1.    #1  
    Let's look at the facts: It is March 19 and there has been no announcment of a new product. The sell through of current devices is low, acccording to Palm's earnings call, so they would be canabalizing sales if a new product was released. Palm is struggling financially still, with loses of 22 million, so they probably don't have the resources for a lot of development. At&T still has not release its version of the Pre (if they will). And Palm is still trying to push the Pre into new markets globally, so again releasing a new product now, if they even have one, would thwart those efforts.

I think with the preceding evidence it is extremely unlikely that a new phone will surface prior to 2011, with a June 2011 release most probable. Let's hope Palm can survive that long.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I couldnt agree with you more! I was thinking the same thing when Jon said they had something like 500,000 units still out there to be sold. Why would they release a new device with all those units still out there? Seems counter productive to me anyway. This is very unfortunate though because me like everyon else was hoping to see some type of new device soon but oh well I still love my Pre
    Honestly I can't help but agree with you. I've had that nagging thought since reading about the earnings call.

On the other hand... I can remember the blog headlines in December 08, and the incessant death vigil for palm back then...

and NO ONE could have predicted the awesomeness that was unveiled at CES. Since then we've seen a new, responsive Palm. So here's hoping there's another wonderful surprise up their sleeve.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Rubenstein has already stated today that a new device will be unveiled later this year.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Rubenstein has already stated today that a new device will be unveiled later this year.
    I hope your right. I love webos, I just want an oled screen with the same quality of this one (how you can see it in direct sun light), 1ghz processor with 1gb of ram. 512mb to the gpu.. I mean just look at the video of the pre at 256mb ram over o.c. To 800mhz.. It shines, can you imagine with the specs up there how it would do.. You could throw anything at it. That's why I'm here til the end only comp in my eyes is wm7, there's too many different andriod os's floating around and if I had andriod I wouldn't want the sense ui over it.. It takes away from the uniquness of that os...
    a new device will be release later this year.
    Even if you have a product still in inventory, having the next product fast to market is Palm's most logical step. Palm needs to look at the facts: if they announce a new device within the next few months, their stock will go up, which will allow them to have more capital. With more capital, they can concentrate on advertising associated with the product and financing the launch. Palm really needs to move fast to catch current webOS users before they jump ship and attract new users before Apple and Google come out with new devices to counter their competition.

With Palm's stock in the crap zone they need to start worrying about a hostile takeover or acquisition from another firm. TBH, although Palm may not like the idea of an acquisition, I think Palm users would benefit from a bigger company taking them over. Think of it in terms of business: great product, great potential, great market, low low price. While Palm is interested in ROI now, firms taking over Palm can barrel more money into development to increase their future ROI. More money = more return, and if a competing firm can put a competitor out of business AND pick up a money making product for cheap, it's a win-win situation.

However, there's also the idea that a competing firm will pickup Palm and then ditch webOS afterwards.

Anyways, I hope Palm is putting some ****ing thought into their next product strategy instead of just pushing it out with no real thought.
    What is soo funny to me is how high the expectations are for such a small company. I mean, I am almost as impatient as the next person, but a dose of reality will help you realize that they are not just a) sitting around working on 1.4.1 or 1.5, b) waiting for June 6th to come out with a new device! The new device(s) have long been in the works, and has been confirmed by Ruby in a statement late Friday afternoon. C'mon...think about how long it took for them to come out with the Pre before they announced it. They are NOT resting on their laurels. They are simply not moving as fast as you want them (and I admit, since all of America has ADD, this may kill them...)!
  9.    #9  
    They are not moving fast enough for their competition, not me. Today we hear AT&T will not get PalmPlus and PixiPlus for a couple of months. It took six months from the last time they announced a new product until release. I think it is very opitimistic to assume we will have a new Palm product in hand before next year. Rubenstein is aof ocurse going to say he will have a new product before the end of the year. But I think the reality will be otherwise.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I would think unveiled later this year, released next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    I would think unveiled later this year, released next year.
    If no new devices released THIS year, Palm closes up... NEXT YEAR.

I don't know how much longer the elevation partners intend to continue losing monumental amounts of money on palm going forward, but their very best efforts from such a tiny company STILL haven't been enough to remain competitive.

They are exhausted after a herculean effort to resurrect palm. Despite new form factors, software and os updates, they STILL show signs of weakening toward insolvency.

This is a cursed company it would seem.

The future is going to be APPLE/ ANDROID / BLACKBERRY.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    a new device will be release later this year.
    It will be around the 1 year mark of the Pre (June), I think Palm planned/plans to have an iPhone type yearly product launch.
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    Plam has to include a charger, and spare battery with every-phone sold, then use the 800mhz patch.. Also make the phone automatically slow down, or stop sending data, when it gets to hot.. Then we won't need a new phone...
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    If Palm does not have a flagship device by the Holiday season, they are finished. They can not survive. Why is anyone going to buy a Palm Pre Plus on ATT when they can buy an iPhone? Regardless of what some may think. Especially with a new iphone due.
    Quote Originally Posted by rldev View Post
    If Palm does not have a flagship device by the Holiday season, they are finished. They can not survive. Why is anyone going to buy a Palm Pre Plus on ATT when they can buy an iPhone? Regardless of what some may think. Especially with a new iphone due.
    Actually there are several people who have either switched from an iphone (including myself, iphone to Pre by way of Blackberry)to a Pre, or are waiting for the Pre on AT&T specifically. Another big factor is going to be cost, not everyone who wants a top notch phone capable of stellar (and some less than stellar) 3D games are gonna wanna pay what the next gen iphone is going to cost. $149.99 with a $100.00 mail in rebate is going to pull some sales (not much mind you) from the iphone.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    The more I think about the article I read early this morning that predicted Palm sales of about 5 million phones in 2010, I think it isn't too far off. I posted a thread elsewhere with the article and said I think they are off (high) some with their Verizon and AT&T predictions, and 4 million is more likely. 4 million phones sold would be enough to keep them around, and that is not including a new device if one comes out. I do think a new device will come out (or be announced) by/during Fall.