1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I'm supposed to get a new phone through Verizon next weekend and had pretty much settled on the Palm Pre Plus based on so many good reviews and trying it out against the Droid and HTC Eres. Despite the keyboard being a little on the small side, I think I like it better than the flat Droid one and the HTC virtual one, which was pretty sensitive.
    Anywho, after reading an article about the potential future of Palm, would it make sense for me to buy one now? I'd hate to pull the trigger only to have to trade it in in a few months because the company shuts down. Or is the phone not really impacted if the company shuts down?
    Thanks for any info.
    If the company were to shut down you wouldn't have any real loss. You won't have to return the device (in fact you probably wont' be able to), the only difference will be the lack of new system updates. But you'll still have this community and the great phone.

I personally love the Palm Pre and would buy it even if Palm went under.
    The phone shouldn't be impacted. Any such problems are >12 months away given Palm's cash on hand. If palm cont to have problems, they would more than likely be bought out by nokia, htc, etc if for nothing else than their patents.
    Honestly you are safe to buy a Pre Plus. Palm are not going to go down that easily and if they are going under it won't be for a while. In the unlikely event that they do, they'll most likely be bought by another company so I would expect services like the over-the-air-backup to continue in that manner.

In any case, if Palm go under your phone won't suddenly become a paperweight have no fear
  5.    #5  
    It's a relief to read that. I guess I'll be going with the Palm Pre then. Unfortunately when I went by the store last weekend, they didn't have the Web running on it, so hopefully I can try it out before I buy it, but I found the Droid one easy enough, and it sounds like the Palm one is way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Honestly you are safe to buy a Pre Plus. Palm are not going to go down that easily and if they are going under it won't be for a while. In the unlikely event that they do, they'll most likely be bought by another company so I would expect services like the over-the-air-backup to continue in that manner.

In any case, if Palm go under your phone won't suddenly become a paperweight have no fear
    Worst (and I mean WORST) case scenario, doesn't PocketMirror and Missing Sync allow you to sync without the cloud?

Also, look at WinMX, the company abandoned it in 2005, but community ran servers for almost 3 years, only phasing out because it didn't support Unicode.

So I'm not too worried about it. I still want one.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by alohaboy View Post
    It's a relief to read that. I guess I'll be going with the Palm Pre then. Unfortunately when I went by the store last weekend, they didn't have the Web running on it, so hopefully I can try it out before I buy it, but I found the Droid one easy enough, and it sounds like the Palm one is way better.
    Don't they have a 30 day trial period like most carriers do? You could get it and then try it out. the browser is great and this phone is still the best on the market. I really hate how Verizon is pushing people towards the DROID....I have seen and tested one with a friend, and I can say that I was not too impressed.

so pick one up ASAP and start enjoying the experience, you wont regret your decision.
  8.    #8  
    Awesome. Thanks for all of the advice.
    Its kinda sad that this question even comes up these days. I think the bad financial news, makes stock drop, makes people think twice, makes them not buy the phone, makes palm not sell as many phones.... etc.

Its a great phone, syncs with online services so you aren't dependent on the platform anyway. The phone should last you long enough till your next upgrade and you can decide then.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yes!
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, we're due to upgrade every year, but I usually wait until every 2 years. This seems to be the phone that'll best serve my needs, as limited as they are.
    I've got an LG Dare with a virtual keyboard, but the keys are small so I'm constantly hitting other keys. Seeing as the keys on the Pre Plus are raised, it should be less of a problem. Like I said earlier, I liked the Droid, but with the keys being pretty much flat, it was harder to type because I couldn't always tell where I was on the board and double keyed a number of times.
    Based on what I've read here, on the Verizon site, CNet, etc, I'm pretty excited to be getting this phone. It'll be my first smartphone.
  12.    #12  
    Well, good news and bad news.
    Bad news (for me at least) - They were sold out so I had to order one. It should be here in 2-3 days.
    Good news - They were sold out. That could be a sign that people are catching on to the Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by alohaboy View Post
    Well, good news and bad news.
    Bad news (for me at least) - They were sold out so I had to order one. It should be here in 2-3 days.
    Good news - They were sold out. That could be a sign that people are catching on to the Palm.
    Interesting. Did you walk into a retail store? If so, I would be interested in your thoughts on the experience, if you have some time, could you please rate it in the "Official: rate your Verizon store thread"?

URL for that thread is copied below but something seems wrong with the way precentral is coding it so you may have to search for it, sorry

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html

many thanks
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/28/2010 at 01:30 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, I walked in and told the girl exactly what I wanted, to which she commented, "Good choice." They didn't try to sell me a Droid, although I did mess around with both again just to make sure the Pre was what I wanted.
  15.    #15  
    Woo hoo! It finally came. Took it to the store, got my contacts moved over, etc. The only thing I wasn't sure about, and haven't done much checking on, is whether the Pre Plus uses a MicroSD card so I can move my pictures over easily.
    I'm excited to start working with it, I just have to wait for the update to finish.
    I am also kind of torn between the Pre + and Droid.

We just signed up with VZW last week and bought 2 Storm 2's, ( longtime BB users ) reception on them is horrible, they will be getting exchanged today, while the kid's new LG phones reception is great. I ruled out the network and point to the phone itself. Same at home as at work for me, call quality is poor and most important to me is phone first and the rest is just a bonus.

I have always liked palm products but I do have some concerns based on some things I have read.

1. Battery life.
    2. Syncing iTunes.
    3. Auto Correct or lack there of.
    How has call quality been?

After reading and watching videos for the last 3 days on both I am still torn.
    While I know there may be some bias being a Palm forum I am just looking for honest opinions.

I forgot all of our home computers are Mac's running Snow Leopard. It appears like Palm has no intention of creating desktop software for the OS. I would not mind a web based work around.

Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by Ruttrow; 04/03/2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Mac note