Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    The smart phone gurus, while liking the Pre, are betting heavily on palm's failure. Are you seeing anything that leads you to believe that staying on this bandwagon is a winning decision?
    webOS, the operating system is second to none. That for me is enough to ride this ride as long as it lasts.
    Not all great ideas succeed in business, but I'm with xome1983, webOS is by far the best mobile operating system and is constantly improving, that is good enough for me to want to invest in their product and their company.
    There's no risk for end users. Buying the phone isn't buying their stock. If Palm should fade away, you can always jump to a new handset. Everyone here (on Sprint, at least) qualifies for a full upgrade every 12 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    Bankruptcy?
    They have to much cash for that to happen right now.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I don't think I've seen any analysts predict baknrupcy, even in a worst case scenario. FWIW, the "smart phone gurus" have been "betting heavily on Palm's failure" for several years now.

I'm seeing a lot to indicate that staying on the bandwagon is a winning decision. New apps are coming out almost daily now, the phone is being update more frequently than any other smartphone on the market, and there are many indications that it is becoming a popular platform for future apps.

On the other hand, if the platform should suddenly disappear, I'm elgible for an update in less than 3 months anyway.

I've already gotten more use out of the device than I thought I would, so there's no "buyer's remorse" for me here.

On the other hand, when I decided to go with the Pre, the device I was leaning towards at the time was a Blackberry Storm.
    Me thinks if Palm faded away, your carrier would do something to get you another phone. Upgrade price and all that...perhaps even a free exchange depending on how loud you got.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    If I'm right in my thinking, your phones functionality does not require a connection to the Palm servers, aside from data backup. So if Palm were to go bust and close its doors, theoretically the only thing that would change is you would only lose access to the parts of the phone that are specifically Palm services (app catalog, data backup). Your phone's calendar, email, contacts and such would still function because they don't need Palm.

So yeah, you would eventually want to jump ship as updates would be non-existent but the phone would be fine.
    I recognize that all of the doom and gloom has pushed my Pre into a profound depression and it therefore sometimes refuses to work for me. I often need to speak nicely to it and say that everything will be okay before it's willing to unlock. But that's okay, I'm happy to do it. After all, once it gets out of bed in the morning and gets moving, it tends to shake off it's funk and get some real work done.

If it commits suicide, then I'll be forced to move on to another platform. I understand that Android is schizophrenic, however, and so that's not a good trade off. The iPhone is a real narcissist, and I don't have any desire to deal with that. The Blackberry has no personality whatsoever, but it's a hard worker--what an unfortunate trade-off. And Windows Phone 7 is looking like it's learning some really bad habits from the iPhone, and thinks that being different is equivalent to being important.

So, I really have no idea what I'll do. Maybe I'll swear off technology completely and move to an Amish community.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Google and Apple appear to be such huge juggernauts that now Palm seems weak and outdated (this is the perception). I do think that Palm is the underdog and can pull it out if they just get their app store in good shape. I don't think that they are weak and outdated.
    However, I agree that WebOS is the best platform on the market. I've used iPhoneOS for 9 months, Android for 6 months, and WinMo for over a year. So yes I'm relatively new to the smartphone scene, but have enough diversity in my experience to call WebOS my favorite. The card system is awesome and clever, synergy does a fantastic job, and everything just works as I want it too.
    Android gave me too many choices (widgets, handsets, and themes)
    iPhone was intuitive and easy to look at, but boring when you got down to it.
    Windows Mobile, well I'm sure you can figure it out. I hated it.
    People talked about Apples demise for years and years. The thing that kept Apple going was that it had a small, very loyal base. I believe Palm has the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    People talked about Apples demise for years and years. The thing that kept Apple going was that it had a small, very loyal base. I believe Palm has the same thing.
    The difference is, however, that Apple hit rock bottom, then released the iMac which elevated them until the iPod hit, and the rest is history.

Now I am neither predicting nor hoping for Palm's demise, but I'm not sure simply releasing WebOS in a better, bigger form factor is going to shake up the industry and Palm's finances the way releasing MacOS in the iconic iMac form factor did.
    I bet Palm has one more chance to develop, release, and market a product that features webos. The earnings report today will tell a big part of the story but the bottom line is they're hemorrhaging cash badly, due to lack of demand for their product(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    The earnings report today will tell a big part of the story...
    I think we pretty much know what Palm's going to say. I'll be very surprised if there's anything new coming out of it... Of course, the analysts will treat it as if it's real news, and kick off another round of doom and gloom.

I'll have to put a 24-hour suicide watch on my Pre. It's going to be a long night.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Actual numbers for any company is real news, actually. There's a difference between getting the impression of something happening, and detailed confirmation of it happening.

I genuinely want to see Palm come out firing between CTIA and, say, May. They should be leaking details for what's next all over the place.
    I have been using palm products for way too long to switch. I'll ride this horse till the bitter end. However, even a bankruptcy does not mean the end of the Palm product or the WebOS. The possibilities of potential buyers and all the restructuring tactics the government gives big corporations make complete extinction of the palm unlikely.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    While Palm may or may not go bankrupt, I sincerely doubt WebOS would just fade away. It's an excellent platform and I'm sure RIM/Apple/Google knows this. Hell, if Palm dropped the hardware development side and just focused on WebOS ala Google with Android I think they could take over the market.

If Palm fell, their ancient patents in the PDA/smartphone space would be a huge asset to any of these companies (and right now Palm is the sleeping giant in the PDA world in terms of patents - not even Apple would dare touch them) and WebOS is another high $$$ asset any PDA/smartphone developer would want. It's Linux based, does real multi-tasking, AND has Flash support? NONE of the other smartphone makers have this right now.

IMO, RIM would stand to benefit the most from WebOS if they were to acquire Palm's holdings, since their OS so old and clunky vs. the competition it doesn't even register with the "hip" crowd Apple and Google currently enjoy. A phone as robust as the high-end Blackberries with WebOS would wipe the floor with both Apple AND Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    While Palm may or may not go bankrupt, I sincerely doubt WebOS would just fade away. It's an excellent platform and I'm sure RIM/Apple/Google knows this. Hell, if Palm dropped the hardware development side and just focused on WebOS ala Google with Android I think they could take over the market.

If Palm fell, their ancient patents in the PDA/smartphone space would be a huge asset to any of these companies (and right now Palm is the sleeping giant in the PDA world in terms of patents - not even Apple would dare touch them) and WebOS is another high $$$ asset any PDA/smartphone developer would want. It's Linux based, does real multi-tasking, AND has Flash support? NONE of the other smartphone makers have this right now.

IMO, RIM would stand to benefit the most from WebOS if they were to acquire Palm's holdings, since their OS so old and clunky vs. the competition it doesn't even register with the "hip" crowd Apple and Google currently enjoy. A phone as robust as the high-end Blackberries with WebOS would wipe the floor with both Apple AND Google.
    Oh man that's a scary thought. I never, ever thought I'd see the day when I'd want a Blackberry.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS