Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As great as the pre is, riding a smartphone for a year can be dangerous. As stated above smartphone users are the type that want to upgrade more often then other users (Im apart of that crowd unfortunately). If palm comes out with a better webos phone Ill dump my pre like a bad habit to get the updated/better version.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    It's been mentioned a few times that the original Pre owners might jump ship if there's no new device out when they're eligible to upgrade.

I think that part of it was slightly colored by my own experience that there's nothing else out there that interests me, and I'm more likely myself to wait for a bigger upgrade if I'm happy with the device I have now. That's true that many have to have the latest and greatest, even if it's an incremental upgrade.

But the main point of my argument is that Palm can't sustain releasing as many phones in such a short time as an HTC or Motorola can. If Palm releases a Snapdragon 1.3GHz, or OMAP3640 1GHz, or whatever in June, then when Tegra 2 / OMAP44xx / other Cortex A9 - based phones come out, you have the same situation we had last year.

At the time of the Pre's release, the chipset they used was literally the fastest out there, but a few short months later Snapdragon phones started coming into the mainstream, and all of a sudden the performance of the Pre wasn't anything special.

If that happens again, they're done for. ... Though they might be done for either way, waiting for what's going to be the most powerful for what should be some time would make more sense, in my opinion.
    Not me, I love my Pre, does everything I need and more, I see myself using/enjoying my launch day Pre for many more months.
    Palm needs new hardware sooner rather than later.

I picked up my Pre in Sept, and i've the luxury of being forced to see all of the cards on the table before my upgrade.

I can tell you right now though, HTC Supersonic is really looking tempting. Palm needs a blockbuster piece of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's been mentioned a few times that the original Pre owners might jump ship if there's no new device out when they're eligible to upgrade.

I think that part of it was slightly colored by my own experience that there's nothing else out there that interests me, and I'm more likely myself to wait for a bigger upgrade if I'm happy with the device I have now. That's true that many have to have the latest and greatest, even if it's an incremental upgrade.

But the main point of my argument is that Palm can't sustain releasing as many phones in such a short time as an HTC or Motorola can. If Palm releases a Snapdragon 1.3GHz, or OMAP3640 1GHz, or whatever in June, then when Tegra 2 / OMAP44xx / other Cortex A9 - based phones come out, you have the same situation we had last year.

At the time of the Pre's release, the chipset they used was literally the fastest out there, but a few short months later Snapdragon phones started coming into the mainstream, and all of a sudden the performance of the Pre wasn't anything special.

If that happens again, they're done for. ... Though they might be done for either way, waiting for what's going to be the most powerful for what should be some time would make more sense, in my opinion.
    The guts don't matter much here. It's not like Verizon or Sprint list the processor as a relevant spec in the stores or commercials.

Either the device (and its OS) is fast and responsive, or it isn't. The Pre is...sporadically. Droid and iPhone - with the same guts - are, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The guts don't matter much here. It's not like Verizon or Sprint list the processor as a relevant spec in the stores or commercials.
    You don't think the geekier segments getting say the Nexus One, for example, don't know what CPU is inside it?
    You don't think the geekier segments getting say the Nexus One, for example, don't know what CPU is inside it?
    geekier segments are a small amount of total consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    geekier segments are a small amount of total consumers.
    Definitely true. And last year, I'd have agreed that it doesn't really matter. But based on recent history, I'd say that it's those geekier segments that are driving adoption these days.

I never thought the Droid would catch on with the general public, for example, because they were pushing it too hard at the tech users. The commercials even make it seem a little foreboding for someone who's not as technical. But it seems that the strong launch with the more technical users has helped drive mainstream adoption for it.
    Oh, no doubt, but that device is proof positive that geek notoriety aint enough for robust mainstream sales.

Remember that every OS and handset manufacturer is chasing the smoothness and responsiveness of iPhone, which first had Hero-esque (ARM11) guts, then upgraded to the Cortex A8, where it's now smoother and more responsive than any Snapdragon handset currently on the market.

That shows you that it's not about the horsepower, but rather what you do with it.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I have to agree. A multicore CPU + enabled GPU in the GUI + 1 GB of memory and the Pre will be a power house. I couldn't even begin to imagine how fast that device would be and it would definitely get attention. So what if we need to carry a car batter around to keep it powered...so worth it
    Faster is irrelevant as the device is fast enough, technically. The OS is what makes it not as snappy. The Droid uses the same processor at a LOWER clock rate! There are many more factors... how about screen resolution? how about storage space? How many people will buy these devices if there aren't enough apps to keep people happy? That's probably one of the biggest holes.

My fear is that the rolling stone might gather moss. Unless Palm can get a huge influx of interest and development for WebOS, how many are going to buy a Pre Plus over a Droid or a Nexus over the next few months?

I don't think some of you guys get it. I warned people here about the huge cash burn Palm was going through and they had a year left. At the current rate they are fully out of cash before year's end. There are tons of Palm devices in inventory right now so this means sales are not going to be that good at all - from Palm to vendors. They had best get out whatever they are getting out soon or they will run out of cash and start reducing their marketable securities to cash very quickly since that is all they will have left to get them into 2011.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    needs to be 4g device to get a good rep from sprint.
    [QUOTE=Renderhaus.

Like many, I'd like it sooner rather than later. But unlike many (on this board), I don't even have one yet.]

Im with ya on this one. My contract is up in Aug so I can renew in June. I really want to know whats in the future for Palm. I want a Pre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12