Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Please.

Quit giving excuses for them because of that.

Someone at Palm around CES 2009 time said something to the effect of they believed they had a better product than the iphone. I think they were being asked if it would be priced higher, the same, less, etc.

Boom. I thought it was on. Ex apple team at Palm. Came out with the itunes tweak. Let's get it on.

We had McNamee talking about how great RIM and Apple are in one breath but throwing in lines like all those iphone users will want the next hot phone, etc.

Then we get the anemic launch on Sprint. A quiet launch. (Aren't all palm launches quiet?). A commercial with a borg queen and the Chinese swimming team?

I felt like that woman from the wendy's commercials....where's the beef? Furthermore, where was that fire at? Where was that "we're better than the iphone" mentality? Where was the aggressive marketing going RIGHT AT apple? Where was their survivor mode? This was their hail mary.
    I still feel like Sprint mostly did their job, but their pre-Pre commercials were diluted because they were rebranding their own Now network, and needed to stress that more than any one device.

That being said, whoever decided to do the giant Facebook page commercial probably needs a dragon punch to the 'taint. Aside from the Borg Queen nonsense, this was probably the second worst idea to promote either the Pre or WebOS ("Hey...here's a popular app you won't have if you buy this phone!").

But even if Sprint and Palm ran with the iDont and WebOS does themes just as well as Verizon, the product wasn't there to justify it. No apps. No video. Rampant hardware returns. Copying iTunes. No Facebook. If they had woken the Apple sleeping giant, they would've been ethered by Apple's response ads.

And finally....THE PIXI. I mean, really, Palm?
    I guess they forgot about the Blackberry Storm... HORRENDOUS crash prone software, Extremely laggy had to click about 4-5 times just to get to contacts, the phone didn't know what side was "up" ... so when you went to answer a call and take it out of your pocket... the phone app would rotate back and fourth and the second you went to press answer... BOOM it would rotate and where the answer button was is now the hang up button. sometimes up to 8 seconds till it realized you wanted to answer the phone. Crashed on me during 911 call "messed up going into emergency mode" took 4-5 minutes to reboot as a lady is holding her bleeding child. Alot of blackberry apps were not compatible for the bigger screen.

Lots of memory leaks, build issues.. this by far was 100 times worse software then the Pre.. the Pre was MUCH better out of the box then the Blackberry Storm was. Even ask Kevin from crackberry about the blackberry storm... he will just shake his head and admit it was rushed and needed about a years more of internal development from RIM's OLD OS. and RIM has the money to throw at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...That being said, whoever decided to do the giant Facebook page commercial probably needs a dragon punch to the 'taint...
    Ok...that made me chuckle

So Here's my idea -
    Palm needs to scrap the whole idea and direction of their marketing right now. They need recognition...they need to be in the forefront of peoples minds. What's the best way to do that? Humor.

Cardfan mentioned above the "where's the beef" lady from the 80's. Everyone remember her? Even if you are young, I'm sure you've heard that tag-line. Even vegetarians walked around back then saying "where's the beef?". It was funny. It was simple. It was memorable. And just that tag line increased sales incredibly.

I truly believe Palm has the ability to capitalize on a simple slogan that a group of Palm fans created just before the launch of the Pre. I'm sure most of the PreCentral members have seen the videos: PAAAALLLLMMMM!!

These commercials were just plain funny and ingenious. Even if you read the boards here you will see people say "Paaaaalllllmmmm" every so often - referring to these commercials. Marketing is all about name recognition and impression. With simple, quick, and funny commercials like these Palm could literally have even those who have never even seen a Pre walking into rooms yelling "Paaalllmmm!!"... just like they did years ago with "where's the beef".

Come on Palm. Separate yourselves from the advertising pack (even Microsoft's new commercial is nearly identical to your new one - which completely keeps you from standing out in any way). Forget commercials pushing 'cards' and multitasking and such. Get people yelling your name and they will ask to see and try your products just because they want to see what they have been yelling about. Paaaalllllmmmmm!!

/my 2 cents.
    I actually had thought of that a while back in one of those design your own commercial threads. The Paaallmmm guy. I was thinking of a ninja dude that would just burst in on mock commercials of other popular cellphone commercials, yelling that out, and smacking em around.

Picture the iphone commercial with the hand in front of it. Palm dude bursting in, the annoying music coming to a halt, smack away the iphone, shouting Paaallmmm,
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Palm failed in '09 because they did not capitalize on the success of CES. If they had 3-6 month run-up against the iPhone 3GS and no decent Android offerings they would be in a VASTLY different place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    Palm failed in '09 because they did not capitalize on the success of CES. If they had 3-6 month run-up against the iPhone 3GS and no decent Android offerings they would be in a VASTLY different place.
    Could they ever have capitalized on those successes, tho?

If WebOS 1.1 was where they were at in June, can you imagine what it was like in February or April? Can you imagine them going for 6-8 months with app counts in the two-digit category?
    Things went downhill when people could actually hold & review the devices. Cheap, wobbly, low quality, plastic, high on defects, crap kb. If only it'd been a solid big screen slab instead.
    Things went downhill when people could actually hold & review the devices. Cheap, wobbly, low quality, plastic, high on defects, crap kb. If only it'd been a solid big screen slab instead.
    Agreed. My girlfriend said similar things the first time she held my phone - "feels like im going to break it" she said. First impression is huge with phones. ALOT of ppl arent gonna by something cheap.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Could they ever have capitalized on those successes, tho?

If WebOS 1.1 was where they were at in June, can you imagine what it was like in February or April? Can you imagine them going for 6-8 months with app counts in the two-digit category?
    Yeah I'm sure the bugs were terrible, but the phone looked pretty "feature complete" at CES. Doesn't look like they changed it THAT much from then until shipping. I'm guessing the majority of the delay was waiting on adequate inventory levels that they could ship with, but in retrospect the artificial demand Nintendo/etc. came up with may have worked better for them in the end and gave the device a little bit of mystique.

The other big ***** hardware mistake Palm made was shipping the phone with an 1100 mAh battery. They could have AT LEAST fit a 1300 mAh in there. The #1 concern I've heard about everyone who has returned the phone other than the hardware issues is the battery life and I agree - it was terrible on shipping and hasn't really gotten that much better for me. I can't really get through a full-day with it if I use it more than lightly and that isn't going to cut it for most people. Reminds me of my Motorola Q which they mostly "fixed" the batter life on the Q9c by adding a slightly bigger battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    Yeah I'm sure the bugs were terrible, but the phone looked pretty "feature complete" at CES. Doesn't look like they changed it THAT much from then until shipping. I'm guessing the majority of the delay was waiting on adequate inventory levels that they could ship with, but in retrospect the artificial demand Nintendo/etc. came up with may have worked better for them in the end and gave the device a little bit of mystique.

The other big ***** hardware mistake Palm made was shipping the phone with an 1100 mAh battery. They could have AT LEAST fit a 1300 mAh in there. The #1 concern I've heard about everyone who has returned the phone other than the hardware issues is the battery life and I agree - it was terrible on shipping and hasn't really gotten that much better for me. I can't really get through a full-day with it if I use it more than lightly and that isn't going to cut it for most people. Reminds me of my Motorola Q which they mostly "fixed" the batter life on the Q9c by adding a slightly bigger battery.
    its stuff like this that makes me want to go up to the decision makers at palm and be like....."why? explain giving less"

i understand less costs if smaller battery....but they should have KNOWN that 1100mAh barely lasts 7-8 hours with moderate to heavy use.
    The article was on the money. While I love WebOS(and have no intention of switching over to the other half-baked OS, Android), being a launch user really sucked! But, much better now, and I only see WebOS getting better. Now if I could get a bigger screened device because my fingers are too big for this small screen...
    My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan, he looked at me liked I’d peed on his rug. “Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product,” he asked, then walked away.
    Why indeed..
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    This all reminds me of how Apple started their comeback with OS X. Pretty sure it wasn't ready for prime time when it was released either. Oh, and Apple is doing just fine now.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    well if that isn't a kick in the 'nads to palm i don't know what is
    I think maybe the new $0 price target for its stock
    ...If only it'd been a solid big screen slab instead.
    Me, I hate slabs with a virulent passion. And I know a lot of other people hate them, too.

If the Pre didn't have a physical keyboard the iPhone-copy cat claims would have doubled and the post-CES buzz would have been chopped in half.

That being said, I do think Palm should come out with a slab for those that want one, like yourself. However, Rubenstein said specifically that all webOS devices would have a physical keyboard. But considering the iPhone is but one successful slab device means it would sell and, therefore, I think Palm should consider it.

A physical keyboard will always trump a software keyboard, but for some, a software keyboard is plenty good enough. And for those that want one, I hope they get it, but Palm was not wrong to start with a physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    I think maybe the new $0 price target for its stock
    yeah.....investors are kinda saying "your company is complete ****"
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Me, I hate slabs with a virulent passion. And I know a lot of other people hate them, too.

If the Pre didn't have a physical keyboard the iPhone-copy cat claims would have doubled and the post-CES buzz would have been chopped in half.

That being said, I do think Palm should come out with a slab for those that want one, like yourself. However, Rubenstein said specifically that all webOS devices would have a physical keyboard. But considering the iPhone is but one successful slab device means it would sell and, therefore, I think Palm should consider it.

A physical keyboard will always trump a software keyboard, but for some, a software keyboard is plenty good enough. And for those that want one, I hope they get it, but Palm was not wrong to start with a physical keyboard.
    Personally, i don't like em much either. I can tolerate apple's as it's the best virtual one i've used. On the other hand, i couldn't stand em on the diamond or even the Hero that i tried in store.

That aside, it still would've had a gesture area and cards interface to differentiate. I don't see HTC, RIM or anyone else getting hammered for having their slabs. It's simply being smart and recognizing that's what people want.
    The battery issue IS perplexing. Aside from any argument of how much larger it should have been, that it is identical to the Centro/800w battery is odd beyond compare.

One guess that I just came up with while typing the above: Remember the story how Rubenstein cancelled several products that were already in the pipeline? What if it Palm's master plan was to use the same battery for each of those cancelled devices? If the deal was already in place with the manufacterer, Palm would still have an obligation to meet. Hence, they were stuck designing the Pre with that size battery.

Eh? Thoughts?
    I think the form factor is one of the biggest issues with this phone, people look at the Driod and the iPhone and then look at the Pre and it just does not stand out. Small screen for a phone that runs games, movies etc.. just does not cut it. The slider makes the phone look cheap and weak.

Palm really needs two more phones with different form factors.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I've said all this before, but I think we've hit the wall.

I was an early Medical app programmer for palm and physician. Palm absolutely owned the PDA market, with occasional threat from Windows Mobile. They were stable, inexpensive, had great app support.

Palm was lead into the ground by bad leadership. Years went by and OS updates didn't come. They got stuck on single point touch screen and a growingly old OS. The company did so bad that they split units, tried to sell hardware, changed names, etc...

WebOS and the Pre were introduced TOO LATE to save them. I love the phone ... in fact many Wall-street analysts like the phone.

The point this author made was valid. WebOS should have been ready to go, without major flaw 1 year ago. Those of us that owned from the beginning stuggled with faulty hardware, limited software, etc... That was a poorly thrown "Hail Mary".

I will keep my Pre until it dies, but PALM will likely die soon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast