Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I do agree with your main point of developers making a supposed "update" to move their application back up to the top of the app catalog list. I'm not pro either side of the political fence. But I do think its amusing to see people suddenly upset with something the other side of the fence endured during the last administration. That being said - don't take it as my personal stance. It just strikes me as definitively ironic.

@glassadam... my point wasn't an 'implication' as you put it. I was just placing a query out there and you chose to take it in a defensive way.

I do wish Palm would handle 'updated' apps a little differently - perhaps having a 'recently updated' category instead of bumping updates in the main catalog. Oh well... the whole catalog is still a work in progress and took Apple a couple of years to smooth theirs out (which they still have the same issue as this).
    That's a great idea, there. So simple... Why isn't something like this in effect?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Propaganda

1.) publicity to promote something: information put out by an organization or government to promote a policy, idea, or cause

2.).misleading publicity: deceptive or distorted information that is systematically spread

Encarta World English Dictionary

nobama app is certainly not #2 and it isn't #1 either its not there to promote an idea or policy, it counts down time to a hoped for event.

and i hope that event comes sooner.
    Seriously? Some people open an app everyday, just to see how many days there are left? That's weird.. Not cause it's politics, but cause it's so far away! It's over 3 years, do we really need a daily reminder of the exact amount of days? (that just makes it seem longer).

And i think the op's main problem is that the dev updates the apps description, to get it's app back to the top of the list. Palm should really be watching out for that (not political apps, but devs that make small changes to get a bump)...

now to controversial politics: They shouldn't allow any company/coreperation worth more than a billion make any donations to political parties. POLITICIANS ARE BEING BOUGHT! It's not a left or right thing, We spend 95 percent of the time arguing over what an ideal world should be like, but let the big companies who make sure only they get what they want control politicians. I'm not saying all politicians are the same, or both parties are equal, or anything like that. I'm saying we need to limit the amount of power big companies have on government. We argue over how much influence the government can have over big companies, but almost completely ignore how much power companies can have over the government...

While some prefer, and others hate some of the current changes in politics, we are not going to have a real debate about politics until cooperation are powerless.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    If you want CENSORSHIP, buy an iPhone!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    The only reason I downloaded the piece of trash was so I could blast it in the reviews section. And I'm sure many others did the same. It was uninstalled immediately afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    BTW, that app has nearly 11,000 downloads so I'm guessing there's reasonable market for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    The only reason I downloaded the piece of trash was so I could blast it in the reviews section. And I'm sure many others did the same. It was uninstalled immediately afterwards.
    hahaha....
    why not just create a personal 'filter' of junk apps for the app store..
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    doesn't bother me... then again i prolly don't open the catalog everyday.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    As a developer I'm not going to give my opinion on political apps (mainly because I've never written one). I do agree though that constant "bump" updates of any app in the catalog clog up the recent list. I think (like a couple others) that there should be both "new apps" and "updated apps" categories. I also think any updated app should say when it was last updated. This way content is not restricted at all while leaving the end user with a better way to find what *they want*.

- Phil -
  10.    #30  
    Developers can create any app they want; that part isn't a big deal. But when they keep updating the same stupid app; just so they can push their own personal ideals; then that is a problem. Updating-Bumps should only come from apps that are truly being updated. So if lets say Gameloft releases a game and it lacks a feature. Then when they release an Update; that is a big deal, and people want to know about. But just because some morons hate Someone/Something; that app shouldn't be Bumped right back to the top of the list,3 times a week!
    I don't honestly don't care how a person views this world; that is who they are. But I'm tired of checking out the app store each and everyday, and seeing the same Propaganda apps being Bumped, because the devloper changed something pointless in order to keep pushing their own personal point of view.

What These Developers "Should" Do.
    1. Make The App
    2. Post The App
    3. Only Update The App When It Is Truly Needed ((Like Every Other HONEST Developer. Because Honestly; How Many Times Have Major Apps Been Updated? Maybe Once Every Other Month. And These Stupid Propaganda Apps Are Being Updated Every Week.))
    4. If Your Not Going To Be Releasing A Valid Update; Then Don't Re-List Your App Over And Over Again.

That is the fair thing to do. Let customers pick which apps should be listed at the top. Not just list an app in the top because it was updated for the 50th time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    I'm sure many reviewers trashed it without even having downloaded it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    That is the fair thing to do. Let customers pick which apps should be listed at the top. Not just list an app in the top because it was updated for the 50th time.
    The app catalog does give you the option to list by popularity. (As well as date, price, and alphabetical).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I like how the original complaint of "stop approving propaganda apps" evolved more into "well, fine, at least stop allowing insignificant updates to bump an app back to the top of the list"

We certainly don't need or want Palm to be squelching particular types of speech.

The ability to bump your app via insignificant updates would be difficult-to-impossible to regulate. Instead, what would be nice, as some have suggested, is for them to give us a filter list so we could hide particular genres of apps (political, adult content, etc) and perhaps individual apps themselves. That'd be a simple feature to add to the App Catalog and leave it entirely up to the consumer to decide which content he gets to see for himself.

Maybe they could also allow us to pin favorite app genres to the top of the list, so people who get hot and bothered by Barack Obama or Karl Rove propaganda apps could get their fix.
    Last edited by theweaselslayer; 03/19/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    impossible to regulate. Instead, what would be nice, as some have suggested, is for them to give us a filter list so we could hide particular genres of apps (political, adult content, etc) and perhaps individual apps themselves. That'd be a simple feature to add to the App Catalog and leave it entirely up to the consumer to decide which content he gets to see for himself.

Maybe they could also allow us to pin favorite app genres to the top of the list, so people who get hot and bothered by Barack Obama or Karl Rove propaganda apps could get their fix.
    I believe there is a patch to filter out specific app vendors.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I have noticed for a while now that "Precentral" has been allowing a lot of Propaganda-"Threads". Threads that are just used to push an "OP's" own point of view. And these "OP's" keep posting so the threads can remain at the top of the Forum. Can't Precentral do something about this?
    Just changed a couple of words.
    Censorship is a slippery slope!
    lets not start!
    I just wanted to say real quick, Palm REALLY needs to force Appible LLC to consolidate all their book "apps". It's the same app, just with different text. You should be able to download the app for free, then purchase the books from inside the app.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12