Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm, Please Get It Together - Reviews by PC Magazine

Here's an interesting editorial from Lance Ulanoff, who is a fan of the Pre:

I won't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes at Palm, but I have a theory about why 2009 turned out the way it did for the company. You see, I was under the mistaken impression that Palm had worked on the Pre for years and that the launch was the culmination of a long and intense effort to reinvent the company. Now I realize that it was likely a Hail-Mary pass. Obviously, a lot of people did work long and hard on the Pre (in fact, many of them were former Apple iPhone developers), but I think Palm actually had to rush the Pre and WebOS out the door. Someone realized the company had to make a major product strategy statement at CES 2009 or risk fading away—and fast. So the Pre and WebOS were launched, but no one was ready. The SDK clearly was not, and Palm tried dancing around the fact that it had only half a story for most of 2009.

I think this is right on-target. Everything we have seen for this platform, thus far has been half-baked and underwhelming in practice. The hardware looked good but was flawed. The OS looked good but was missing some key ingredients. The SDK definitely isn't all there. The international launch is not effective. The PDK works as long as you are willing to do a reset multiple times per day. The homebrew thing is charming for modders but really is a turn-off to most users and isn't compatible with broad consumer acceptance.

Everything seems rushed. Most features really don't work as well as imagined. While it make things interesting to follow from a hobbyist standpoint, it's not what the smartphone market is looking for right now.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 03/18/2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Palm had no choice, it was definitely rough around the edges, but they had to get it out by then.

I think at this point really, the only chance they have is a new device and a "re-launch" later this year. The OS is definitely much more finished now, so if they get out some new hardware and treat it as they did the initial release (but with better advertising), they could drum up a lot of interest.
    ouch
    well if that isn't a kick in the 'nads to palm i don't know what is
    I stopped reading when the author used the phrase Palm "knocked our socks off, literally".

Any writer who doesn't know the difference between the words "literally" and "figuratively" is too ignorant to discuss anything intelligently.
    A couple things: Apple had all the time in the world to get the iPhone just right for it's initial launch. The industry was stagnant at that time and may still have been today if the iPhone hadn't come out. Palm had no such luxury.

Also, Palm put out a video in August of 2008 on their corporate site, teasing a new operating system. The OS looks COMPLETELY different than webOS. While new and different, it clearly looks like it evolved from the old PalmOS.
    Actually, I think WebOS was great from the beginning, and was by far the best part of the phone. There were features missing, but those are programs, not operating system issues. Visual voice mail, voice dial, video recording, etc.

It has been the lack of certain expected features and disappointing hardware that has hurt the Pre. WebOS is universally hailed as fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    but I think Palm actually had to rush the Pre and WebOS out the door.
    He is forgetting that years ago Palm had created a mobile Linux OS called "Cobalt". And that Palm purchased a Chinese-Based company that specialized in Mobile Linux. So it's not like Palm started from scratch. Palm knew what they were doing, but they did rush to the market as fast as possible. That is why there was and still is limitations; that end up getting Unlocked with each WebOS Update.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    He is forgetting that years ago Palm had created a mobile Linux OS called "Cobalt". And that Palm purchased a Chinese-Based company that specialized in Mobile Linux. So it's not like Palm started from scratch. Palm knew what they were doing, but they did rush to the market as fast as possible. That is why there was and still is limitations; that end up getting Unlocked with each WebOS Update.
    Wrong.

Palm split into PalmOne and PalmSource.

PalmOne is the hardware company that is now named Palm again.

PalmSource is the software company. They produced Cobalt. Then PalmSource, which has nothing to do with the current Palm, was bought by Access, the company that specialized in Mobile Linux. PalmSource didn't buy anyone. And Access and PalmSource, and therefore ALP and Cobalt, have absolutely nothing to do with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wrong.

Palm split into PalmOne and PalmSource.

PalmOne is the hardware company that is now named Palm again.

PalmSource is the software company. They produced Cobalt. Then PalmSource, which has nothing to do with the current Palm, was bought by Access, the company that specialized in Mobile Linux. PalmSource didn't buy anyone. And Access and PalmSource, and therefore ALP and Cobalt, have absolutely nothing to do with Palm.

You don't have to be a jack ***** about it. Both the Hardware and Software branches were part of the same company. So I was just referring to Palm in general. Palm in general has experience with Lunix.

I don't know how I was being any way about it, other than telling you that you were wrong, which you still mostly are, though I was incorrect about one thing in the history as well. That'd be the second time you're reading some sinister intention that isn't present into my response, but whatever.

But anyway...

When Palm split into PalmOne and PalmSource, the newest OS was Garnet, which has absolutely nothing to do with Linux in any possible way.

It was a complete split (in 2003), so that licensees would have no disadvantage compared to PalmOne, so at that point, they were completely independent.

Then, in January 2004, PalmSource announced the completion of Cobalt. Still, absolutely nothing to do with Linux, still nothing to do with the hardware company.

You actually are correct that PalmSource acquired a small Linux company, apparently December 2004, ChinaMobileSoft. They announced the intention to use Linux as the basis for the next OS, but nothing came from that either. And then Access bought them, and they announced ALP a few years later, but no actual device has used that.

Even still, after 2003, the two companies had absolutely nothing to do with each other. PalmOne (renamed Palm in 2005) was going to use their own OS as a successor to Garnet, which they did work on for years... but it was pretty much scrapped completely when they decided to work on what's now webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know how I was being any way about it, other than telling you that you were wrong, which you still mostly are, though I was incorrect about one thing in the history as well. That'd be the second time you're reading some sinister intention that isn't present into my response, but whatever.

But anyway...
    Your being what I call Nerd-Rude. Where your trying to be helpful, but in a condescending way. Your talking down to me. I don't want the life story of Palm. I was just making a comment; whether Right or Wrong. But if your going to offer insight, then why not say it in a polite way? Instead of talking down to me on both of your thread posts? If you can't see that your posts come off as rude, then I just won't read your posts anymore. Be polite and helpful. That is the best way to explain something

There's nothing in this article we didn't already know. It seems that Palm may have underestimated the level of competition they would be facing in this market and simply were not well prepared. Whatever the case, it's kind of morbidly entertaining watching this high paid team of "All-Star" executives who are supposed to know what they are doing continually having to apologize, revise, rescind, eat their words, basically act like a bunch of bumbling idiots trying to plug holes in a boat. This is the type of management you would expect from a government agency; not a publicly traded company in the U.S.

Anyway I think it will all work out in the end for WebOS, one way or another. But this is the type of thing that lives on as a humorous case study in business schools, on strategies that seemed like a good idea at the time...like the iTunes fiasco. Businesspeople will be scratching their heads over that one for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    There's nothing in this article we didn't already know. It seems that Palm may have underestimated the level of competition they would be facing in this market and simply were not well prepared. Whatever the case, it's kind of morbidly entertaining watching this high paid team of "All-Star" executives who are supposed to know what they are doing continually having to apologize, revise, rescind, eat their words, basically act like a bunch of bumbling idiots trying to plug holes in a boat. This is the type of management you would expect from a government agency; not a publicly traded company in the U.S.

Anyway I think it will all work out in the end for WebOS, one way or another. But this is the type of thing that lives on as a humorous case study in business schools, on strategies that seemed like a good idea at the time...like the iTunes fiasco. Businesspeople will be scratching their heads over that one for a long time.

I still hold firm on the idea that the WebOS isn't doing as well, because the marketing is stupid. The commericals don't explain much of anything. If Palm was more cleaver and had ad's like AT&T's iPhone commericals; then Palm would be doing better. I really think Palm needs to make commericals where some Tech-Savy celeb's do a side-by-side comparison where the WebOS is pitted againt the iPhone, Droid, Blackberry, ect. So it's not so much that the WebOS was rushed, it's the commericals and ad's are not detailed enough.

PC-Mag lost it a long time ago. They can't get it right about PC's, I don't know why anyone would turn to them for smartphone information.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I stopped reading when the author used the phrase Palm "knocked our socks off, literally".

Any writer who doesn't know the difference between the words "literally" and "figuratively" is too ignorant to discuss anything intelligently.
    But its true. Palm came in while they were sleeping and stole their socks! Now they are quite bitter about it, hence the article.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    this thread threw me for a loop, literally

for serial
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I think PALM came out with a great phone, with a great OS and had okay advertising for it (along with great buzz).

The sad fact is, is that the market is dominated by two giants right now. It was nearly impossible for PALM to succeed no matter how spectacular the phone is.

I guarantee you if Apple had released the PRE with WebOS as the next generation iPhone it would have sold record breaking numbers. It has nothing to do with the phone itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

The sad fact is, is that the market is dominated by two giants right now. It was nearly impossible for PALM to succeed no matter how spectacular the phone is.
    I love both the Pre and Sprint;unfortunately, both are facing giants.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    I love both the Pre and Sprint;unfortunately, both are facing giants.
    Please.

Quit giving excuses for them because of that.

Someone at Palm around CES 2009 time said something to the effect of they believed they had a better product than the iphone. I think they were being asked if it would be priced higher, the same, less, etc.

Boom. I thought it was on. Ex apple team at Palm. Came out with the itunes tweak. Let's get it on.

We had McNamee talking about how great RIM and Apple are in one breath but throwing in lines like all those iphone users will want the next hot phone, etc.

Then we get the anemic launch on Sprint. A quiet launch. (Aren't all palm launches quiet?). A commercial with a borg queen and the Chinese swimming team?

I felt like that woman from the wendy's commercials....where's the beef? Furthermore, where was that fire at? Where was that "we're better than the iphone" mentality? Where was the aggressive marketing going RIGHT AT apple? Where was their survivor mode? This was their hail mary.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast