1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Since there are people/companies that upgrade the memory and processors in Palm's devices, Visors, Clies, etc., does anyone know if it's possible to do these sorts of upgrades on a Treo? I haven't seen any word one way or the other on that yet. If it's feasible, I'm surprised no one's said "I've done it!" yet, but if it's not feasible, I'm surprised no one's commented on that yet. Surely someone out there has dissected a Treo 180(g)....
    Originally posted by Q
    Since there are people/companies that upgrade the memory and processors in Palm's devices, Visors, Clies, etc., does anyone know if it's possible to do these sorts of upgrades on a Treo? <snip>...
    It's likely not possible. The TREO 180/270 already sports the most RAM available in a PalmOS handheld, 16MB. Since the processor is a 33Mhz processor, I believe it's the most RAM Addressable by the CPU.

However, it would be interesting to know if the SONY Clie NR70/v is limited to 16MB of RAM. Since it uses a different processor (operating at double the clock speed, 66Mhz) it may also be able to address more RAM. This is only a theory, I don't have the in-depth Electrical Engineering background to be able to come to an accurate conclusion if it's possible or not
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Visor Pro with the same specs as teh Treo 180 can be upgraded to 32 MB.
    From the Dragonball specs:

<snip>
    The MC9328MX1 SDRAMC features:

* Support for four banks of single data rate 64 Mbit, 128 Mbit, and 256 Mbit SDRAM

- Two independent chip-selects with a maximum of 64 Mbyte per chip-select

- Up to four banks active simultaneously for each chip-select

- JEDEC standard pinout and operation
    </snip>

To put it into plain words, the Treo's processor supports 32MB RAM for each memory bank, so if someone finds a way to fit 4 memory chips into the case, you could have 128MB RAM. But do not ask me if Palm OS supports this or how fast this would suckle the battery empty. By the way, the addressable RAM does not have _anything_ to do with the clock speed.
    <snip>
    To put it into plain words, the Treo's processor supports 32MB RAM for each memory bank, so if someone finds a way to fit 4 memory chips into the case, you could have 128MB RAM. But do not ask me if Palm OS supports this or how fast this would suckle the battery empty. By the way, the addressable RAM does not have _anything_ to do with the clock speed.
    Thanks for the clarification and correction! Hmmm... Then I'm suprized we are only seeing 16MB devices. Unless like you indicate, memory drain is the primary reason for not including more.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    You can always check this site:

http://www.palmpilotupgrade.com/about.html

The owner, Tony Rundenko, is very knowledgable and could answer any questions you may have if you e-mail him.