View Poll Results: What will happen to PALM?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm will make it through, it has to...

99 61.49%
  • Maybe...

39 24.22%
  • Sayonara Palm

20 12.42%
  • Good Ridance

3 1.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    You forgot Dreamcast.

I think Palm is going to be bought out unless they are both lucky and put out an amazing product.

All in all, I am starting to think that the Pixi was one of their biggest mistakes. Think of all the time they spent on the Pixi, and how much of that could have been put into making WebOS and the Pre better.
    yeah stupid decisions. i understand they wanted to take webos the way of the centro....but really? sprint pixi with NO wifi and then pixi plus 2 months later WITH wifi? thats just stupid.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    my bet is apps

make this phone so in touch with facebook, twitter, gmail that they are synonymous. great new start with the commercial, but they gotta step it up. they've been a niche product their whole existence, now they need to go public so to speak
    Only two things can save Palm.
    1) Start licensing WebOS to other manufacturers. That would generate millions in revenue, while at the same time getting WebOS into the hands of millions of people who might not have ever tried it otherwise.
    2) A new, fast as hell device. Large screen, fast processor, maybe even a candybar style along the lines of the Hero or Nexus One.

Short of those 2 things, it's RIP Palm.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    My guess is they will be acquired by one of the big three. That gives them Palms slick multitasking, but moreso it gives them ownership of the hundreds of patents and IP Palm has. Whoever owns palm will be bulletproof to litigation.
    The worst that could happen to Palm is they will be bought out. Everyone forgets about Palm patents, which are worth a fortune. HTC could buy them just so they could fight Apple. Why do you think Apple has not gone after Palm, because the Patents that Palm has could hurt Apple a lot. For those of you that don't know, Palm has the Patent on Airplane Mode. Plus WebOS is also nice for a perspective buyer. Palm will never go under. Only there name will probably disappear and be known as something else. AT&T became Cingular, then back to AT&T. The name will just change, the product will stay the same, but hopefully with better hardware from HTC, Nokia, Sony, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRagunton View Post
    I don't see a snowball's chance in hell of Palm surviving this. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy this company, and the big wigs of the company are continually making bad decisions when it comes to their products.

I remember when the Pre was shown at a CES show in Las Vegas several years ago. Everyone was going crazy about it and how it would be the phone to seriously give the iPhone a run for its money. Then we waited and waited and waited and waited and waited... It took quite sometime between the showing of the product and the eventual rolling out of the Pre. By that time several others had managed to get a jump ahead, and even though their products are (in my opinion) inferior to the Palm, they still got out there first and that's all it took.

The Palm executives are continually making bad decisions. While I love the Palm, I'm sick to death of what the management does for their product.
    Dude!! *** are you smoking?? "Several years ago" is NOT correct!! It's been JUST over a year since the Pre was debuted at the CES in Vegas!! OMG!! Is this what's happened to our world? We're so used to instant effin' gratification that we can't even recall that a year is NOT a long time...at least, not "several years?" You guys are acting as if the Pre were released 4 years ago and it's dead in the water!
    Things may not look so bright...but that's only because Apple and Google are blocking Pre from becoming the star it was destined to be.

Anyway...I have no idea what will happen. But, I do know one thing... If we keep losing a grip on what's real and what's imagined (i.e. "several years" = 13 months!) then we have way bigger problems than whether Palm survives or not!! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    The worst that could happen to Palm is they will be bought out. Everyone forgets about Palm patents, which are worth a fortune. HTC could buy them just so they could fight Apple. Why do you think Apple has not gone after Palm, because the Patents that Palm has could hurt Apple a lot. For those of you that don't know, Palm has the Patent on Airplane Mode. Plus WebOS is also nice for a perspective buyer. Palm will never go under. Only there name will probably disappear and be known as something else. AT&T became Cingular, then back to AT&T. The name will just change, the product will stay the same, but hopefully with better hardware from HTC, Nokia, Sony, etc.
    I dont want to get flamed for saying this, but im just curious how a company would go about rebranding something......like would they advertise it "the new sony webos device"? or something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    !
    Things may not look so bright...but that's only because Apple and Google are blocking Pre from becoming the star it was destined to be.
    Not exactly...

People WANT Android and iPhone OS devices. Nobody wants a WebOS device. That's the crux of the problem.
    tied up and beaten like a red headed stepchild.... That's Palm not me....or is that wishful thinking... Lol
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    It would be a shame for Palm to fold, or be bought out but thus far, even though they have a superior product (in my opinion) it is just not getting out. It will take a miracle. They, unfortunately, made some mistakes right from the get-go. If they would have launched with all their "old classic" partners they would have started with their old base and been in a better position. Launch with your base and then build.
    Wasn't the "plan" to be a niche market provider? Just how many optimistically make up this NICHE? Verizon may improve but will not be the savior. I'll do what I can Jon, but alot of people are very defensive about their phone choices.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    Yes. Blame everyone except Palm themselves.

Palm owned the handheld market for a very long time and instead of becoming better they sat on their hands and let a search engine and the Sephora of computer manufacturers run past them. And then, in a miraculous move Palm decided to wake up by hiring a brilliant mind and rebooting their product and image. And then sat on their hands once again by giving shoddy hardware, failing to advertise, slow updates and instead of offering a highly desired alternative with a big-screen slab device, we got an even smaller screen on crippled hardware.

Damn Google and Apple. It's all your fault for not letting the Palm star shine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    ....And then sat on their hands once again by giving shoddy hardware, failing to advertise, slow updates and instead of offering a highly desired alternative with a big-screen slab device, we got an even smaller screen on crippled hardware....
    This does have a bit of truth to it, as painful as it is to grasp. *sigh.
    I think Motorola and Palm would be a good fit. Motorola doesn't really have a OS of it's own but has always been well renowned for it's rock solid hardware. Palm has the awesome OS but crap hardware.
    Together, they could build some pretty impressive devices.
    Also, I think HTC and Palm would be a pretty good fit as well. With HTC's deep pockets and awesome hardware, sporting WebOS, they would be unstoppable.
    The Saint
    Palm will make a pre 2 with 2 Ghz processor, 32 GB or more storage + a micro sd slot, projector, 5 mp camera with zoom lens, so awesome in its awesomeness that every iphone owner will not only drool with envy, they will switch to a pre2!!! In order to get rid of all the extra pre's left over, there will be a purchase incentive for a free original pre with the purchase of a pre2. Palm will rule the smartphone kingdom forever and ever. The End.

Predicted by Sukiyaki, March 18, 2010 9:51 PM

So it is written, so let it be done....
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Here is a pretty interesting article in favor of Google buying Palm. After reading this article Google or Apple buying palm would pretty much rock the smartphone world in terms of patents IMO.
    Why Google Should Buy Palm - Apple - Gizmodo
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Palm has been considered down and out before. They will survive, but the big question is will they ever thrive?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Palm would have had to execute perfectly to re-enter the smartphone market starting from scratch this late in the game. The WebOS concept is the best, but implementation has not been perfect. There were too many hardware problems with the Pre and Palm completely blew it on positioning the Pixi.

I don't see any hardware companies being interested in acquiring Plan, since they can get Android for almost free. I think an acquisition by Blackberry is the one thing that makes sense. BB is is desperate need of an OS and wants to control their destiny.
    Last edited by miata; 03/18/2010 at 10:27 PM.
    I've done my part and gotten several people to buy the pre but at this point i can no longer recommend it. Even sprint employees, locally, lead people away from the phone to android. Android likely has two superphones on the wait to sprint. The Nexus one and the Supersonic and Microsoft will be blitzing the cellphone world this fall and they have all the money and connections palm doesnt to survive.

Unless palm has some dramatic new phone. its over. the pre is past its hot selling point. I went with the pre because webos is great and palm had great potential. they just botched it up with poor decisions and i cant recommend the phone to friends if the future of the company and platform is so uncertain. comes fall we will all know how this plays out and whether we will have to jump ship or not.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Not exactly...

People WANT Android and iPhone OS devices. Nobody wants a WebOS device. That's the crux of the problem.
    People don't KNOW about WebOS is the problem... If it had been marketed better people would WANT it... It is a better OS, and the potential is even better.
    Sprint Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast