, I think its a bit late for this to be the only solution to Palm's situation right now; perhaps 6 months ago, but not now.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Honestly, HTC should buy palm. For a few reasons

1, WEBOS. Sure they can keep making Androind phones, but could also market HTC phones with there own OS

2. Patents, patents, patents

Right now HTC is being sued by apple for patent infringement, something apple would be a lot less likely to do if HTC held palms Patent portfolio.

3. The palm Team

Lets face it, while they are struggling, the palm hardware and software teams are very good and could only help another company

I am sure there are more reasons for and against. But I think it would be a great fit. Great hardware paired with great software
    oh now you guys think HTC should design for Palm ...

I work for Sprint and ever since I got hold of the Palm Pre I thought
    "This is not going to go well..."

Why?? Because the hardware is cheap and not very appealing.

Honestly, I think the Pre has a nice design but once your hands are on it you realize how cheap it is.

Later I realized that people were not buying the phone because they dont know how to use it!! I mean...how are people supposed to know the gestures?? Sure, we could teach the clients but by the time we get to the client, he or she has already played with another phone that made more sense to them and probably had better build quality. Yes! we do get commission on the phones we sell but we generally get the same amount for any smartphone. None of my coworkers prefer a phone over another based on commission! ...we do have morals and try our best to be honest with the customer. None of us are fan boys of any manufacturer... and this has been my experience in most sprint stores Ive visited.

I always said Palm should have designed a phone more like those of HTC and most people always bashed me Saying things like "Let Palm innovate".. At least that would have attracted more customers and curiosity about how to use it.

Anyways! I hope Palm learns its lesson and designs a beautiful phone with excellent quality to go along with WebOS.
    Last edited by LACienega; 03/19/2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Generally agreed. HTC makes good phones. Palm has always made OK phones. Palm makes a great OS, a partnership allows for control of # of devices and appropriate specs.
    Like Nexus 1, use HTC for palm branded phones
    I thought HTC WAS responsible for the handset design for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Palm doesn’t necessarily have to license the OS to hardware vendors. They can consult with outside vendors to design the hardware for them. HTC designed the Treo Pro, which is one, the best-looking Palm devices in my opinion.
    Absolutely agree! I've been posting that for months, only to be peppered with the usual sophomoric "troll" and "hater" comments.
    All the best devices on the market are currently being by built by HTC.
    It would be a perfect match. The best OS on the best devices.
    A Nexus One style device running WebOS would finally and truly be THE iPhone Killa.
    The Saint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast